M20K 231/262 Speed Brake question

Hello Gents,

Just making sure I am covering all my research bases.  My 20K 231/262 Trophy is going in for an annual on the 29th and my mechanic and I sat down to go through AD's, gameplan, etc.  Could not find an STC or ref for my speed brakes and also not listed in POH in the equipment list.  I dropped a line to the Mooney folks with my a/c serial number to see if it is referenced as original equipment as well as contacted the Mod Squad for any 262 Trophy info from when it was done.  I am currently in Thailand and also don't have logbooks in front of me so this is more of just throwing a question out there to help me when i get back.  Thanks.

If I am not mistaken the speed brakes are part of the 262 conversion package.

I am mistaken:

#MMA100: Trophy 262 MOD/REMAN PACKAGE: (For 231's)

With our Trophy 262 FWF Reman Package, it's what is up front that counts!!

In cooperation with TCM Continental Motors Corp., Coy Jacob's Mooney Mart is now authorized to offer this Trophy Award Winning 262 (OEM 252 clone) Package at very attractive prices when compared to OEM 252/Encore's. The engine portion of this mod actually modifies a 231 into an OEM 252 fire wall forward! The Mooney Mart Trophy 262 Mod package uses an expansive list of Mooney parts, including: new 252 cowls upper and lower, specially designed (infinitely adjustable) 12V electric cowl flap motor, redesigned (ice resistant) air box, duct work, 4130 engine mount, new 252 interior center console w/252 style indicators, and much more. The parts required from Teledyne Continental are equally impressive. Because 231's were originally equipped with the troublesome and unreliable GB or LB series engines which were not intercooled, hot running and had only a fixed (manual) turbo wastegate, the much improved 252 was often heralded as what the 231 should have been to start with.

Therefore, we exchange the original troublesome GB or LB engine with a Continental factory 0 Time reman (252 type) TSI0-360-MB4 engine (complete with new 0 Time TCM Continental Gold Medallion Engine Logs). The engine is installed along with all the associated required Mooney parts such as new interior 252 center console w/electric cowl flap indicator etc.

This vastly improved (third generation) TCM MB engine features a built-in automatic wastegate and high efficiency Garret Intercooler which makes the engine run significantly cooler and trouble free while being as simple to operate much the same as a normally aspirated 201! When cruising at flight levels in the mid to high 20's this engine runs cool with the cowl flaps closed while running at max efficiency at peak TIT!!! It is not uncommon for fuel flows to be over 2gph lower with a 252 MB engine than the older, less efficient 231! Time has now proven: the 252 is what they intended the 231 to be from the beginning! Our sales data indicates than our reconditioned 231's gain in resale significantly and equal or exceed used 252 in value, appearance and performance! Thus, history has proven that in the long run, this mod probably does not cost, but actually should be considered an investment. Priced exchange w/flyable 231 engine core.

Note: This mod requires a digital fuel flow gauge to be installed, a new style MAC SB alt. air system, and SB cross over heat shield etc. if not currently installed. Hoskins, Arnav, Shadin, or Alcor fuel flow gauges are recommended. Base price also does not include painting cowl to match, vac. pump, or prop gov. o/h.

See if anything here helps...

https://preciseflight.com/general-aviation/shop/speedbrakes/products/speedbrakes-mooney/

Fortunately, PreciseFlight is still with us and the STCs are listed in this link with emails and phone numbers...

Which Mod Squad did you contact? The first one had Hurricane problems and the second said they are not related? To the first?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys.  Yes I also thought it was part of the 262 Trophy STC as well with the single piece belly, alternators, etc but they are not.  Heard back from Mooney and not listed as original equipment, FYI in case you did't already know speed brakes did not become original equipment on the K until 1984.  Talking to precise flight now and have the STC number just trying to track who did it.  262 mod was done by original MM ( :wacko: ) back in the early days mod.

There is probably a set of books including the STC specifically for your plane. Like logs, the STC probably went on somebody's book shelf.

Are you able to contact the previous owner to see if he forgot to package them up for the sale?

Best regards,

-a-

I actually did get a full binder of all the STC's, 262 mod, single belly, shading fuel, vacuum system, etc but did not see the brakes.  I did call previous owner who owns a few flight schools in Florida but he could not recall anything he did not give me and the brakes were there when he bought it ten + years ago.

• Like 1

If you haven't gotten a copy of the records from the FAA yet, you might try that.  Maybe they have a copy that was filed with them but misplaced from the set of records you have.

FWIW, the speed brakes on my 1983 M20J are an older model "100 Series" installed August 1998 and not described on the Precise Flight web page.

• 2 months later...

If you haven't gotten a copy of the records from the FAA yet, you might try that.  Maybe they have a copy that was filed with them but misplaced from the set of records you have.

FWIW, the speed brakes on my 1983 M20J are an older model "100 Series" installed August 1998 and not described on the Precise Flight web page.

Royski, I missed typed my original post.  My brakes are also 100 series like yours.  Correct, there is no info or downloadable ICA or users guide on the web site.  However, give Dan a call in the parts section at Precise Flight, also give him your serial number if you have it, he can send you the a copy of the original bill of sale and who it was to if you want it for your logbook entry.  Also, if you PM me I can send you a copy of the ICA guidelines Dan sent for our model speed brakes if you want to pull them and do the recommended PM.