Mooney in Nashville area?

Mcoyne34

New to the site and fairly new to aviation. I'll be finishing up my ppl soon and I'm wanting to buy an airplane. I'm stuck between a V-tail bonanza and a mooney. Is there anyone on this site in the Nashville area that would be willing to show off their mooney to help me decide which way to go with my future purchase?

Thanks

Mike

We have a few guys on the forum in east TN. I'm in west TN, Dyersburg (KDYR). It's a short hop from Nashville. You are welcome to fly this way, grab lunch at the airport restaurant on the field and I'll show you 41M (73 M20E  The E's are short-body Mooneys).

-Tom

• Like 1

my budget isn't set in stone yet. I will have to finance the aircraft. As of right now I'm thinking somewhere in the $1500 home on the range. That includes my payment, insurance, hanger or tie down, fuel, reserves and all that good stuff. I'm thinking a C or E model but would love a J. my main mission will be under 2 hours. the sore body will work fine, I'll usually just be picking up my son and bringing him back home.

Houman, I'm out of town right now, otherwise I would love to come look at it. I work tower and approach at BNA so if you're ever back in the area, let me know and I'll check it out.

TWinter, that sounds great. I would like to take you up on that offer once I get my license. That should be soon once the plane I've been training in is back from its annual.

Just looking at basics, annuals hangar insurance and fuel for under 100 hrs per year it comes to 1100 a month for a C.  Could be less if you find that rare bird that don't have any thing wrong at annual time but if you find a big fix then could be more.  no matter what a Bonanza will cost more. Lots more

• Like 1

if my monthly price range is unrealistic, somebody please let me know.

A lot of that will depend on local costs.  Hangars vary a great deal from region to region. Insurance also varies on your experience but it's all based on hull value.  One major problem can eat up several months of your allowance.

What interest rates are you seeing?

How long is the loan?

I went with a 15yr loan on the O.

It takes some confidence in the plane you are buying to go that far...

PPI and MSC history are critical for financial protection.

You can buy and store an O for 1.5 AMU per mo. Insurance and gasoline will be extra...

My numbers may be a bit fuzzy because I bought it just after the financial crisis. Interest rates haven't changed much in five years.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Around 6% for 15 years, with intentions of paying it off in 5 or less unless the plane has some expensive fixes needed.

Excuse my ignorance,I'm a newbie. I know what PPI I'd but what's MSC?

I can buy and store an O for 1.5 AMU a month?

• Like 1

15 AMU X 15 yrs can get a lot of plane. The rest depends on your hangar cost.

Hangar, Insurance and annual maintenance for my Former C and R are very similar compared to the cost of acquisition which are very different. MPG isn't a whole lot different either...

Fuel, insurance and annuals are not included in these calculations.

If you are buying an O to put in storage....that may be considered (by some) a cognitively challenged investment plan.

Pre-Purchase Inspection done by a Mooney Service Center (or equivalent).

You are locking up a tidy some of dough, make sure you get a whole airplane in return.

There are some quirky things that can happen in an airplane's lifetime, including bends and corrosion.

This is one of the best ways available to make sure if it happened, you don't get stuck by it...

Not all maintenance organizations are the same, that includes some MSCs...

Keep both eyes open.

Get airplane ownership experience, then go O!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

an MSC is a mooney service center.  I always recommend Joey Cole in north georgia for people in our part of the country.  There are a lot of little things that can add up in ownership.  GPS updates run me 350/yr, foreflight is 150/yr, keeping my plane IFR certified is 350/2 years, cost of annuals vary quite a bit.  In Georgia, there is property tax which is based on the county and hull value of the plane.  

personally, if you can afford 1500/month, I would try to budget 1000/month.  That gives you 500/month or 6k/yr for surprises or unforeseen repairs.  For example, I recently changed my front tire and tube.  Cost was around 250, but then the mechanic calls to let me know my front rim cracked.  A new one is 600+ but luckily someone on this site sold me a used one for 200.  If I were cutting it too close, that simple repair could have grounded my plane for a long time.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, I live north of Nashville. I was looking at starting my ppl at Wings of Eagles at John C. Tune, but the airport is closed for 60 days while runway and FBO work is being done. I'd be interested to know where you are getting your instruction done if you'd care to share. Thanks, John

Highly recommend Nashville flight training at BNA. Tall to jeremy or Erik. both really good people and great flight instructors. They have two Skyhawks and an archer. they are also cheaper than wings of eagles but the planes aren't as new.

• Like 1

Does anyone know much about all American aircraft in TX? They seem to specialize in selling Mooney planes and look to have some good options, although prices might be a little steep

they probably have one of the best reputations on this board.  I don't know Jimmy Garrison personally, but a lot of people have had nothing but good things to say.

• Like 1

Browncbr1. Do you know if they're posted online anywhere or just over at FBO?

Occasionally I've seen some listed, but it's better to just go over there from time to time to see what's there before they are listed. Every time I'm over there, there are at least 3 or 4 decent looking short bodies...

• Like 1

I bought my R at AAA.

It is worth a trip to see their inventory. You may even see a short, mid and long body Mooney.

Be careful. It is a 'kid in the candy store' kind of experience.

Give them a call before you go. I may have a tendency to over-sell for AAA. It was that good of an experience...

I visited twice, once to see the plane in person and the second time to take her home.

You can see what inventory they may have...

http://allamericanaircraft.com/Default.htm

Call me a happy Mooney owner,

-a-

• Like 1