Hot startup

Dood

My lycoming (on a M20J)  is very very hard to start when the temperature is hot or when the motor has just make a flight. 

The motor has only 400 hours since overhaul.

Have you the same problem ? Can you describe me your engine start procedure  ?

thanks

I've owned my 81' J for a little over a year and had the same problem initially. Many on this site suggest to leave the throttle at 1000 rpm at shut down and don't touch it. For hot start up leave the mixture closed and turn it over. When it fires push the mixture in. Works every time. I do the same on cold starts with the added step of 5 secs of boost pump the the mixture wide open before closing it for start. It really seems to help to have the throttle open to that magic 1000rpm mark.

• Like 3

My lycoming (on a M20J)  is very very hard to start when the temperature is hot or when the motor has just make a flight. 

thanks

Ah, the joys of a C! Mixture rich, pump throttle, turn key & push, release when it fires. Every time, hot, cold, recently flown or snowy (with preheat).

• Like 1

Ah, the joys of a C! Mixture rich, pump throttle, turn key & push, release when it fires. Every time, hot, cold, recently flown or snowy (with preheat).

+1 for the C. A friend who owns a J commented when leaving Don Maxwell's that I should have had my engine checked as it started toooo fast!

Mine is a TSIO but I believe the principles are the same.  When hot, I don't prime, pump or anything else.  I crack the throttle, go full rich, and it almost always fires right up.

Question: when did you last check the timing on your mags?  That was the culprit when I went through a period of hard starts.

thanks

At 400 hours you're close to needing the 500 hour check completed on your magneto or magnetos. Along with magneto maintenance check your spark plugs, if they are Champion brand check them for high internal resistance.

Clarence

At 400 hours you're close to needing the 500 hour check completed on your magneto or magnetos. Along with magneto maintenance check your spark plugs, if they are Champion brand check them for high internal resistance.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence, I'll check my spark plugs

• 5 weeks later...

Just do a flooded engine start when it's hot. Mixture at cutoff, throttle full open, crank, and adjust throttle/mixture when she fires.

This works for me, too. 201J.

If it only sat for a few hrs & still warm, it takes a fairly short shot of boost fuel/mix rich. Then idle cut off & crank. Think every motor's a little different.