Mooney crossing atlantic

Htwjr

• 3 years later...
On 5/16/2015 at 2:53 AM, Htwjr said:

I just noticed on flightaware there is a Mooney N921KT that is making a 9hr 2150 mile trip across the ocean to Northern Ireland. I am impressed. I am doing good to make a 4hr trip across land.

I just had to Super-Necro-Bump this ancient thread as I just happened to notice that the same N921KT just did another intercontinental trip. Its in the air as I type this: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N921KT

On 5/17/2015 at 10:10 AM, Piloto said:

Depending on your routing and altitude HF radio may be required. I found the Icom 706 to be an excellent radio for these flights. Gander and Santa Maria Oceanic Radio has good coverage over the North Atlantic. New York Radio all the way to South America. HF Volmet broadcasts are handy for getting weather info over the ocean.

José 

post-6932-0-24557300-1431878125_thumb.jp

post-6932-0-18606500-1431878152_thumb.jp

What did you use for an antenna?

10 hours ago, Runway37 said:

What did you use for an antenna?

Piloto is not active on this forum. Here is a link to another thread which they discus Jose "Piloto" antenna solution:

16 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I just had to Super-Necro-Bump this ancient thread as I just happened to notice that the same N921KT just did another intercontinental trip. Its in the air as I type this: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N921KT

almost 40 hours flying a mooney in 5 days of flying that took place in 1 weeks time (only 2 "rest" days or whatever they were doing)...impressive for sure.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2015 at 5:21 PM, rbridges said:

The bottle will go from full to empty back to full. Lol

Yup, I can vouch for this.....did over a 12 hour leg in Africa and landed with a full bottle in Djibouti.  I dumped it on the ramp and improved the place....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/17/2015 at 10:41 AM, IndyTim said:

Longest overwater leg is 674nm in the Goose Bay-Narsarsauq-Keflavik-Wick routing. Very doable even in an stock M20K with 72 gal usable, especially going east. Although I would certainly want the extra 30 gal from the Monroys before attempting, just because. Coming back west would still be doable with reserves, but might require flexibility waiting for headwinds to drop. And for weather to clear.

post-10280-0-66061200-1431873591_thumb.j

You can use Kulusuk BGKK to shorten the leg. BTW in my eyes the most beautiful airport in Greenland. It's a gravel strip but very even and they have AVGAS.

Here some pictures from Kulusuk airport and the Greenland coastline.

IMG_9714.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

IMG_9689 2.JPG

IMG_9688 2.JPG

IMG_9687 2.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9684.JPG

• Like 5

8 hours ago, flumag said:

IMG_9703.JPG

I get a little concerned when I start to get that much rime buildup on my leading edge (like we did last week over the Appalachians).  What’s your plan over a few hundred miles of coldish water?  Maybe I’m just getting more chicken as I age.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I get a little concerned when I start to get that much rime buildup on my leading edge (like we did last week over the Appalachians).  What’s your plan over a few hundred miles of coldish water?  Maybe I’m just getting more chicken as I age.

it's good to have respect. This rime was build up over hours in VMC and was not growing. I would be nervous as well in IMC. I also had the chance to descend to have the outside temperature above the freezing point (open water between Iceland and Greenland) to clear of the ice. If you have icing conditions over Greenland and you can't climb above or you stay over water and fly the coastline on the southend of Greenland. This is a bit a detour but you stay out of potential ice. Minimum enroute altitude over the ice cape is FL150. So flying FL200 or higher is normally providing VMC on top. If you fly in the summer and like to stay above freezing temperatures you can also fly between Iceland, Greenland and to Newfoundland in 5000ft. Only between Newfoundland and Greenland (e.g. CYYR and BGBW) you need to fly FL250 if you dont have an HF radio. If you can't fly FL240 your way is over Iqaluit (Frobisher Bay) and Nuuk or Søndre Strømfjord.

IMG_7499.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, flumag said:

..... Kulusuk. Refueling hurts a bit with more than $16 per GAL.

That price for 100LL makes JetA there at Kulusuk look downright reasonable at US$5.59 per US gallon.   

Flumag’s notes make me think a nice trip to Dublin would be fun. Perhaps CYVP BGKK BIKF EIME?     

I know its an old site but he was through here just a few years ago ( 3 or 4) after crossing the mid-Atlantic  on a 15 hr flight. from Africa to Brazil. He and his wife might be getting a little to old now to continue but I have no info on that, He did the long overwater flights alone while his wife flew commercial ( had to use the cabin space for a ferry tank he owned and shipped around the world to meet him where he needed it).  They were members of The EarthRounders