Drop and Replace LED Landing Light

Tommy

This one fits and may or may not be in use by some of the members here. It is not certified and it only has an 8-degree arc where the certified bulbs are a 10-degree arc. If someone was to use it I would recommend that they keep their other bulb to put back in at annual if their IA requires it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LQG64S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 minute ago, Brian_tii said:

Bulb life varies on model of bulb, but some of the more popular ones can be as low as 25 hours. Our Cirrus uses a single par36 4596 250w 28v bulb that kept burning out - rated at only 25 hours. The also common 4509 is only good for 25 hours too. A few models are in the 200-300 hour range, if you look for them. We switched to the aeroleds sunspot 36-4596 which is a 100w led... its bright and so far so good - only had it a couple months though. It's rated for something like 5000 hours with a 5 year warranty.

I think Mooneys use the par46 bulbs... you can check out all the various GE models on their site which includes expected bulb life:

http://commercial.gelighting.com/catalog/c/Lamps_Specialty_Transportation_Aircraft?q=%3Arelevance%3Afeature-BulbShape%3APAR36%3Afeature-BulbShape%3APAR46&text=#

ps - 4522 is rated at 25 hours too - http://commercial.gelighting.com/catalog/p/24700

Vintage Mooneys use PAR46 bulbs, while newer models use PAR36 (definitely the -36 if your landing lights are buried in the wing).

When mine burned out after several years (worked fine for preflight at dusk, nothing on landing 3 hours later--base leg towards a parallel ridge and final over the trees, leveling off by altitude until clear of them, in the dark with no light!). So I put in a Whelen Parmetheus and have only turned it off one time in three years, halfway through the first IFR certification in my hangar.

• Like 2

One of the fantastic things is that on taxi landing light comes on and it stays on until engine shutdown since replacing with the LED.  +1 for extra visibility without having the bulb go out on final (happened once, landing was fine taxi involved me sticking my arm out with a flashlight in the freezing cold- not fun). Also the current draw on the old incandescent is rather high and had burned out the 40 year old connector.  Literally the plastic had melted as I suppose the current started to arc within the connector. . The current draw is low on the LED and my heavy duty connection should be good for many years. Couldn't be happier with my LED. 

I use the one from Amazon on my lawn tractor and can highly recommend it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Recently replaced the older incandescent type landing light on the 20E with the LED.  The difference is current draw is quite amazing - the incandescent would cause the switches to feel warm - no longer.  Also feel like the light is much more visible as a running-type light.  Nice.

• 1 year later...

http://ifeproducts.com/

Check out these guys! 

They are one of the few that offer a normal solution to the PAR 64 lamps. (Airline/corporate jet) . They blow everything out of the water, and are not as expensive as you think. They are made near Chicago. Their par 36 & 46 lamps are bright on spec.

I will order some for my next project!! 

-Matt

3 minutes ago, MB65E said:

http://ifeproducts.com/

Check out these guys! 

They are one of the few that offer a normal solution to the PAR 64 lamps. (Airline/corporate jet) . They blow everything out of the water, and are not as expensive as you think. They are made near Chicago. Their par 36 & 46 lamps are bright on spec.

I will order some for my next project!! 

-Matt

Group buy? I'd hate to inundate them with emails requesting info for GA aircraft, but the approach I would use, which is true, is that many light aircraft owners and operators are tightly associated with corporate and commercial operators and, just like FBOs treating the guy in his piston single well may bring him back with  his boss in the BBJ, the same goes for products and market penetration. 

So, with that said, has anybody contacted them? 

2 minutes ago, Antares said:

Group buy? I'd hate to inundate them with emails requesting info for GA aircraft, but the approach I would use, which is true, is that many light aircraft owners and operators are tightly associated with corporate and commercial operators and, just like FBOs treating the guy in his piston single well may bring him back with  his boss in the BBJ, the same goes for products and market penetration. 

So, with that said, has anybody contacted them? 

I have some emails from them. I can get pricing on the 46&36 lamps. 

