JPI 900 Installed

Good Day Everyone,

I just had the JPI 900 primary system installed to replace my non-primary JPI 700 system. In case anyone is interested in what the JPI 900 looks like installed in a 65C, please see the before an after pics attached below. Certainly no lack of panel space on the right side now!

If you are considering doing this and have any questions, send me a PM and I will answer whatever I can.

Cheers

Edward

post-11100-0-91982000-1431351122_thumb.j

post-11100-0-41228600-1431351137_thumb.j

• Like 2

Been seriously looking at the 900 for my '62 C.  I was thinking of putting it back where the cluster gauge was, would it go there?  I'm assuming that you put yours up high for visibility, I have navigation heads there.

James

Been seriously looking at the 900 for my '62 C.  I was thinking of putting it back where the cluster gauge was, would it go there?  I'm assuming that you put yours up high for visibility, I have navigation heads there.

James

This is what a 900 looks in place of the cluster gauges on a 1967 F.

post-7559-0-44886700-1431361606_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Good Day rbridges,

You can't go wrong really. The JPI 900 is a little spendy but it is really nice to have absolutely all the information displayed (in colour) in one spot at all times. I was totaly happy with the JPI 700 but am even happier with the 900. No regrets from my perspective even though I am still getting used it after only a few flights with it.

Cheers

That looks really good. I've been thinking about installing an engine monitor as well, but not likely one to be a primary; probably something more like an Insight Avionics G3 or something similar.

Insight engine monitors ARE primary.  I love mine.

Question regarding the upgrade to the JPI930 from the JPI700 system...

Do you just buy the Display version.

All the CHT and EGT sensors transfer?

Does the same theory apply to fuel levels, FF, rpm, tach and OAT as well?

Are there any sensors that need to be purchased?

The finance person might not notice the cost of the display...

Thinking out loud,

-a-

Good Day Carusoam

Initially I just wante d to buy the display and the extra sensors, but when I contacted JPI they said that they are normally sold as a complete set because this is a TSO Primary engine instrument replacement. Therefor I had to buy the complete set. The good news is that many of the probes and sensors (EGT, CHT, FF transducer etc) were the same part number as the ones I already had installed so I did not have to replace those. Some of the sensors were new and not part of the JPI 700 setup so I had to have those installed (RPM sensor, MP, FP, OAT). The factory CHT and Oil temp were removed and so was my JPI 700 oil temp sensor. The part number for the 700 oil temp was different than the 900 oil temp probe so it was swapped out. Although I am not the legal authority on this, I believe the bottom line is that as long as the JPI sensors you already have installed are the same part numbers as required by the JPI 900 primary system I think they can be reused.

With respect to the the fuel gauges, you can buy new fuel senders if you want, but whether you put in new senders or not in your tanks they will have to calibrated using the sender resistance as measures by the JPI 900. Hence there is really no need to change out your senders as long as they are still working. After calibration of the old senders to the JPI 900 my fuel gauges are reading within 1 gallon of what I measure when I dip my tanks (my home made calibrated dip stick may be in error as well with such a small difference). Over time I will collect more data (using the fuel flow computer, dipping the tanks and the fuel gauge read outs) and adjust the calibration slightly should I feel the need.

Hope that is helpful and at least understandable

Cheers

Edward

• Like 3

I have purchased a new JPI 900 but not installed it yet. I'm still doing a bit of research on the install. For those that have installed a JPI 900, I have a couple questions:

1.  What did you do regarding oil/fuel/manifold pressure transducer mounting? My J-model has the factory transducers clamped to the engine mount. The JPI install manual mentions mounting the transducers to the firewall. I prefer the firewall solution since I would think it would have lower vibration and hopefully longer transducer life.

2.  What did you do regarding the transducer hoses? Were new hoses required? Did you order them or fabricate them?

I'm trying to get all the parts for the install ahead of time so down-time is minimized. I don't want it half-way installed and then need to be waiting for a hose. I may work with a local mechanic or have my MSC install it, I haven't decided on that yet.

