Advise on buying my first Mooney

JKSmith

I find it funny that people on a mooney group would recommend a commanche. They must be better airplanes than I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it came down to a Comanche or Mooney.  Safety statistics from AOPA, having a company that still supports the plane, the plane still being in production (or not too long out of production,depending one when you look), continuing AD's, and finding mechanics with good experience in the type were all things that went into my decision.  I obviously went with the Mooney.

I find it funny that people on a mooney group would recommend a commanche. They must be better airplanes than I thought

Because they're fast, 180k cruise, but comes at a cost: 19gph

Almost 1500lbs of useful load, but carrying full tanks you are down to about 700.

Mooneys are far more efficient, choose what's important to you.

I'd say in the end I would rather be efficient, if I was flying for work and planned to carry people with luggage all the time everywhere I went then a commanche would be more desirable. Since I try to do what I can to keep my costs down a mooney is still the best option to me.

A lot of recurring AD's on Commanche. Trickey to land. Fuel burn. I looked at the 250, but got the plane I felt did my mission better-M20E. With mods the Commanche is a neat looking plane...in a Mooney kind of way.

Missile vs. Commanche 400...Missile wins with a newer airframe.

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, bonal said:

Fantastic news, tell us more

I bought her from my father in law, it had 4037.0 total airframe time and 350+\- Hours on the new motor so that's a awesome plus. She sat for around 2 years after he bought his piper Saratoga. I've had the normal dry rot issues with some tires and some hoses, overall it's a excellent Mooney! I've put 36 hours on it in the past 6 months 

image.jpeg

Edited by JKSmith
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

I looked up you N number JK. I think your F is a 1974. Yetti's, Guitarman, mine a few others are 1975 Fs. One way to tell is the panel. Ours came with the big yokes and a panel that looks like an early 201.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it is a 74 here's a pic of my panel. Well some of it any

image.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

59 minutes ago, carusoam said:

One question....

does your wife fly...?

Best regards,

-a-

She likes to ride. But I'm going to have her go up with my instructor a few times to get comfortable with the mooney just in case things go south on my end  

• Like 1