[Video] Flight to Napa

wishboneash

Flew to Napa (KAPC) on Saturday - weather was MVFR at KLVK with fluffy clouds enroute (IFR) which made for a very nice flight in and out of clouds.  I was vectored about 1200ft above Mt Diablo which made it interesting as it was a bit bumpy! Winds out of the west at 10-15knots, ILS 36L at APC, circle to land rwy 24.

Here's a video of the flight on Youtube. I didn't have the heart to edit it too much, so it is a bit long. Taken with a wing tip mounted GoPro Silver 4, 1080/30fps, medium.

The interesting part was at departure when LVK tower cleared me to the runway for takeoff and immediately cancelled my line up and wait clearance.  About 15s later, an experimental aircraft landed on the same runway (25R)! Had I been on the runway, I might have been run over/clobbered. So, I went online to review the ATC conversations. It turned out that aircraft was cleared to land 25L and somehow ended up on my runway (25R). The next interesting thing is that the exchange between the controller and I when she cancelled my first clearance and my reply to that is missing on the tape! Going further down the tape, the tower asked that other aircraft to contact the tower on ground frequency. One can imagine the conversation... The other pilot did ack the 25L landing clearance early in the exchange with the controller, but still landed on 25R. Also, he seemed very confused and comms were spotty at best.  I am not going to reveal any N-numbers here, however, I think I might file a NASA report..

• Like 2

I'll be heading your direction this Thursday, when I make my annual flight from Denver to Concord. Weather is forecast to be perfect, just like last year. Can't wait!

More memories. I used to fly out of Concord at the time. One of the eeriest sites I've ever seen is the old navy mothball fleet, which is just a few miles north of the airport.

More memories. I used to fly out of Concord at the time. One of the eeriest sites I've ever seen is the old navy mothball fleet, which is just a few miles north of the airport.

Yeah, I have a neat aerial photo of that somewhere. It is eerie.

My wife and I lived in Walnut Creek from 2003-2006. I was based at KAPC at the time. Prior to that I lived in Sausalito from 1997-2003. I still own that home as a rental. We're heading out there to do some renovations to the house in between tenants. Most of my wife's family lives in the Concord-Clayton area, so we get out there 2-3 times a year.

Ash,

How bumpy was it on final?

There is some funny effect happening probably caused by the wing flex...?

More noticeable on the bottom of the screen compared to the center.

Weather sure is nice out by you.

Best regards,

-a-

The landing at APC was a non-event, not bumpy at all. 10-15kt headwind, rwy 24. The flexing is on the wing which is due to some resonance with the engine RPM setting. The tip of the wing has a large moment which exaggerates the vibrations. A better mount location might eliminate that.

• Like 1

Finally got around to watching the video during my lunch hour....

Sure brought back memories! I'll bet I've shot that approach over 100 times!

I miss being based at KAPC. It was awesome.

When I was getting checked out by the FBO at CCR, the CFI had me fly to Sonoma Valley (0Q3). Wouldn't you know it, I set myself up for Sonoma Skypark (0Q9). I think he did that on purpose and I fell for it.

When I was a kid there were over a hundred of those old liberty ships now I think there is maybe 8 or 9 left. My aunt who just passed a few months ago welded those ships during the war at Mare Island. Always cracks me up when I hear guys bragging on their welding skills my crazy aunt worked a 440 volt welder, that will wake you up.

Watched your vid a couple of times very interesting the IFR departure different from the VFR that I must use (VFR pilot) looks like you go east of Diablo then head west but watching your flight it seems your on the east side then all of a sudden you back on the s/w slope. LVK is almost a commute to visit family. When departing 25r we make our right turn out before reaching the end of the strip then head straight for Buchanon passing over the class D and then just east of Napa for home.

Watched your vid a couple of times very interesting the IFR departure different from the VFR that I must use (VFR pilot) looks like you go east of Diablo then head west but watching your flight it seems your on the east side then all of a sudden you back on the s/w slope. LVK is almost a commute to visit family. When departing 25r we make our right turn out before reaching the end of the strip then head straight for Buchanon passing over the class D and then just east of Napa for home.

The departure procedure out of LVK takes you to ALTAM intersection. After reaching ALTAM and getting up to 4000 ft, the controller gave me direct APC so that put me right over Mt Diablo and over CCR. I couldn't see CCR because of the clouds. Filing /G helps!