Gascolator Gasket 2" x 1/16"

For those who are looking for the gascolator gaskets for the older models 2"O.D, x 1/16" thick.  You can special order them from Brown Aircraft Supply call them on the phone and tell them you want he GL-30-HD and specify the gasket be made 1/16" thick it is a perfect match for around $8.

http://www.brownaircraft.com/product_p/gl-30-hd.htm

• Like 1

Thanks! This is helpful. It's one of the scariest things I've seen completely botched on at least 3 diffrent aircraft. I've had issues ordering the gaskets in the past. One calls the OEM with the correct p/n of the gasket or Oring, OEM says "they no longer support, that style has been superseded by $$$$$ unit... You might try aircraft spruce"... more than 1 OEM has said this too.

So you try Aircraft spruce and get lucky or not. Then you find out the part you were trying to replace was incorrectly installed in the first place.

Pretty silly stuff considering fuel is the single most important thing with regards to staying aloft...

Cheers,

-Matt

In 14 years of Mooney ownership, I've replaced it once.

The only fluid pressure on the gascolator is from gravity, and the gasket is made from good material. If it doesn't leak with the proper torque on the bolt, it's okay.

• Like 1

Luckily for all of us they are not flimsy cork gaskets like some airplanes use.

I guess since I am my own A&P/IA, I'll keep myself safe, and I replace every gasket, o-ring, and filter required on schedule.

You found a mechanic you like and trust, and I won't fault that.

• Like 1

Luckily for all of us they are not flimsy cork gaskets like some airplanes use.

I guess since I am my own A&P/IA, I'll keep myself safe, and I replace every gasket, o-ring, and filter required on schedule.

You found a mechanic you like and trust, and I won't fault that.

Somewhat where I'm at.  My IA says replace it we replace it.  I will challenge the decision at times and ask for an explanation as to why and usually give in.

I have never seen the need to replace the garter filter on the vacuum system and about a dozen other miscellaneous gaskets, filters, and o-rings every year either, but they are cheap in the greater scheme of things and my A&P/IA keeps me safe, so so be it.

you don't want that garter filter to disintegrate and bust that expensive King HSI for sure 

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2015 at 0:24 PM, Andy95W said:

Ouch!  I just ordered a couple of vacuum filters.  These have always been pricey (in my opinion), but they've gone up another 5 bucks!  What in the world could be inside these to cost so much?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rapcofilter.php?clickkey=3946

RAPCO-FILTER.jpg

3 hours ago, Z00mie said:

I'm curious 1964 M20E (having never disassembled the strainer), why 1/16" gasket thickness as opposed to the 1/8 as offered by Brown?

1/16" is what is in there I have tried the 1/8" and it does not work.  One would think it would but it does not.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sure have, but I cant figure out how to change my name :)

Still on the topic of the A-1540. Can anyone tell me where the second MS29513-031 (the big o-ring) goes? According to the parts catalogue it is "between gascolator end plug (btm) and gascsolator housing". Mine only has the lock-o-seal washer on the end cap and there doesn't appear to be anywhere for the -031 to go. I'm wondering if I am missing something off of the gascolator housing? My A&P doesn't think so and the gascolator doesn't have any leaks, but it seems pretty strange.

Screenshot_20211016-071316_Drive.thumb.jpg.dfee758e5c2f2a8485988d4bae80530e.jpg

On 10/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, 65C_flier said:

Still on the topic of the A-1540. Can anyone tell me where the second MS29513-031 (the big o-ring) goes? According to the parts catalogue it is "between gascolator end plug (btm) and gascsolator housing". Mine only has the lock-o-seal washer on the end cap and there doesn't appear to be anywhere for the -031 to go. I'm wondering if I am missing something off of the gascolator housing? My A&P doesn't think so and the gascolator doesn't have any leaks, but it seems pretty strange.

Screenshot_20211016-071316_Drive.thumb.jpg.dfee758e5c2f2a8485988d4bae80530e.jpg

One O ring goes at the top, the second goes on the bottom aluminum plate and the stat o seal goes under the large nut.  You may have to tap the bottom plate out of the cylindrical aluminum tube.  Once disassembled it will make sense.

Lubricate the O rings with some engine oil to aid in re-assembly.  Don’t over torque the large nut.

Clarence

On 10/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, 65C_flier said:

Your screen name can be edited…

I don’t recommend changing it….  

Over time people may actually remember who you are…. 

Example: DanM20C now flys a super nice M20K…. If he changes his handle, I won’t be able to find him….

If you want to change something important… add a pic to your avatar….   

people will recognize your pic pretty easy…

Or you could just use your actual name….  :)

This is all kind of difficult to manage using a small screen…

Using an iPad for setting updates makes it a breeze!

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 8:39 AM, M20Doc said:

One O ring goes at the top, the second goes on the bottom aluminum plate and the stat o seal goes under the large nut.  You may have to tap the bottom plate out of the cylindrical aluminum tube.  Once disassembled it will make sense.

Lubricate the O rings with some engine oil to aid in re-assembly.  Don’t over torque the large nut.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence. Super helpful as always. We didn't tap it out this time, but we will next time it is inspected.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:34 AM, mike20papa said:

Looking at that photo ..I would be asking myself what the heck is going on to cause that dimensioning of tubing wall on the fuel line.  

@mike20papa  not sure what you are seeing here? The fuel lines going into gascolator looked OK to us.