Battery Power -the new Gill sealed battery 7243-14

tls pilot

There shouldn't be W & B change.

Your '89 J Model is 28 volts. The Gill 243 weighs 28.8 pounds. the Concorde 24-15M weighs 29.5 pounds. If the weight and balance difference is less than a pound you don't need an A & P signoff, just a logbook entry with your signature.

• 4 months later...

At the Groton Aopa weekend the Gill rep offered me two new Gill batteries to test and report on, I turned him down since my Concordes were pretty new, he mentioned the new gills  were much improved with more starting powered than the C's.

Kind of funny how all of the reports of the Gill battery's dying in two years and spewing acid all over your airplanes been ignored for all these years. Now all of a sudden you should use them because theyre better, we don't have any proof that but they're  better. 

• Like 1

MS is a pretty powerful reporting station for real world Mooney aviation challenges...

Having a pair of Concordes in the back... 

• I started this weekend without any battery maintenance checks...
  • I performed a warm start without selecting the battery with the most charge...

I’m going to need the precision of a digital voltmeter to tell which Brand C battery has the most charge.

I would have gladly taken the opportunity to have brand G support my battery needs.  They just couldn't reach me as the end user...

I bought the pair of Brand C with the BatteryMinder a year ago. Based solely on MS recommendations.  Close to one AMU all in including the mechanic's installation...

I was reluctant to change out one battery of a different brand at a time in the two battery system.  (Not really an issue)

Next Steps: Getting the Y wires installed to make battery charging simple without removing a panel...

Selling batteries is a technical sale that benefits from a sales guy with personality that isn't afraid to go online to demonstrate the value of what he has.

Brand C batteries last 5+ years in Mooney useage... they nearly sell themselves with their strong Mooney track record.

How Long will it take for Brand G to demonstrate a similar track record?

How Long will it take to overcome the memory of a brand G battery croaking at each annual....?

Competition is good for the Mooney owner.  It would be great to have Brand G here setting up users with their various requirements...

• 12v.
  • 24v.
  • single battery.
  • dual battery.
  • heavy usage 100+ hrs per year...
  • low usage <20 hours per year...
  • really hot down low in the summer.
  • really cold at altitude in the winter.

If you want to take on a battery challenge...  call the folks at Brand G.  Promise them that you will write about your experience....

Best regards,

-a-