Someone help what starter?

Cwalsh7997

I have a Skytec starter.  My original went out and I shipped it to them and they overnighted it back.  I did all of the removal which was a total pain in the butt.  I had my mechanic do the install.  He charged me 2.8 hours labor to install and put the cowling back on.  

149NL Skytec starter. This is the high torque starter. I have the 149LS on my m20e. It works great too. If I was buying a new one it would be the 149nl.

Assuming you have a flywheel has the correct amount of teeth. Early-early "Cs" did have different flywheels...

-Matt

• Like 1

Hey guys my plane is once again down at FXE with a bad starter so I want to know what starter it uses and if I should ask premier for anything specific and what's the cost and how long should I expect it to take?

When you say "bad starter", what is wrong with it? If it is the Bendix not moving forward, I would try lubricating it before replacing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

+4 on SkyTec

My buddy got the wrong one for his Commander and when he talked to them at Sun-n-Fun, they told him to send it to them (not the original vendor) and they would swap him out at no charge. Customer service counts.

John

My Skytec 149NL stopped working. I removed it and trouble shot it. It was out of warrantee so I called them up and told them what I found and asked what I needed to do to get it fixed. They sent me a new one right away and charged me for it. They said to return mine in the box the new one came in. I did that and two days later they called and said it was a manufacturing defect and refunded the whole cost of the new starter.

How can you not love that...

• Like 2

My Skytec 149NL stopped working. I removed it and trouble shot it. It was out of warrantee so I called them up and told them what I found and asked what I needed to do to get it fixed. They sent me a new one right away and charged me for it. They said to return mine in the box the new one came in. I did that and two days later they called and said it was a manufacturing defect and refunded the whole cost of the new starter.

How can you not love that...

Here's my SkyTec story-

When I bought my Mooney, it already had a SkyTec in it, but it was the 149-LS light weigh starter. It worked just fine, then one day... dead. So I boxed it up and set it back to Sky-Tec for the $200 rebuild. Then I got the bad news. It was so messed up they wouldn't rebuild it and they were going to scrap it. They offered me a rebuilt one, or an alternate, a rebuilt 149-NL. My choice.

The light weight is just that. Light weight. It also spins faster and so can start the plane faster. The downside is, it's not as robust and as I would find out, it isn't as well sealed against oil intrusion.

So it turns out my original starter was completely saturated inside by engine oil. My number 2 cylinder has a base gasket leak and oil seeps out of there consistently. I found out that oil saturation like that absolutely ruins motors.

They told me that the NL was better sealed against oil and is a lot tougher, so I decided to go for the 149-NL. They didn't actually have any rebuilt 149-NLs in stock, so they sent me a brand new on for the $200 rebuild price. All this inside of a work week from me dropping off a dead starter at the UPS store to getting a new one back.

I'm really impressed with their service.