Emergency Gear Problem

Cwalsh7997

Make sure the crank handle is folded up. Then there is a sliding lever that should be pushed up. Make sure it is fully pushed up.

You do not want to move the gear with the crank engaged. If it breaks, your gear is out of commission. Read: gear up landing. New prop, belly, flap hinges, step; engine tear down required. Probably totaled by the insurance company.

Please fix the emergency gear engagement ASAP.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

Part of a good transition training is to gain some knowledge of all the systems that are on your plane.

How they work, what their limitations are.

Many people take the opportunity to use the the back-up gear system while it is on jacks.

Being surprised by how the system works is a little discomforting.

Keep reading, learning and following up.

Remember, no selfies including the fifth passenger,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Zombie thread resurrection

Trying to think of something to be looked at at next service so I googled this.  I had this happen once a long time ago and the mechanic put her up on jacks, reset the engagement arm mechanism and everything was fine.  Is there something that needs to be adjusted ?  Is there a SB on this ?  If not then it happens often enough and gets reported here enough that there should be some kind of guidance on it either from Mooney or Mooneyspace.

It is an annual inspection item. I have the old style emergency system with the crank in my '77 J. I had to use it once for real, and fortunately it worked. Coincidentally while I was going in to Willmar for tank work, so I picked a good place for a failure! Bruce Jaeger's eyes got big when I told him, and he shared knowledge and pics of the little coupler that can fail and leave the gear up. (In my case the motor failed)

Fast forward many years and my coupler failed when I checked the system at annual! The rigging had slipped and fouled the splines at some point. Fortunately LASAR is making this part, so I was able to get it fixed quickly.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks @KSMooniac

What I am getting at is what can we do to prevent inadvertent engagement of the actuator arm which would be undiscovered until the electric gear is engaged and inducing a lot of excitement at the least, if not damaged parts at the worst.  I took a look at the kick panel at that time and adjusted it back just a little bit so that I could see a good space between that plastic kick panel and the emergency gear engagement lever when in the resting detent position.  When I have done the gear swing at annual and reset the mechanism you can feel it go into a detent position and stays there, but its like it is spring loaded to go into slide down into the engagement position.  Does that detent get worn or is there an adjustment ? 

Just want to do everything I can to prevent this in the future.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I put a big lockwire twist tie on it. 

I thought about positioning the crank so that it covers the knob on the end of the engagement handle, but now that's a great idea !

Edited by Bartman

It's a check list item on every pre-flight for me.

The usual method for it getting loose without the pilot knowing about it has something to do with passenger feet...

Another checklist item for passenger feet.... :)

Hadn't thought about tying in place...yet.

Best regards,

-a-

Could be both...

The C went electric late in its run, overlapping with the F.

I believe you would need to check the individual plane's equipment list.

I also believe I can remember some very highly updated Fs with fancy panels that maintained the mechanical flaps and landing gear.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Won't the electric Fs, like my electric C, have the hand crank on the sidewall rather than the passenger-kickable pull cord on the floor? Helps keep the checklist simple, and removes one prelanding worry about passengers.

Won't the electric Fs, like my electric C, have the hand crank on the sidewall rather than the passenger-kickable pull cord on the floor? Helps keep the checklist simple, and removes one prelanding worry about passengers.

Yes, that is correct up through the '77 J and C models. Somewhere around the '78 switch over for the J they went to the pull cord on the floor. It is certainly faster to deploy, but I like have a clear floor.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Yes, that is correct up through the '77 J and C models. Somewhere around the '78 switch over for the J they went to the pull cord on the floor. It is certainly faster to deploy, but I like have a clear floor.

Starting the lawn mower is quicker than rolling down the window? What is the pull length?

It's a pre flight step for me after I get the seat adjusted I verify the engagement lever is stowed. I have bumped it more than once with my left knee getting settled in. 1975F.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk