Drop and Replace LED Landing Light

Tommy

I put the Whelen in before my NVFR instruction. I was amazed at how much it lit up the sky and entire runway. You won't be disappointed. But, the real bonus of going to the LED is current draw and reliability. I heard that leaving the light on tends to act as a bird deterrent. I don't know if that is true or not, but I think leaving the light on during all flight may provide some added safety as anti collision. If you have a generator, then I think the LED is a must.

I think I paid $230 from spruce. Cheap safety feature I think

Just a quick note, I recently tested 3 new Whelen Parmetheus Plus PAR36 bulbs. A 28V taxi, 28V landing and 14V landing. I also have an older (non plus) PAR36 Parmetheus 14V landing light. 

The 28V bulbs draw 0.66A

The 14V bulbs draw 1.32A

The Taxi light is not great. Plus version or not. It's spread is so wide, and throw so short, it's about useless, unless you need a very wide flood light. 

The older 14V Parmetheus is acceptably bright. But does dim if voltage drops below 13. It's not as bright as a 100W standard GE4509. However, since the LED color temperature is better, the illumination is not quite a spot beam, it is more pleasing to fly behind than a GE4509. 

The "Plus" versions are considerably brighter and regardless of 14V or 28V, all equally bright. They are "just right", do not overheat (a problem with some other brands) and they compare more than favorably to the standard GE landing lights in output and illumination. 

Which brands overheat?  Good to know (espeically if it's the one in my plane!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I see. So one has to physically measure the old light bulb to determine which one to buy? Just curious what would a 1981 M20J take?

Many Js have been modified, my 78 has wing mounted 36s, like the later models, generally 46s are singles and 36s are used in pairs, but only way to know sure is to measure.

The May 2015 Aviation Consumer has an article on landing lights. For LEDs, they liked the Aero LED Sunspot ($325-$364), followed by Whelen Parmetheus ($229), Rigid/Precise Flight ($230) and Teledyne Alphabeam ($275).

Notes:

They appear to have only tested PAR 36 lamps. The Rigid/Precise Flight is only for experimentals. It looks like the Whelen Parmetheus was the old one and not the new Parmetheus Plus model (I'm not sure; I've asked the author for clarification.) The prices are from the article. They did say HID were brightest.

I have the Parmetheus PAR46 in my J....much whiter light than the GE....even if not as bright...lights up a lot more of the peripheral objects during taxi...doesn't make a lot of difference for landing IMO....although it is marketed as a "drop-in replacement" the installation instructions do require a few checks to be made of radio interference and current draw do s log book sign off by an A&P is technically required....Wgelen actually recommend a 337 be submitted...although I fid not do this as my IA was happy to sign it off as minor...

PAR:  Measuring the diameter of the bulb in 1/8's of an inch.  PAR 36 is 36 eight's of an inch, or 4.5 inches.  Par 46 is 46 eight's of an inch, or 5.75 inches.

Again, many are happy with the PAR 46 sized replacements as there are more LED didoes.

It's the PAR 36 bulbs that have some not thrilled about brightness, especially the original PAR 36 Whelen's.  The new brighter Whelen's and especially the PAR 46 bulbs (many manufacturers) have had satisfactory results.

My old F model and the J model in the cowling is Par 46 sized.  I also know that a C used Par 46 size.  I think C-J were PAR 46, and the switch to PAR 36 was made from the K on up.

The Dual lights in the K cowling are Par 36 Sized.  The Wings are PAR 36 sized.

That's why I went with AeroLEDs - for Par 36, they are the brightest.  And as mentioned before, the HX variety has the pulse/wig wag feature.  If I had PAR 36 in the wings, I'd hook it up for on, off, wig wag, and pulse.

In my cowling, I have the AeroLED HX taxi light set up for on/off/pulse and an LX landing bulb for on/off.

-Seth

The best light output in width and depth is the Teledyne Alphabeam. Whelen is a close second. Either is twice as good as your stock lamp, mostly due to whiter light, not brighter light. 

HID is far better and well worth the money. I have done many Field Approvals using the XeVision lamps, but you can always buy a Knots 2U lamp for a little more money already STC'd. The Xevisions come in around $600 installed and are brighter than K2U and Lopresti. They are up to 75 watts compared to 35 watt K2U systems.

Either way, HID is 5-7 times brighter than an incandescent lamp, and 4-5 times brighter than the best LED. 

I have a M20K and it takes the PAR36.  I just installed two Whelen Parmetheus Plus bulbs in the cowling.   I'll try to test it at night this weekend.

I flew the plane Friday night.  I'm quite happy with the Parmetheus Plus.  It lit the runway and taxiway quite well

Installed the new Parmetheus Plus Par 46 LED landing light. Pretty straight forward but it's not as bright as I would've hoped for. However, just looking at this photo, it looks like it's wasting a lot of light pointing directly down rather than forward. (I tripled checked and aligned "top" correctly).

I know there are three adjustment screws that I turn to get the light pointing more upwards but I just want to see what everyone else's light distribution looks like?

post-12493-0-97234200-1431512022_thumb.j

Installed the new Parmetheus Plus Par 46 LED landing light. Pretty straight forward but it's not as bright as I would've hoped for. However, just looking at this photo, it looks like it's wasting a lot of light pointing directly down rather than forward. (I tripled checked and aligned "top" correctly).

I know there are three adjustment screws that I turn to get the light pointing more upwards but I just want to see what everyone else's light distribution looks like?

I have the same light and feel the same way.  I wanted to discuss this with the manufacturer at Sun N Fun but nobody there cared and I felt like I would never buy one of their products again after visiting them...

• 2 weeks later...

The May 2015 Aviation Consumer has an article on landing lights. For LEDs, they liked the Aero LED Sunspot ($325-$364), followed by Whelen Parmetheus ($229), Rigid/Precise Flight ($230) and Teledyne Alphabeam ($275).

Notes:

They appear to have only tested PAR 36 lamps. The Rigid/Precise Flight is only for experimentals. It looks like the Whelen Parmetheus was the old one and not the new Parmetheus Plus model (I'm not sure; I've asked the author for clarification.) The prices are from the article. They did say HID were brightest.

Video. http://youtu.be/sYS2YXi8jTg