Radio noise

Cruiser

My COMs, both on the GNS430W and the King KX165A have intermittent static noise. I noticed that the background had a steady tick, tick, tick sound when RX. I noticed it first with a weak signal call to ATC but then it was also noticeable on ATC calls as well.

The strange thing is it is not always present. Sometimes the RX is crisp and clear with no static/noise (tick, tick, tick) in the background. Today's flight it was present the entire time.

Any ideas?

My COMs, both on the GNS430W and the King KX165A have intermittent static noise. I noticed that the background had a steady tick, tick, tick sound when RX. I noticed it first with a weak signal call to ATC but then it was also noticeable on ATC calls as well.

The strange thing is it is not always present. Sometimes the RX is crisp and clear with no static/noise (tick, tick, tick) in the background. Today's flight it was present the entire time.

Any ideas?

Wow Tom! I have been dealing with the same thing as well. It went away for a while, but came back with a vengeance yesterday on a trip to Virginia.

Your description matches mine almost exactly. I think it might be something with a ground or perhaps the radio master relay. My plane goes in for the annual next week and it is on my squak list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any ideas?

By any chance does the rate of the "tick" change with the engine RPM? If so, probably a bad ignition lead or internal mag capacitor. Or does it match the constant rate of your strobe flashing? Bad strobe ground. Check by turning off the strobes.

I had the same thing I fought for months. It started out as an occasional tick. It turned into as best described as bacon frying. For me it was only present when the engine was at cruise rpm. Mine went away when the intercom was put in ISO mode or when the alternator was turned off. Turned out to be a bad alternator.

I had the same thing I fought for months. It started out as an occasional tick. It turned into as best described as bacon frying. For me it was only present when the engine was at cruise rpm. Mine went away when the intercom was put in ISO mode or when the alternator was turned off. Turned out to be a bad alternator.

Hmmm. I haven't tried the ISO feature yet, but a buddy of mine did mention the alternator as a possibility. And mine did have the sizzling bacon in the background as well.

Hmmm. I haven't tried the ISO feature yet, but a buddy of mine did mention the alternator as a possibility. And mine did have the sizzling bacon in the background as well.

Sizzling bacon, isn't that how you call your girls... Couldn't resist

• Like 1

I had an issue with constant noise, and when it happenned on the ground, I first ran the engine faster which didnt change it, then  I just started turning everything electrical off one by one. It turned out to be my ADF receiver that was making the racquet even though it wasnt selected on the speaker/headset channel. Volume off ADF fixed that one for me.

See you in Kerrville!

I tend to pick up noise when I get close to my local tower.  When transmitting it's clear.  At higher altitude I get no noise.  It seems like the noise is coming from ground transmitting interference(possible radio stations, cell towers, etc.)  Just a guess. 

By any chance does the rate of the "tick" change with the engine RPM? If so, probably a bad ignition lead or internal mag capacitor. Or does it match the constant rate of your strobe flashing? Bad strobe ground. Check by turning off the strobes.

I have this problem (it's clearly associated with strobes).  Where are the strobe grounds located?  I would love to solve this issue

• 2 weeks later...

Hijack alert. I now have white noise on the intercom only. If I choose isolation mode there is no noise. The noise just started after the new gyro install. Pulling a headset out doesn't help. The noise went away for a bit then came back the other day.

Hijack alert. I now have white noise on the intercom only. If I choose isolation mode there is no noise. The noise just started after the new gyro install. Pulling a headset out doesn't help. The noise went away for a bit then came back the other day.

Same thing with my plane. Turned out to be the alternator. Turn off your alternator and see what happens.

It could be the generator. I don't have an alternator. I noticed that it stopped while taxiing once. That could be due to the low rpm not making any power. Why would it affect the intercom only?

Ryan- high amperage flowing through the wiring going to the main electrical bus bars- just behind the instrument panel from the big circuit breakers marked Generator. Bet your copilot intercom jacks are in close proximity, and may even be secured to that wiring. That would be why the noise goes away when the generator isn't on line or you change to isolate.

First try re-routing the wiring, then making sure shielded wiring was used in your intercom wiring- and that the shielding is actually grounded.

• Like 1

Hey Tom, I have seen the factory CD player make noise and if I can remember correctly... you have that in your panel. Try turning that on and off also to see if it makes any difference.  The music inputs are also one of the main pickups for static noise, especially with PS brand of IC the barrel of the music jack must be isolated from ground.