Close one, ck density altitude....

Cabanaboy

Yeah, you're right, Im not sure why it is not showing the video preview.

All the description i would provide is in the subject line so it does not spoil what you will see if you watch.

keyboard strokes are free here. 

It sure would be nice to have a little more description of these link messages. :huh:

This one is of a high wing taildragger clipping some fir trees on climb out at the edge of a lake.

• 7 months later...

A PERFECT candidate for a JATO unit. 

My father always told me, "there are plenty of old pilots in this world, and there are some bold pilots.  But they're aren't any old bold pilots."  Its part of the Darwin effect and it keeps our pilot species leaned out.

17 hours ago, Barcho said:

A PERFECT candidate for a JATO unit. 

My father always told me, "there are plenty of old pilots in this world, and there are some bold pilots.  But they're aren't any old bold pilots."  Its part of the Darwin effect and it keeps our pilot species leaned out.

It's an old saying, fortunately or unfortunately, I know of a few pilots that are "old and bold". Most are in their 70s and 80s now. All of them are ATPs.

Just a word to the wise.  We have a lot of lakes here in MN, and lakes suck.  Literally.  The cold water means the air column above the lake is going to be cooler than the surrounding air, creating a downdraft, or at least less updraft than the surrounding land mass.  The same thing happens at "bluff" airports at some times of the day, meaning airports that are up on a bluff somewhere.  It is a somewhat different mechanism from "lake suck," downslope flow develops usually in the evening but at other times of the day also.  Doesn't always happen and it is not a big change most of the time, but it happens enough you need to watch out for it.  My home field, KFCM, is a bluff airport and I once saw an instantaneous loss of 10 kts. on takeoff in a Warrior the moment I got out over the downslope.

When I took my commercial, word was the examiner liked to take people to an airport called Maple Lake for the performance landings.  I went out there and did some practice and could see why.  The approach to the west facing runway was entirely over a good sized lake which meant no good ground reference to judge altitude during something like a power off 180, and of course the lake sucked, so the lift was poor out over the lake and changed immediately when you got over the runway.  To top it off, the runway has a downslope and it was particularly sharp right at the approach end, so if you had to try stick a power off 180 within minus 0 plus 200 feet of the approach end, it was a real challenge.  Took some practice.  Then, of course, we went someplace else during the checkride. 

It did not look like that was the problem in the video, but I would not want to make a marginal high density altitude takeoff that goes out over a lake like that guy did, regardless of what the POH says.

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

Just a word to the wise.  We have a lot of lakes here in MN, and lakes suck.  Literally.  The cold water means the air column above the lake is going to be cooler than the surrounding air, creating a downdraft, or at least less updraft than the surrounding land mass.  The same thing happens at "bluff" airports at some times of the day, meaning airports that are up on a bluff somewhere.  It is a somewhat different mechanism from "lake suck," downslope flow develops usually in the evening but at other times of the day also.

That is an excellent point. It's something we talk about during basic mountain training in Colorado. This, for example, is the airport at Glenwood Springs, CO (KGWS). The airport is in a canyon, the runway raised up, and you can see the Roaring Fork River (brrrr!) crossing short final (the photo is north on the bottom for some reason - the norm is to land on 32 and takeoff on 14). Even without a northerly wind, the sink can make things a real challenge.

GWS