Gear Actuator Needed Please Help

Hello everyone,

I am working on a 75 M20F with the ITT Gear Actuator LA11C2114.  The bearings on the actuator failed and damaged the jack screw.  Please tell me someone has an actuator with a good jack screw, I can reuse the gears from this one.   Please help get this bird flying again instead of sending her for scrap.  

Thank you,

Brent  63-C-

Lapeer Aviation Inc. 

810-664-6966

post-9141-0-70590100-1429279158_thumb.jp

I really know nothing about this particular actuator as it is not the one in my plane, so other than calling Dan, or Paul at LASAR, I was thinking that the screwed up thread looks an awful lot like Acme threaded rod. If it happens to be a standard thread size, perhaps if worse comes to worse, you could machine a new part from Acme rod under the owner produced part provisions. Just an idea.

• Like 1

Well,,,,    NO...

I dont think that is ACME threads,,,

I am sure it is a Recirculating Ball Bearing Actuation rod!

The Black square block should be where the balls are,,  does it come apart in half?

I have sent emails to all of the Mooney parts suppliers with no luck so far.  I was hoping someone had one with bad gears.   Mooney makes a retro-fit kit to install a new style Eaton gear actuator for the low price of $23995 with a 10 week lead time. The customer will not spend the money on the retro-kit,  the plane geared up and the cost of repairing will exceed the value if we cannot find another option.  The ball bearings in the block are no longer round and were falling out literally.   Anyone need parts for a M20F Mooney?   

They do look like ACME threads http://www.mcmaster.com/#precision-acme-lead-screws/=wu2jpt  http://www.sdp-si.com/Acme-Lead-Screws.htm   The transmission side is probably a pin or a nut which should not be hard for a machinist to swap out lead screws.    Based on Mooney sourcing practices, you would think that this is not specific to a Mooney.   Would it be possible to convert over to manual gear for cheaper.

Yes, 24 amu is the number from straight from Steve at Mooney... We cannot change over to a manual gear as there are things called parts manuals and you cannot install parts that are not listed in the manuals...They stopped using J-bars in 69' & Mooney does offer the retro-kit so you cannot start making parts in your garage because you do not like the price.  I wish that was the case but I still would not manufacture my own gear actuator due to that liability thing.  I own a J-bar C model and you couldn't give me electric gear for free!!!  J-bar for life (:

Thanks,

Brent

• Like 1

24k for the conversion parts? They really want to get people to consider buying new rather than used airplanes, but support like that will drive a previous Mooney owner over to a different brand (with fixed gear).

I just found that my 67 F was converted from Johnson bar to electric by the first owner back in 1967-68. Maybe I should convert it back to manual and sell the electric components to keep another one (like this) flying. It would save 4-5 hours of work at the annual cleaning, inspecting, repacking that actuator every year. Anybody have a parts list to convert back to original?

By the way, Brent at Lapeer Aviation is a great guy. He dropped what he was doing to install some missing screws on my underbelly before my first flight. Then he did it again when my generator was acting up (again on my first flight). Great group of Mooney guys there.

"An example of how lightweight these actuators are is their application in various Cessna aircraft as a flap actuator."  I tried but my google FU could not find what Cessna they were used on... It kind of looks like a Citation

http://www.donmaxwell.com/publications/MAPA_TEXT/Dukes%20ITT%20landing%20gear/dukes__itt_landing_gear_actuato.htm