Trip planning - Little Rock to Clovis NM today 5/22

IndyTim

I'm taking the family out to Clovis NM so my son and his fiance can look for a place near Cannon AFB. We will need to stop for fuel and a potty break due to the headwinds. We'll file IFR.

Weather between is so-so. Looks like we might be able to pick our way through. Tops are above our practical ceiling of FL220.

I usually prefer to swing to the backend/southwest side of systems out here, but all the airportts to the south of this system are predicting LIFR into the evening. Not comfortable with that, with a full plane and nearing sunset.

Thinking about picking my way through, north of the system, with a refueling stop west/northwest of Tulsa. I have onboard ADSB WX and the WX-10. Together they are good for avoiding convective activity.

As someone who used to live in Clovis,NM let me start by saying I am a Sorry. I currently live in Amarillo and the weather for the entire area is nasty low level clouds with a random thunderhead coming through every now and then. On the flip side the Clovis airport is well taken care of and and good lighting. The FBO building is not that great, but then again neither is the area. Good luck on the trip.

• Like 1

Tx and OK seem the worst. Depending on distance and fuel needs maybe you can snug up near the weather for a fuel stop then fly past most of the weather. It seems alright in NM, MVFR later on in west TX. A little windy at times, check runway alignments.

Let us know how it goes. The wife and I are planning on launching tomorrow (Saturday morning) out of Austin for Alpine/Marfa for the long weekend. I expect it to be IFR and rain everywhere.  We plan to land and tie down in Alpine for the weekend.  We also have ADSB weather. It's only a 2.5 hour flight and we'll have full tanks or 5 hours fuel.

• Like 1