Avidyne - IFD440 & Software Release 10.1.0.0

I've got a Garmin 480, which I have to retire due to EU 8.33kHz requirements. On the basis that Garmin are doing nothing for me in terms of upgrade (rip it out and get a 750 as their response) I thought I'd go with something that doesn't lock me in to proprietary interfaces and will be less likely to break my other equipment (eg Aspen) when the unit software gets updated (look at the voiceflight fiasco). With the world (well, France certainly) gradually moving towards GNSS approaches and away from the ILS it wouldn't make sense to install a non-LPV type device, and the impending PBN requirements for SIDs and STARs really mean an SBAS receiver is the minimum spec

Welcome and thank you for sharing your expertise Simpson.

Great things come out through competition!

Wish you and Avidyne lots of luck!

Show me a business with best in class product, hyper-growth industry, and arrogant competitors...I want to invest in them. 

Simpson

Is there an IFD540 on line simulator similar to the G530 to play with. There is no one around in my airport with an IFD540 to play with. I think the IFD540 is an excellent option for those that have the G530. I find the IFD540 maps a little bit too cluttered, but I would imagine they can be uncluttered like on the G530.

José

Yes, we have a free iPad app found here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avidyne-ifd-am/id876452176?mt=8. There is also the option to switch it to the newly certified IFD440. We have a PC based sim here: http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd540/demo-sim-signup.asp also. I also run a webinar every Wednesday that covers major features and any questions.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think the comparisons are slightly off. You can't get a factory new G430W anymore. Sure, you can get a used one and upgrade it with FlightStream to have the Bluetooth capabilities if your goal is just cockpit connectivity.

Owners buy the IFD440 and IFD540 because they want the latest GPS/FMS/NAV/COM technology. They aren't just concerned about the features we have today but building a platform for the future. For example, we've just added 50+ customer facing features in this latest release of software and we aren't stopping there. We plan to continuously evolve and improve the IFD series, evident in the early decision to incorporate Bluetooth and WiFi in every IFD.

What separates us the most from competitors isn't just the one to one feature comparison but the ease of use that the whole platformed was built off of. We used the technology that we developed in our R9 platform and built the IFD's around that. All pilots can appreciate its ease of use; we constantly get airline pilots that stop by our booth telling us that they wish their, Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, had the same FMS as what we provide in the IFD's.

My point is, purchasing avionics is a long term investment, everyone knows that. We aren't building a product for just today and we put in place the features to make our product a viable option for years to come.

Your product is nice. I would like one, but the price point is off.

Undercut your competition for the basic box and you'll sell many more of these boxes. At least $1000 less than the Comp. Garmin units. Trying to justify the price based on the "Extra" features will not be as effective.

Careful with subjective thoughts on ease of user interface and feature improvement vs the competition. It's easy to be blind to the faults when "it's your baby."

The people you need to convince to buy are not necessarily people like me (brand blind and cash poor)... Your target audience needs to be people like PTK (a known Garmin fanboy). To sway them, you must strategically take away their capability to say "no." not only do your features have to exceed the GTN, but the price must be well lower.

Jmho. I do admit I'm not a marketing guru, but I did spend years in the aviation test and evaluation (and acquisitions) world.

Edit: I've flown 6 or 7 different jets. all would benefit from a modern interface. But "modern interface" isn't unique to avidyne- the Garmin interface is equally user friendly (subjective opinion based on comparing the two simulators).

Edit2: the real capability over a 430W is primarily in the "addons" (interface, not capability). A flightstream costs $700 and gets you that interface upgrade. The 440 costs $12000. Hard to justify for the average 430W owner... It's not like he's going to be capable of some new lower approach mins or capabilities....

Edit3- all that said I'll happily swap out my 430 and test one of your 440's out in my own aircraft for you- free of charge

• Like 1

Edit2: the real capability over a 430W is primarily in the "addons" (interface, not capability). A flightstream costs $700 and gets you that interface upgrade. The 440 costs $12000. Hard to justify for the average 430W owner... It's not like he's going to be capable of some new lower approach mins or capabilities....

I have a pre-buy Avidyne IFD440 for which I paid $8800, new they are $14995. They have already informed me that my ship date will be September 7, 2015.  I have since found enough room to put in a second Avidyne IFD540 instead.

So if someone has a Garmin 430W they can pay $8800 for my IFD440 and then sell their GS430W for $6500-$7000, meaning that for about $2000 they can slide in much newer technology that has wifi and bluetooth built in, new warranty, much easier interface, rubberbanding, touch screen, etc.

If anyone is interested let me know.

lancecasper@me.com

Your product is nice. I would like one, but the price point is off.

Undercut your competition for the basic box and you'll sell many more of these boxes. At least $1000 less than the Comp. Garmin units. Trying to justify the price based on the "Extra" features will not be as effective.

Careful with subjective thoughts on ease of user interface and feature improvement vs the competition. It's easy to be blind to the faults when "it's your baby."

The people you need to convince to buy are not necessarily people like me (brand blind and cash poor)... Your target audience needs to be people like PTK (a known Garmin fanboy). To sway them, you must strategically take away their capability to say "no." not only do your features have to exceed the GTN, but the price must be well lower.

Jmho. I do admit I'm not a marketing guru, but I did spend years in the aviation test and evaluation (and acquisitions) world.

Edit: I've flown 6 or 7 different jets. all would benefit from a modern interface. But "modern interface" isn't unique to avidyne- the Garmin interface is equally user friendly (subjective opinion based on comparing the two simulators).

Edit3- all that said I'll happily swap out my 430 and test one of your 440's out in my own aircraft for you- free of charge

Spot on man! A feature set of options rather than bundling them into the final product works for most aviation consumers. The "see how much you get for a lot?" approach doesn't because it drives the purchase cost too high. Aspen has the basic unit, you want to drop your primary instruments you can buy the extended battery option, you want SVT, extra, you want AOA, extra. Even Garmin has done this with the FlightStream and TAWS.

I also think it would help if you were able to do marketing targeted at an the open hierarchy many of us want. I know that your unit will work with an Aspen, but will it share the ADS-B technology with it? I'm sure I can find out by digging, but if you want to take a bite out of the gorilla's pile of bananas, you had better devise a way to get the gorilla to look the other way while you are doing it.

A perfect example is the Connect Pilot and Connext situation. The gorilla responded, didn't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1