Update on Avidyne DFC 90?

I correct myself.  Looks like
-gfc600 is 23k
-the a36 is not in their stc queue.  But v35 is and say are several Cessna 210 models.  The p210 is not and people on beechtalk are saying it’s the pressurization which is the issue.  You would think if the T210 is covered by thegfc500 the so could m20k. But then they didn’t include a36...   this may be more of a marketing thing though selling to people what they think they can afford.
so it appears to me now gfc500 looks fantastic, plenty robust enough if the above are covered and generations ahead of all autopilots from the analogue era.
but most likely ... garmin and the Faa will be certifying exactly one autopilot of the gfc500/600 and we will not get to choose between them as individuals.
i would almost surely go dynon over gfc600+ g500 even though I like the features more on the garmin autopilots more.

My thinking is that it boils down to what you want for primary instruments. You either are happy with a dual G5 or you want real glass in the form of G500, txi or Aspen. That's what will determine your AP options. I don't believe for a second Garmin won't address both needs. But sure, it's going to take some time before Garmin starts providing overlap in choices. But There are many many glass installs in Mooney's which will require the the GFC600; mostly K's and up but as also J's and some older models. Of course I don't have any inside information, just speculation.

Minor point about the GFC500, but note basic pricing does not include the unknown cost for adding or replacing your current manual/electric trim or even the magnetometer. It only has one pitch servo. It's cool though that they say they will address that with an optional add on. But that would be a show stopper for many otherwise since it would be like the trainer APs used on the C172's and PA-28-xxx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

My thinking is that it boils down to what you want for primary instruments. You either are happy with a dual G5 or you want real glass in the form of G500, txi or Aspen. That's what will determine your AP options. I don't believe for a second Garmin won't address both needs. But sure, it's going to take some time before Garmin starts providing overlap in choices. But There are many many glass installs in Mooney's which will require the the GFC600; mostly K's and up but as also J's and some older models. Of course I don't have any inside information, just speculation.

Minor point about the GFC500, but note basic pricing does not include the unknown cost for adding or replacing your current manual/electric trim or even the magnetometer. It only has one pitch servo. It's cool though that they say they will address that with an optional add on. But that would be a show stopper for many otherwise since it would be like the trainer APs used on the C172's and PA-28-xxx.

You seem pretty sure the garmin cut off for the gfc500/600 will split between the m20k/j and maybe down half the j line.  I don’t know either way

• Like 1

You seem pretty sure the garmin cut off for the gfc500/600 will split between the m20k/j and maybe down half the j line.  I don’t know either way

Not really, I don't believe their will be any hard cutoff. I expect there will be plenty of overlap to give people choices. It's going to take time, but they have the interest in glass equipped Mooneys which are plentiful. Hard cutoffs like that would be unprecedented with Garmim.

• Like 1