Battery Power -the new Gill sealed battery 7243-14

tls pilot

The long bodied Mooney has two batteries. In the past I have experience with both named batteries, C and G. My experience over the years has been to replace the old wet type battery every 3-4 years.

Even the older sealed batteries suffered and did not perform well.

The new GILL 7000 series sealed battery (7243-14 for our Mooney's) is FANTASTIC!

WOW the starting power is the best ever! Truly,Hands down, no comparison.

I have used the Gill 7243-14 on extreme cold days in the Rockies and hot days in the south.

The cranking power is great even after prolonged time of no starts, this Gill sealed battery really performs!

Another important point I have observed over the last twenty years is the customer service and responsiveness of Gill. They are timely in taking your call or getting back to you. They will assist and troubleshot with you or your mechanic. A lost art in todays commercial world.

Please do not interpret this as a commercial but rather a way to assist others when they need a new battery and my experience with these new sealed batteries.

For years aircraft batteries have been old technology. Our cars have far better batteries and cranking power for a fraction of the price. Gill has spent time developing, testing, and certifying the 7000 series sealed battery and it shows! Thus far the cranking power cannot be beat. I will report back on longevity.

Happy Flying!

• Like 1

Only time will tell, I think that based on all the posts I have read including my own this is a tough room when it comes to Gill quality.  I hope you have good long service from your new bats.  Gill will have to prove itself a better choice than Concord and only time will make the difference.

I wish I could install an automotive bat in mine much cheaper and way more power.

• Like 2

The long bodied Mooney has two batteries. In the past I have experience with both named batteries, C and G. My experience over the years has been to replace the old wet type battery every 3-4 years.

Even the older sealed batteries suffered and did not perform well.

The new GILL 7000 series sealed battery (7243-14 for our Mooney's) is FANTASTIC!

WOW the starting power is the best ever! Truly,Hands down, no comparison.

I have used the Gill 7243-14 on extreme cold days in the Rockies and hot days in the south.

The cranking power is great even after prolonged time of no starts, this Gill sealed battery really performs!

Another important point I have observed over the last twenty years is the customer service and responsiveness of Gill. They are timely in taking your call or getting back to you. They will assist and troubleshot with you or your mechanic. A lost art in todays commercial world.

Please do not interpret this as a commercial but rather a way to assist others when they need a new battery and my experience with these new sealed batteries.

For years aircraft batteries have been old technology. Our cars have far better batteries and cranking power for a fraction of the price. Gill has spent time developing, testing, and certifying the 7000 series sealed battery and it shows! Thus far the cranking power cannot be beat. I will report back on longevity.

Happy Flying!

Thanks for the PIREP. How long it lasts is the concern. Gills for a number of us just didn't survive very long. My current Concorde has been in service 10 years. Just keeps working...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I switched from the Gill 243S after years of these batteries going dead in 18 months.  Decided to go with the Concordes and got the proper BatteryMinder.  Now the switching costs of going back to a Gill (even the new series) are too high....

• Like 2

Appreciate all the comments. No doubt the old Gill sealed Battery G243S was not very good at all.

And the old wet type batteries as mentioned would last 4 yrs.

These new 7000 series Gill batteries have great cranking power and a long reserve.

I believe they have solved their issues and in general the Gill is less in cost than the Concorde.

Lastly, I would recommend anybody replacing one battery replace both in those Mooney's that have two.

The most important thing along with longevity is to be able to start up in harsh conditions, cold, hot and after

prolonged non start ups.

I got over 10 years out of the last pair of G243's - They were getting a bit weak, so have replaced with another G243 and a CRG. The first is just coming up for a year old now, so way too early to be in a position for a comparison, but if you search the forums here you'll find lots of posts with varying experience. Either care of them, quality control, or something else has to be involved with the hugely varying way they perform and last.

I bought my first Bravo in '96 and changed Gills every two years, not by choice. On the next Bravo, after the first Gills went bad I went with Concordes and no problems for years. 

On the Ovation I have now it had Gills installed in 2014 before I bought it. I kept a battery minder on them, didn't have any problems, but two weeks ago decided to replace with Concordes and the correct Battery Minder (S5). 

If anyone wants a great deal on two 2014 Gill G-243 and you live around San Antonio let me know. They will be cheap.

Appreciate all the comments. No doubt the old Gill sealed Battery G243S was not very good at all.

And the old wet type batteries as mentioned would last 4 yrs.

These new 7000 series Gill batteries have great cranking power and a long reserve.

I believe they have solved their issues and in general the Gill is less in cost than the Concorde.

Lastly, I would recommend anybody replacing one battery replace both in those Mooney's that have two.

The most important thing along with longevity is to be able to start up in harsh conditions, cold, hot and after

prolonged non start ups.

Gill 7243-14 and Concorde 24-15 are the same price

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/gill11-13534.php#

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/rg2415.php?clickkey=915735

The Gill warranty:

The manufacturer will replace with a new battery without charge (except for transportation) any battery which fails in service within 90 days. Addition of any chemical other than water or battery grade sulfuric acid voids this warranty. After expiration of Service Guarantee, adjustment will be made on pro-rata basis based on unused months of service. Batteries that are broken, discharged or fail due to freezing or abuse are not covered.

The Concorde warranty: 

Warranty Coverages Should the CB Series or RG Series battery fail within the first 180 days from the date of installation or 300 hours of operation, whichever occurs first, it will be replaced by the distributor free of charge to the customer.

As a reciprocating engine starting battery or as a standby battery for essential power, the Concorde aircraft battery is warranted for two years (730 days) from the date of installation or for 1200 hours of operation, whichever occurs first. Should the battery fail after 180 days or 300 hours, but within two years (730 days) or 1200 hours of operation, the battery will be replaced or credit issued for a pro rata amount based on the days or operating hours of useful service life, whichever is greater. 