Thanks, Larry

• Like 1

All the transducer fittings are -4 size. On my F model all the engine side fittings were -3 and -2. The transducers were mounted on the firewall. You will also need the proper crimper to crimp the transducer wires.

I have purchased a new JPI 900 but not installed it yet. I'm still doing a bit of research on the install. For those that have installed a JPI 900, I have a couple questions:

1.  What did you do regarding oil/fuel/manifold pressure transducer mounting? My J-model has the factory transducers clamped to the engine mount. The JPI install manual mentions mounting the transducers to the firewall. I prefer the firewall solution since I would think it would have lower vibration and hopefully longer transducer life.

2.  What did you do regarding the transducer hoses? Were new hoses required? Did you order them or fabricate them?

I'm trying to get all the parts for the install ahead of time so down-time is minimized. I don't want it half-way installed and then need to be waiting for a hose. I may work with a local mechanic or have my MSC install it, I haven't decided on that yet.

Thanks, Larry

Here is picture of firewall install plus the map on the baffle....and we did all new hoses..order to fit...

• 2 weeks later...
This is what mine looked like after installation. The manifold pressure would bounce around a bit and required an orifice to be installed in-line with the sensor. I couldn't be happier with the instrument and the fuel flow appears to be spot on, with any variances being attributable to whether it was fueled all the way to the top, or just under it. 

The orifice/device to minimize bouncing pressure data is called a snubber.

I think Bob had discovered the proper one while installing the JPI 900.

It seems JPI may be expecting, but unable, to smooth the data mathematically.

Best regards,

-a-

Well, I also "enjoy" the same problems with my EDM-900... - manifold pressure jumping around and with it in sync the HP display.
Waiting desperately for a "snubber" to arrive but JPI does not seem to be too interested to help their customers!
They asked all the right questions before they sent the device and still missed the vital parts?! I also wished to have the manual translated to good English or American language and without all the annoying mistakes and the software would need an overhaul, too.
My old fuel sensors work quite well with the EDM-900 once they were calibrated accurately, at least way more precise than with the old sixpack gauges.

Nope, I am NOT (yet) happy with my EDM-900 even though I love the data analysis options and the (again) very precise fuel flow monitoring. Will keep you updated...

See photo of my new panel below:

post-12009-0-11136300-1432665375_thumb.j

Well, I also "enjoy" the same problems with my EDM-900... - manifold pressure jumping around and with it in sync the HP display.

Waiting desperately for a "snubber" to arrive but JPI does not seem to be too interested to help their customers!

They asked all the right questions before they sent the device and still missed the vital parts?! I also wished to have the manual translated to good English or American language and without all the annoying mistakes and the software would need an overhaul, too.

My old fuel sensors work quite well with the EDM-900 once they were calibrated accurately, at least way more precise than with the old sixpack gauges.

Nope, I am NOT (yet) happy with my EDM-900 even though I love the data analysis options and the (again) very precise fuel flow monitoring. Will keep you updated...

See photo of my new panel below:

attachicon.gifDSC01706_FullHD.jpg

I'm getting a JPI 900 put in my M20C in August.  I'm starting to wonder if I should get this snubber, or snuffer, or whatever it's called installed preemptively?   Based on the prior thread below, it's not hard to install backwards by mistake:

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/12583-jpi-900-manifold-pressure-problem/

I am considering replacing my stock six pack with a JPI 900 and wonder if, for planning purposes, anyone would care to disclose a ballpark figure for the all in installation or perhaps the labor hours required.  PM at rosser.james@gmail.com or 435 559-4566.  1968 C.

Thanks,

jhr

I am considering replacing my stock six pack with a JPI 900 and wonder if, for planning purposes, anyone would care to disclose a ballpark figure for the all in installation or perhaps the labor hours required. PM at rosser.james@gmail.com or 435 559-4566. 1968 C.

Thanks,

jhr

40 hours give or take 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk