Winchester, TN Mooney Accident, 18 April

wiguy

So meanwhile, back to this five passenger Mooney flight. The official report was released a few months ago, finding the pilot completely at fault, but no word on what they intended to do with him.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA&EventID=20150420X64153

Interesting, they listed his total hours as "999999".  I'm assuming that's a typo :)

They also did not perform toxicology.  I assume the FAA does not have jurisdiction to compel drug/alcohol testing, but that they could take that refusal to cooperate into account, am I correct?

Interesting, they listed his total hours as "999999".  I'm assuming that's a typo
They also did not perform toxicology.  I assume the FAA does not have jurisdiction to compel drug/alcohol testing, but that they could take that refusal to cooperate into account, am I correct?

I think the 999999 is the way they denote that an exact time couldn’t be determined. As for the drug/alcohol testing, I don’t think they have the ability to require a test. Although we did see an incident documented recently where the pilot on a controlled airport was asked to taxi back and the local police did do a breathalyzer on him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I think the 999999 is the way they denote that an exact time couldn’t be determined. As for the drug/alcohol testing, I don’t think they have the ability to require a test. Although we did see an incident documented recently where the pilot on a controlled airport was asked to taxi back and the local police did do a breathalyzer on him.

Interesting, I guess that does make sense, I wonder who actually asks local law enforcement to do that in that sort of situation.  I'm assuming the local FSDO does not get in the habit of calling 911 and that the tower guys can call local law enforcement...

Interesting, I guess that does make sense, I wonder who actually asks local law enforcement to do that in that sort of situation.  I'm assuming the local FSDO does not get in the habit of calling 911 and that the tower guys can call local law enforcement...

I think any substance tests are reserved for the fatal accidents and most likely due state or municipal laws requiring them.

It would be interesting to know if anyone was ever asked to provide a substance test during a routine FAA ramp inspection. Doubt it.