Ipad mounting requirements and the FAA???

A good friend of mine is going for his IFR checkride tomorrow here in Texas.  The FAA examiner was talking with him on preparation and Pete asked him if he could use his iPad during the flight.  He said yes, but stated that it could only be held or secured using something like a Sporty's kneeboard holder.  He said that the FAA would not allow it to be affixed to the plane in any form such as a Ram-Mount.  He mentioned that this was big on their "hit list" and if you are approached by an official looking individual on the ramp, that you should remove any such mounting device or face a fine if caught.  

I've looked briefly on the web and haven't found such a ruling.  Anyone here heard anything regarding this?

Thanks,

Don

Don,

I'm not sure and can't quote the regs, but something like this was mentioned in the past. Mounting something permanent such as a Ram mount screwed to a dash panel or in our case installed on the Mooney windshield center bar are all "No-No's. If it requires tools to mount then technically it's a no go.

Items such a suction cups etc would be legal (temporary and removable). A scenario I can think of is the portable GPS units. They most all come with suction type mounts. I can't see how a suction mount would be illegal. I can't imagine holding my 696 in my lap.  I know you are asking about IPads, but it seems to apply to many scenarios.

I think some of the reasoning with permanent mounted Ram mounts is technically you start talking about W/B etc....because now it's a permanent part of the plane.

I might be off base, but that's my take on it.

-Tom

Please explain to me how this examiner knows that your ram mount isn't permanently mounted to your airplane and wasn't part of a panel upgrade which was documented on a 337 with an upgraded weight and balance? 

I'm just venting.  There is never a cut and dry answer in aviation. 

Put the iPad away and fly the check ride without it. 

Don, this is actually part of your checkride exam. He's trying to determine if you are susceptible to bullsh*t. Any time anyone tells you something is a viloation of the regs, a thinking pilot insists that the claimant say which regs. They are all numbered for easy use.

Don't believe it unless you read it in the FAR yourself.

Please tell your friend Pete to concentrate on the checkride and not get distracted with or about a stupid iPad! Leave it home!

IPad is not needed on the checkride! Equally stupid, if not more, is getting in an argument about it with the FAA examiner!

What message does that send to the examiner about the candidate?

Please tell your friend Pete to concentrate on the checkride and not get distracted with or about a stupid iPad! Leave it home!

IPad is not needed on the checkride! Equally stupid, if not more, is getting in an argument about it with the FAA examiner!

What message does that send to the examiner about the candidate?

Some of the worst advice I can imagine is telling someone to take a checkride without using what he is used to using. He'll be starting out a checkride already uncomfortable and out of his usual element.

Find a different examiner. That's the way to fix this problem.

• Like 1

Some of the worst advice I can imagine is telling someone to take a checkride without using what he is used to using. He'll be starting out a checkride already uncomfortable and out of his usual element.

Find a different examiner. That's the way to fix this problem.

I don't think so.

Is it better advice to argue with the FAA examiner?! He'll really be comfortable and in his usual element then!

And to go find another examiner is really really poor advice! You don't think examiners talk to each other?

Put the iPad on your knee or leave it home!

No, many examiners don't talk to each other, and they all understand that people have their personal preferences about who they take rides with. When I was a CFI I would use different examiners at times for my students, and the guys I rarely used didn't get offended that they weren't my favorites. And most of them hardly knew each other, let alone talked all the time.

• Like 1

See the following Advisory Circular, all 39 pages.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%20120-76B.pdf

Why? In the first paragraph it says

It is intended for all operators conducting flight operations under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 121, 125, 135, or 91 subpart F (part 91F) and part 91 subpart K (part 91K)

Pretty much leaves us out. The one that applies to us is AC 91-78, Use of Class 1 or Class 2 Electronic Flight Bag (EFB).

• Like 1

I'm posting this comment on both versions of this topic. Is there a way to combine them into one?

Interesting you mention this topic. Just a few days ago, a pilot at my home field had to ride with an FAA examiner who asked about the Stratus box mounted in the floor of the plane. This FAA rep. said there needed to be an airframe logbook entry since it was hard wired and had a cover holding it. No mention that it could not be used, was illegal or any other issue.

Guess it just depends on where you fly as to what rules they use.

I need an emoticon scratching his head to add to this post because I'm confused by the arbitrary nature of the agency.