Winchester, TN Mooney Accident, 18 April

wiguy

......... One of them has over 30,000 hours in Mooneys......

I gotta call BS on the 30,000 hours claim. A professional pilot who flies A LOT may accumulate that number of hours over a career. To claim that many hours in a specific make is simply not believeable, especially when their primary occupation is not piloting.
  • Like 4

Pictures on Beechtalk taken by one of the passengers just before the crash and obtained by a news channel show 5 well built adults inc one in the luggage compartment!

Looks like natural selection just missed out this time.

Holy Chit!  I'm betting there was  1200lbs of flesh in that plane if not more.  Selfies are the worst kind of indictment. Doing something stupid with a big stupid smile on my face is not something I would want saved for posterity. 

I could not imagine that someone would be so incredibly stupid as to attempt something like this.  It's just depressing. If this was ignorance on the part of the pilot, than he was not qualified to hold a PPL.

post-8069-0-07304900-1429623056_thumb.jp

post-8069-0-18645200-1429623069_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Unbelievable! Why didn't I realize that you could carry passengers in the baggage compartment?! I have been using mine to store the snacks for my girls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would be careful what you put back there, a spilled soda can be bad for the spar. 

I gotta call BS on the 30,000 hours claim. A professional pilot who flies A LOT may accumulate that number of hours over a career. To claim that many hours in a specific make is simply not believeable, especially when their primary occupation is not piloting.

I would call BS on most of them regardless. That's about 10hrs of flight time a week from their 17th birthday until their 80th.  I know one guy who I believe is a legitimate 25,000hr pilot and he was a corporate pilot for a large hotel chain, long distance ferry pilot  and also instructed quite a bit when not flying his own plane.  At 84, after having suffered an Aneurysm, he's still a better stick than many guys half his age.  

Holy Chit! I'm betting there was 1200lbs of flesh in that plane if not more. Selfies are the worst kind of indictment. Doing something stupid with a big stupid smile on my face is not something I would want saved for posterity.

I could not imagine that someone would be so incredibly stupid as to attempt something like this. It's just depressing. If this was ignorance on the part of the pilot, than he was not qualified to hold a PPL.

attachicon.gifPIC and Pax.jpg

attachicon.gifrear pax.jpg

That cheating Amanda!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30,000 impossible?  I suppose you think Evelyn Johnson who operated flight school in Morristown, Tn didn't have over 60,000 hours and had been flying since she was about 40 years old?  More time than any living human being until she passed a couple years ago.

Jerry is approaching 80 and still flies more than any of you low time arm chair investigators here.  I notice the older guys who have real experience and are real  pilots never bad mouth a fellow pilot.. they have been there and done that.   thanks guys.

Incidentally,  half of those 30,000 hours has been in ferrying damaged mooneys and never a problem. he spent years in aeronautical engineering school before learning to fly..   worked for him.   still with us.

• Like 1

30,000 impossible?.....I notice the older guys who have real experience and are real pilots never bad mouth a fellow pilot.. they have been there and done that....half of those 30,000 hours has been in ferrying damaged mooneys

30,000 TOTAL hours is not impossible for a pilot whose primary occupation is piloting. 30,000 hours in a specific make is HIGHLY improbable. To then claim that 15,000 of those hours are ferrying damaged aircraft further expands the incredibility envelope. Let's do the math: That's ferrying 2,500 airplanes (approximately 1/4 of the entire Mooney fleet!) 6 hours a piece. When did he have any time to work on these airplanes?

Listen partner, I fly airplanes for a living. I am 58 years old. I have been there and done that. I know what it takes to accumulate 30,000 hours. That's why I called BS on the 30,000 hours claim.

• Like 5

I think the pilot saw too many episodes of The Dukes of Hazard. After all, The General Lee took a lick'n and kept on trumpeting "If I were in the land of cotton" on it's horn...

Just a monumental goober. They are everywhere. Try not to raise one.

Do you think that any real pilot that has a brain attempted to intervene? The "riders" assume that the pilot knows...In this case if someone...anyone observing this idiotic action could have educated them of their potential end...at least then they went to their fate knowing.

30,000 TOTAL hours is not impossible for a pilot whose primary occupation is piloting. 30,000 hours in a specific make is HIGHLY improbable. To then claim that 15,000 of those hours are ferrying damaged aircraft further expands the incredibility envelope. Let's do the math: That's ferrying 2,500 airplanes (approximately 1/4 of the entire Mooney fleet!) 6 hours a piece. When did he have any time to work on these airplanes?

Listen partner, I fly airplanes for a living. I am 58 years old. I have been there and done that. I know what it takes to accumulate 30,000 hours. That's why I called BS on the 30,000 hours claim.

Kinda like Wilt Chamberlin talking about the number of lady friends he had in his lifetime!

• Like 1

I Did comment at the start of this post and complimented pilot for what looked like a good job of not stalling out and flying into the crash.  but 5 full grown Marauder sized adults.  that is just stupid I don't care how much time you've logged. In fact someone with that many (debatable hours) should really know better.  I guess it proves better to be lucky than good.

Boy this thread has taken a turn for the worst.  Lots of personal attacks against fellow pilots. 

n253km attacked me by saying that I was mad that I didn't steal the plane and called it junk.

Far from that is the truth.  I looked back in my phone pictures and found out I looked at this airplane in Sept 2014. (I'll post from my phone the pics I had)  At the time I was needing a prop and an alerion for my 66 M20E project and really was just intrested in the parts.  The owner told me that it hadn't flown for over 10 years and that he hadn't run the engine in 4.  He said that he started to get an annual on it back then, but didn't want to spend the money to fix some squaks that were identified.  When I looked at it I realized that it had way to much potintial with the right person to be parted out.  It had no hail damage.  It was dirty from sitting, but looked like the original paint would clean up well.  The interior was old, but in good shape.  Right before it sat so many years, it had a gear up landing and was repaired but not painted.  The repairs looked good from the outside.  I didn't see any seaps from the tanks, but I didn't open the caps to see if any fuel was in it.  The engine had been torn down due to the prop strike with many things changed.  It was so much work I questioned why he didn't spend a little more and get a full overhaul.  The prop was brand new and showed very little wear.  He didn't advertise the price and he wouldn't give me one when I asked at first.  He keep wanting me to give an offer.  He seemed like such a nice guy I didn't want to insult him.  He finally thru out the 20k number and I didn't counter as I wasn't prepared to take the risk.  And we all know there are risks involved with aircraft that sit.  I wished him well and it looks like he got an offer he liked.

Now on to the crash.  If there was a problem with the engine from sitting, you wouldn't know it with out a full tairdown.  We don't know if that was done or not prior to the crash.  We also don't know anything about what was found and repaired during the annual.  I only bring this up becuase the report on the news said that the pilot reported loss of power on takeoff.  I see this as another example of why a good pre-buy is important.  Had I bought this aircraft, I would have done the exact same as what I think the Pressley's probably did.  I would have done a good annual, painted the unpainted parts, gave it a good cleaning, and flown it a bunch of hours locally to test the engine.

• Like 2