DFC90 Potential Customer Poll

DFC90 Potential Customer Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which autopilot do you current own?

• STEC 20/30 series
    • STEC 50/60-1 series
    • STEC 55/55X/60-2 series
    • Bendix King KFC 150/2XX series
    • Bendix King KAP 1XX series
    • Century Series
    • Brittain Series
    • I don't own an autopilot
  2. 2. Do you own an Aspen PFD?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but would upgrade to obtain a DFC90
  3. 3. Would you consider upgrading/installing a DFC90 that would give you an autopilot capable of Envelope Protection, Envelope Alerting and Straight & Level, altitude preselect and constant airspeed climbs & descents?

Hello All,

Posting this poll to help assess our interest in upgrading an autopilot to the DFC90. Those who own Aspen PFDs & STEC APs could take advantage of the upgrade path to obtain a digital autopilot controlled through your Aspen. The control would allow altitude pre-select and constant airspeed climbs and descents. This video shows the DFC90 at work in a Bonanza: https://youtu.be/h3XgSevWf1M

• Like 1

Avidyne has some sort of partnership or arrangement with Aspen, so I doubt we'll ever see any functionality with Garmin and their G500 system.  Garmin could (and should!) make their awesome GFC 700 autopilot available for the aftermarket in conjunction with a G500, but thus far they have not done so.  This potential move by Avidyne could grab lots of market share before Garmin enters.

Traditionally all of the extra features with autopilots like altitude preselect, glideslope capturing, constant airspeed ascent/descent, etc. have required lots of extra boxes or functions in the computer that drive up the cost.  Putting all of this logic into a modern digital autopilot with inputs from a modern AHRS promises to add capability at more reasonable costs IMO.  I would love to see Aspen and Avidyne get this done.  Avidyne is also wise to make it compatible with existing installed autopilot systems by re-using the servos.

• Like 3

Simpson,

Thanks for representing your company out in our neighborhood. It is good to have you here.

With the KAP 150, I have the rate of climb/descent, hold altitude or angle of climb.

I do not have GPSS or altitude set.

It would be nice to step up a digital interface for these.

Aging memory/attention issues makes me appreciate devices that keep me from exceeding limitations like altitude or next waypoint.

8 more years of college tuition to go...two students just getting started.

Best regards,

-a-

I have a Century 31 on my M20J that guides the plane down to the rwy threshold on an ILS approach. I just adjust the throttle for speed. The Mooney is a stable platform. I would rather invest the money on performance improvements, comfort or safety enhancement (WX, traffic, EGT monitors, radar altimeter and others).

José