They were great to talk with. They obviously were not harbor freight/ TSC cheap, but they state it will last 3-4 times longer and is better made than the current aviation products. Their price was on par with other MFG. Maybe they can be a supplier for spruce or organize their web site to take orders. I was just excited that their par 64 lamps were not thousands of dollars like some of the OEMs can be. 

-Matt

7 minutes ago, MB65E said:

I have some emails from them. I can get pricing on the 46&36 lamps. 

They were great to talk with. They obviously were not harbor freight/ TSC cheap, but they state it will last 3-4 times longer and is better made than the current aviation products. Their price was on par with other MFG. Maybe they can be a supplier for spruce or organize their web site to take orders. I was just excited that their par 64 lamps were not thousands of dollars like some of the OEMs can be. 

-Matt

I would be interested as my incandescent landing light quit this week...good thing it's the longest day of the year!

• 2 months later...

I just noticed that Aircraft Spruce has now mentioned LoPresti is doing a LED lights now(LOPRESTI ILLUMIVATION LAZR PAR 36 LED WITH STC FOR GA AIRCRAFT and a $1000 PAR46 as well). No specs listed just  '60% Brighter', nothing useful on their website yet either. Looks like it will cover anything that currently has an STC, so Mooney will be included.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 7:13 PM, Steve W said:

I just noticed that Aircraft Spruce has now mentioned LoPresti is doing a LED lights now(LOPRESTI ILLUMIVATION LAZR PAR 36 LED WITH STC FOR GA AIRCRAFT and a $1000 PAR46 as well). No specs listed just  '60% Brighter', nothing useful on their website yet either. Looks like it will cover anything that currently has an STC, so Mooney will be included.

Sadly Lopresti never did an STC for "K" models - seems everyone else is covered though. Applies to their Boom Beam, and probably will carry forward to their LEDs?

21 minutes ago, pwnel said:

Sadly Lopresti never did an STC for "K" models - seems everyone else is covered though. Applies to their Boom Beam, and probably will carry forward to their LEDs?

So, the horrible website does indicate they'll cover K,L,M,R,S... but as there's no actual specifications, who knows:

https://www.illumi-vation.com/shop

Also, they have the J listed as a PAR 46 nose light, so obviously they don't want some of our business... I'd likely not buy them anyway, but more competition is always better.

Contact Lopresti directly with questions...

Roy (RIP) Lopresti is the father of the aerodynamic mods of modern Mooneys.

While working at Mooney, The J and K were big projects for him... later, he started his own company.

Cowling and lights seem to be important to that effort...

The kids seem to still be running the business.  

As for pricing... that seems to follow after making the best and highest quality parts...  resulting in being only affordable by some... the nice Mooney cowl is priced in the range of a small car...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Contact Lopresti directly with questions...

Roy (RIP) Lopresti is the father of the aerodynamic mods of modern Mooneys.

While working at Mooney, The J and K were big projects for him... later, he started his own company.

Cowling and lights seem to be important to that effort...

The kids seem to still be running the business.  

As for pricing... that seems to follow after making the best and highest quality parts...  resulting in being only affordable by some... the nice Mooney cowl is priced in the range of a small car...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I did.  That was the response.  They never got around to STC the "K". David did offer a great discount on the Boom Beam and help with a 337 if I wanted to go ahead with that process.

Edited by pwnel
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steve W said:

So, the horrible website does indicate they'll cover K,L,M,R,S... but as there's no actual specifications, who knows:

https://www.illumi-vation.com/shop

Also, they have the J listed as a PAR 46 nose light, so obviously they don't want some of our business... I'd likely not buy them anyway, but more competition is always better.

??  The J does use a PAR 46 nose light?  I'm pretty sure I didn't just have a psychotic episode when I changed my landing light... B)

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

??  The J does use a PAR 46 nose light?  I'm pretty sure I didn't just have a psychotic episode when I changed my landing light... B)

That's why I said some of us. Mine has 4 wing mounted PAR 36.. and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't hallucinating when I changed 2 of them out for LEDs, plenty of cursing though.

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1