Appareo Stratus ESG

HRM

I started this new thread because the other one degenerated into a privacy cluster.

I am looking at the ESG as perfect for me for the following reasons (anybody else in this club?):

1. I am a card-carrying member of the cheap bastards society.
  2. My panel is most likely not going to be updated much, I am keeping it "close to original". If I flew for business or had more money than cents I would install an all-glass wonderland with a Garmin kool-aid dispenser.
  3. I like the idea of pulling my NARCO AT-50A out and sliding the ESG in (minor wiring mods).
  4. The ESG will use my existing transponder antenna (bonus).
  5. The ESG comes with WAAS GPS and a GPS antenna (bonus).

So, the ESG will now give me a mode-S transponder and ADS-B out. Am I done? Is that all I need to be compliant?

Yes, I realize that if I want ADS-B in I'll need a separate system (Stratus 2/iPad/FF will do it).

I dream of <$2K ADS-B out and here it is. Yes, I know it is 3.4 AMU, but that old NARCO AT-50A of mine is not going to last forever  :o

• Like 2

I think it is a complete 2020 system.  It has the built in WAAS and the 1090ES.  That's all you need.  I think there are other systems that use your existing transponder in the same price range.  If you have an old transponder, IMO this is a great way to go.  As I've mentioned in other threads, a compelling reason for me to get the KT74 was that my 76A was acting funny, and I was ready to get rid of it.

I think I'll be going with the Stratus ESG for sure. I have been using the Stratus and Foreflight for over a year now and am a great fan. Several pluses with this new transponder, not the least of which is that it will allow us to remotely mount and power the Stratus 2. Plus the quality we can expect from Appareo.

• Like 1

I think I'll be going with the Stratus ESG for sure. I have been using the Stratus and Foreflight for over a year now and am a great fan. Several pluses with this new transponder, not the least of which is that it will allow us to remotely mount and power the Stratus 2. Plus the quality we can expect from Appareo.

Doesn't the Stratus 2 get it's signals from the ESG? If so, I thought you could shove it up behind the panel somewhere, so your iPad gets all the Stratus data, along with the ESG data, and everything is clean since it is in/inside the panel. 

Great solution to my mind.

Doesn't the Stratus 2 get it's signals from the ESG? If so, I thought you could shove it up behind the panel somewhere, so your iPad gets all the Stratus data, along with the ESG data, and everything is clean since it is in/inside the panel. 

Great solution to my mind.

I don't think it works like that.  Please feel free to correct me, but the ESG will be your "out" signal.  You need that to trigger the stations to send the traffic signals to you via the "in" signal that the status receives.  So, you still need the stratus to receive the ADSB-in signal for weather and traffic.

Anyone know if this will slide right into a KT76A tray, or whether it will require more work? I was looking at the AXP340 because it's a plug-and-play replacement for the KT76A, but the problem there is that it needs a WAAS GPS, and my Garmin 430 is not WAAS.

Anyone know if this will slide right into a KT76A tray, or whether it will require more work? I was looking at the AXP340 because it's a plug-and-play replacement for the KT76A, but the problem there is that it needs a WAAS GPS, and my Garmin 430 is not WAAS.

can't answer your first question, but even the plug and play replacements need some work.  They are only direct replacements as a transponder.  If you want to connect it to a WAAS GPS, you will need another connection which requires a new tray.

can't answer your first question, but even the plug and play replacements need some work.  They are only direct replacements as a transponder.  If you want to connect it to a WAAS GPS, you will need another connection which requires a new tray.

It is my understanding you could use the existing tray still if you just connect to a wass GPS, but will need to change it if you would like audible warnings. I could have misunderstood, however, and I cant imagine not wanting the audible warnings. A tray change in a bravo was quoted 4 hrs labor to me. 

It is my understanding you could use the existing tray still if you just connect to a wass GPS, but will need to change it if you would like audible warnings. I could have misunderstood, however, and I cant imagine not wanting the audible warnings. A tray change in a bravo was quoted 4 hrs labor to me. 

I could be repeating some stuff wrong, but I had to replace my tray to get a WAAS feed for the transponder.  I'm not exactly sure why, but I know for the 2020 compliance, I was told I couldn't use the old tray.  He mentioned that tray removals in my mooney took longer b/c they are riveted vs using screws.

I don't think it works like that.  Please feel free to correct me, but the ESG will be your "out" signal.  You need that to trigger the stations to send the traffic signals to you via the "in" signal that the status receives.  So, you still need the stratus to receive the ADSB-in signal for weather and traffic.

Yes, agreed. The Stratus 2 is only needed for ADS-B in and it uses the antennas/data from the ESG so it can be hidden away.

It appears this solution will fit a number of non wass equipped planes for about 4200 in hardware counting the stratus II plus an installation fee. Does anyone know if it is a direct slide in replacement for a particular transponder?

Kings (and avidyne's and trigs and ???) direct slide in kt74 for their kt76a series makes an economical solution out of planes with an existing king transponder and WAAS gps, at about 3500 all in (ads b receiver, kt74 and install), plus you are not limited to US only and under FL18.

It will be an interesting time at SunNFun listening to the players' pitch "why them" this year.

That's my understanding from reading other posts on here:

The WAAS feed uses a different connector and, therefore, requires tray replacement to access that additional connector.

The original KT-76 requires the new tray to install the KT-74.

For the The KT-76A/C, the KT-74 can use that tray IF you are not using that additional connection for GPS input ...

It is my understanding you need the new tray if you want aurial warnings, but can use existing if you want GPS input only without the audio. Tray change in a Bravo was quoted at 4 hrs. If I have been misled, please let me and everyone else know. 

• 1 year later...

Appareo just announced the TSO'd Stratus ESGi. This consists of an ESG along with a Stratus 2i. The latter is a stripped down 2S that gets it's power and GPS signal from the ESG. It then works like a 2S and sends ADS-B In data to your iPad. The complete solution+ transponder for $3,495.

Stratus-ESGi.jpg

Originally the box was supposed to have a magic panel that you could install and plug in your Stratus antenna.  The box was supposed to give your Stratus its exterior antenna (hence better reception) and power.  If that's still the case I'm sold.  If I have to buy a brand new Stratus 2i I'll have to think about it some more.

On July 7, 2016 at 11:54 AM, steingar said:

Originally the box was supposed to have a magic panel that you could install and plug in your Stratus antenna.  The box was supposed to give your Stratus its exterior antenna (hence better reception) and power.  If that's still the case I'm sold.  If I have to buy a brand new Stratus 2i I'll have to think about it some more.

It still works with the Stratus 2. This option is for those like me that have no interest in carrying a Stratus around (from plane to plane) or messing with the batteries. I think the 2i can be mounted up under the panel.

I think the resale of a Stratus 2 will be quite good for quite awhile...