Portable Ground Power for Avionics

Those power supplies (and others) will work, but just an FYI -- I know from experience (and from looking at my plane's paperwork after the fact) that you must be on Battery #1 using the external power plug for it to work.  I had to have my PFD replaced (under warranty, thank God), and the avionics shop that did the work had the external power unit plugged in and turned on, but they had Battery #2 selected and proceeded to run that battery down to less than nothing.  

• Like 1

Is there a 14 volt version for occasion use in learning the avionics while on the ground which is also suitable for a member of the CB club?  

Will a simple auto 14 Volt power supply work?  I have a suitable jumper cable ending in a Cessna style plug and also an adapter which is a Cessna style plug with terminals.  I found this as well,

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/portPowerCharger.php?clickkey=819890#

but is there any reason to use the aviation version as opposed to the auto version?  Is the power any more regulated or stable with the aviation version?

John Breda 

I made up a plug that I plug into the cigarette lighter and feed power in there. No need to turn the master on. I flip the alternator field, light, and pitot heat off when connecting. With these off the 10 amp power supply has always been enough to run everything else.

With a 28 volt battery and 14 vdc lighter plug this will not work.

Funny thing about the high tech power supplies and the modern Mooney + CB friendly solution...

1) The external power plug is a great idea... It takes some effort...

2) as stated above, it may only service Battery #1.

3) the high tech power supplies, like the Gil one I have, senses the 24V at the battery before it supplies any voltage of it's own...

4) the Mooney uses a solenoid system of it's own to prevent the errant lineman from reverse polarity issues...

5) the Mooney system won't show any voltage, so the high tech power supply want show any either...

6) proposed CB solution...connect the external plug to the mooney. Connect an aged Gil battery to the plug. Connect the high tech power supply to the external Gil battery...

There seem to be several old, near dead, Gil batteries available at most airports. I donate one every year or two the cause. This year is no different...

This year's Gil battery challenge...the post unscrewed off the battery? This was reported by the mechanic after the annual. I was too flustered to follow up.

Can anyone sense my appreciation for Gil batteries?

Best regards,

-a-

Steven,

One of these days...

Ideally replacing both batteries at the same time makes the most sense...

Instead, I have replaced one at a time. This leaves me with one that is always (measurably) weaker than the other.

Instead of going Concorde, I bought the high tech battery charger to add to my list of dissapointments from Gil.

The charger doesn't work when plugged into the auxiliary. It requires opening the panel. (Time, effort, image). It doesn't magically revive an age weakened Gil battery either.

Call me the most dissapointed continuous Gil user...

Best regards,

-a-

Is there any guidance to swapping out one battery at a time on the the two battery Mooney systems?

Acid type vs. gel cell type?

Gil v Concorde?

At least in the O, the two batteries are connected and will be charging while one battery is selected for use.

Clearly my batteries are more dissimilar as they age, so the system has some protection from killing off the newer battery,,,

Best regards,

-a-