The 7000 series battery is a 24 month warranty

Perhaps you read the incorrect info posted on Spruce website

The one you quoted is for the old batteries

I copied that from clicking on the warranty tab on the page where the battery was found. Maybe aircraft spruce has it wrong. Gill's website doesn't show a warranty.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/gill11-13534.php#

Is the warranty declining, as in month 24 it dies, you get nada...

That's the Gill I am expecting. 2 years, it's dead, I get another.

Two batteries in the tail, seems like I get a new battery every year.

Tell me it is OK to have dissimilar batteries in the tail and I will swap them out to the longest lasting battery maker, one at a time...

Otherwise, I have dissimilar batteries in there already. One is new, the other just reached it's half life.

You aren't selling these things, are you?

Are we allowed to replace our own batteries ourselves, or does that still require a logbook entry?

you are allowed to replace the battery your self, but it does require a log book entry which you can do.

I just looked at the gill 7035-28 vs the Concord RG35AXC the numbers on the gill look good, but they do not have any history to back them up. I have used both batteries in the past and actually had a gill wet cell last me 7 yrs, but that was not the usual time frame for the gill, 2-3 was the norm. I can not rate the last Concord battery I installed in my plane due to the fact that I left an aux port turned on for a month and completely killed the battery. I did attempt to bring it back to life but was unsuccessful. I have to admit I was tempted to try the Gill but the price point difference was not there so I went with what I trust when I ordered my replacement.

Brian

• Like 1

From the FAA list of maintence a PP is allowed to do...

I was looking for the thread, but can't seem to find it.

Somebody had posted a lot of the details that are helpful to know...

Some are more obvious than others.

Best regards,

-a-

Isn't it FAR 91.43? Something like that. It lists each individual thing that we are permitted to do only to those planes that we own. I can help you do them, but cannot do them for you to your plane.

Here's a link to AOPA discussing things; I've not read it all, just enough to make sure I had the right FAR above.

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/PIC-archive/Aircraft-Ownership/Preventive-Maintenance

• Like 2

Are we allowed to replace our own batteries ourselves, or does that still require a logbook entry?

If you are switching battery types, be advised: When I replaced my Gill with a Concorde, there was enough of a weight difference that the W&B needed to be redone. That required an A&P.

If you are switching battery types, be advised: When I replaced my Gill with a Concorde, there was enough of a weight difference that the W&B needed to be redone. That required an A&P.

Yeah, there is 1lb of difference between the new Gill and old Gill (new one heavier). It will require a new W&B. One LB seems to be the magic number after which you can no longer note WB change as negligible.

• 1 month later...

May I ask why? If you have one battery that passes with flying colors and another that doesn't, why replace the good one? I am not challenging you but wanting to learn a fact based reason for doing so.

On another note, Concorde Battery once again have donated a battery to be given away at the Mooney Summit III as a door prize for our raffle. This, a new lightspeed Zulu PFX headset, a battery minder from VDC Electronics, a free annual inspection from Sunset eagle air, a LED nav strobe lighting kit, and many other great door prizes making a tax deductible donation to the Mooney Summit, Inc.a potentially profitable thing to do. One caveat, one must be present or have a designated proxy present to win and pick the prize when their ticket is called. All excess donations above the cost of producing the Mooney Summit will go to the Bill Gilliland foundation to provide immediate crisis intervention and financial aid to down pilots' families, a worthwhile reason to donate anyway.

Mike,

See if Concorde will answer that question?

I have a strong Gil and a weak Gil. At each annual inspection there is a question of replacing the weakest one.

Should I buy a Concorde to replace the weakest Gil for my two battery system.

Seems like I should. I'd really like their technical answer to this expensive situation...

Best regards,

-a-

Mike,

See if Concorde will answer that question?

I have a strong Gil and a weak Gil. At each annual inspection there is a question of replacing the weakest one.

Should I buy a Concorde to replace the weakest Gil for my two battery system.

Seems like I should. I'd really like their technical answer to this expensive situation...

Best regards,

-a-

Of course they will say to buy one to replace the weak battery. I would if I were them. My question is why replace both batteries as recommended by TLS Pilot. He has a reason to make that recommendation and I was curious what that might be. I don't think there is any hardware reason to do so, other than suspecting the good battery might be subject to the same causes of deterioration the bad battery was exposed to, but I could be wrong and would like to learn.

There is a significant difference between a weak battery vs strong battery. The system handles this difference pretty, well I think....

I am wondering if there is much difference between two different types or two different manufacturers in regards to the two battery Mooney system...

Acid vs Gell cell

Gil vs Concorde

If a technical guy at Concorde says, 'go ahead and mix them up' than I could be OK with that...

If he were to say 'Don't mix them up cause it will make us all look bad' that would be important too.

i would like to move toward Gell cell type Concordes, one battery at a time.... (Entrenched CB maneuver)

There is a significant difference between a weak battery vs strong battery. The system handles this difference pretty, well I think....

I am wondering if there is much difference between two different types or two different manufacturers in regards to the two battery Mooney system...

Acid vs Gell cell

Gil vs Concorde

If a technical guy at Concorde says, 'go ahead and mix them up' than I could be OK with that...

If he were to say 'Don't mix them up cause it will make us all look bad' that would be important too.

i would like to move toward Gell cell type Concordes, one battery at a time.... (Entrenched CB maneuver)

Best regards,

-a-

Instead of me calling and asking for you and relaying their answers, how about you giving them a call to hear what their opinion is first hand? Here is their number (626) 813-1234

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...