Annual Anxiety

chrisk

Maybe it is just me, but I always have an anxious feeling when my plane is in for an annual.  And right now, my plane is at Don Maxwell's for its annual, and its the first time with Don.  It was time for the 500 hour inspection on the Mags, so that happened first.  I'm still waiting for a call...  We all know there is always something, but hope it's not anything too big.

• Like 2

I feel your pain.  I never know if it's going to be a $2500 annual (usually $1800ish base plus fixing things and parts at my local MSC) or a lot more (highest was just under $10,000 on my former aircraft).  Usually as the years go on, you get your aircraft into better and better shape and the additional costs are simply upgrades or known upcoming expenses (like knowing I'm overhauling my prop this year).

The first year annual, especially at a high end MSC shop like Don's, well, they are going to find A LOT of items.  Divide the list into airworthy must haves, suggested should haves - that you should really take care of, and then the nice to haves that you can push off for a year or until the bank account recovers.  Make sure anything you push off is not going to cause a more expensive fix later.

They know Mooney's really well and can spot chafing brake lines, small things that can turn into big things and just want to make sure your plane leaves better than when it came in.  If you are going to keep your aircraft in the long run, it's worth it.  If you are a hands on owner (maybe even an A&P), you may spend less dollars at an MSC type shop, or not at all, but many of us don't have the mechanical Mooney knowledge.  

I hope it doesn't hurt the wallet too much!

-Seth 

I hope yours goes better than mine!

My K was in for annual and #4 low on compression, decided to do complete top, then needed oversize pistons.  Sent prop out for overhaul, needs hub, so I am replacing the prop.  Leaking caliper and dented truss and donuts.  Removed alternator for oil leak, overhauled alt and needed alt housing.  Went from 5 to 10 to 25.  Just now out of my coma and able to talk about it.

I hope yours goes well!

The first year annual, especially at a high end MSC shop like Don's, well, they are going to find A LOT of items. 

The last 3 annuals have been at Dugosh, so I am hoping they don't find to much.  

My K was in for annual and #4 low on compression, decided to do complete top, then needed oversize pistons.  Sent prop out for overhaul, needs hub, so I am replacing the prop.  Leaking caliper and dented truss and donuts.  Removed alternator for oil leak, overhauled alt and needed alt housing.  Went from 5 to 10 to 25.  Just now out of my coma and able to talk about it.

I hope yours goes well!

You just perfectly described my anxiety!  Sorry for your pain.

Still a couple of months to go for mine. I would rather pay a visit to the proctologist. don't get mw wrong I love working on my bird but my first 2 annuals were very expensive.  I sincerely hope yours is painless  good luck...

I hope yours goes well!

I'm so sorry, and glad you have all that new equipment in your aircraft!

The last 3 annuals have been at Dugosh, so I am hoping they don't find to much.  

If Dugosh lives up to it's reputation then what is found should be minimal.  However, some say from time to time it is good to get another set of eyes on your bird.

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  I never know if it's going to be a $2500 annual (usually $1800ish base plus fixing things and parts at my local MSC) or a lot more (highest was just under $10,000 on my former aircraft).  Usually as the years go on, you get your aircraft into better and better shape and the additional costs are simply upgrades or known upcoming expenses (like knowing I'm overhauling my prop this year).

The first year annual, especially at a high end MSC shop like Don's, well, they are going to find A LOT of items.  Divide the list into airworthy must haves, suggested should haves - that you should really take care of, and then the nice to haves that you can push off for a year or until the bank account recovers.  Make sure anything you push off is not going to cause a more expensive fix later.

and you can divide that list a little further.

Airworthy items,

suggested should haves -now

and all others, which can either be done by owner under FAR 43, or by owner under supervision of an A&P, or by an independent A&P who charges less.

I hope yours goes well!

So the only airworthy powerplant stuff was the alternator and the #4 cylinder, right?  Sounds like the other 5 cylinders and the prop were optional.

• Like 1

I get "Annual anxiety" with every annual as well. I wonder which customer will stiff me!

Clarence

Must not be too many or you could not afford the gas for that beautiful beast you fly. Sure would like to hear what it sounds like on a high speed low pass, I mean missed approach

Byron,

I noticed another interesting entry in the link you shared...

2014 Factory Winners

TWIN-1T

425. Norm Howell

Aerostar 601P, 285.99 MPH

That is our Norman/ Mr. Efficiency, isn't it?

I know about Carson's speed and a few other things from his writings...

I can only imagine what the FF is at that speed...

Speaking of FF and high speeds...

Brett, we're going to need to work El Presidente into a week of speed!

Best regards,

-a-

Lessen the anxiety by requesting an owner assist annual! Not only you get to know your bird better, you also get to see the work actually being done (parts / hours / quality) so you don't walk away pondering have you been over charged (not that I am suggesting a reputable guy like Don will rip you off)!

Provided that you are not a demanding, aggressive, arrogant PITA

:P

• Like 1

Ah, come on Clarence. You surely have some customers that you have a great relationship with!

Obviously I'm kidding. There are however a few and they own plastic airplanes. The metal crowd are no problem.

Clarence

I stopped having shops do maintenance for me years ago. You don't get the same quality of work you'd demand of yourself and you lose control of the parts sourcing. All you need is to find an IA who will supervise all your work and then follow up by verifying all the inspection. It's a good gig for the IA because he can make some money and not get greasy and you can ensure work is done right and open more possibility for parts sourcing. Rather than the one supplier used by the shop you can choose from Aircraft Spruce, Chief, some of the aircraft wrecking yards etc.

if I couldn't work on my plane is probably just sell it. Too many things to go wrong.

--Robert

• Like 3

I hope yours goes well!

Bob can you expound on why you did a complete top? I at least hope it was you pressing your mechanic and not the other way around How low is low compression? How many hours on the alt at overhaul? Why would your prop need a hub, was it cracked? Why would needing a new hub cause you to buy a new prop? That's a bit like having a replacing having the differential on your car fail and deciding to replace perfectly good wheels and tires "just for good measure".

Are you getting additional performance with the new prop?