Advise on buying my first Mooney

JKSmith

It is probably a 1975 or better model

$2200 to replace some tubing for the PC system and rebuild 4 servos along with the Turn coordinator and AH Gyro

$1100 for new hoses - owner maintenance about 20-30 hours to install smaller hands may go faster

$300 for new tires and tubes

$3000-5000 for ADSB out

$700 in parts for rebuilding both mags

$500 for owner done interior

Tools, parts and lubrication $1000

Propeller has not been painted an has old stickers $200 for eddy current   $2000 for reseal

Getting to know your plane by fixing it.   Priceless

Getting to fly something that you know intimately Priceless

He is probably pretty close on price.

Highly recommend David Bliss! Great mechanic and great person to work with. He helped me to get my plane out of J. Tune and into his shop for a two week clean-up and annual. My gallery shows my plane in his shop when it was getting ready to fly home. He knows Mooney's well. I would not worry about the low hours per year, at least it has been flying. I have a 75 with the same throttle quadrant, actually nice to fly with once you get used to it.

Tim

He's something else that's for sure, really nice guy! I'm also glad someone has had mooney experience with him, I've watched him work on Em but never talked to the owner afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The magnet test is an SB to check for corrosion in the molybdenum steel frame around the cockpit. It is the basis of the Mooney strength, and is the support for the rest of the plane. In a Cessna, the skin is a structural part [it contributes to the strength of the plane, but when bent, aircraft strength is compromised]; in our Mooneys, sheet metal is just there for aerodynamics, and is not structural [bent or even removed, aircraft strength is not changed, but flight characteristics will suffer].

Welcome, JK! Here's to many happy hours in the Mooney of your choice! Uh, "hours of happiness"? Certainly not "happy hours" in the drinking senses . . .  :P

• Like 1

The steel tubing is most likely all primed and painted on the outside on this plane.  The earlier planes had bare steel that tended to corrode.   The inside of the tubing was treated with boiled linseed oil prior to welding.  So not a big worry.

buy it.  fly it till it makes metal in the filter and have fun

You should think about replacing the Adel clamps that attach hoses to things the rubber has become hard an will rub paint away.

The magnet test is an SB to check for corrosion in the molybdenum steel frame around the cockpit. It is the basis of the Mooney strength, and is the support for the rest of the plane. In a Cessna, the skin is a structural part [it contributes to the strength of the plane, but when bent, aircraft strength is compromised]; in our Mooneys, sheet metal is just there for aerodynamics, and is not structural [bent or even removed, aircraft strength is not changed, but flight characteristics will suffer].

Welcome, JK! Here's to many happy hours in the Mooney of your choice! Uh, "hours of happiness"? Certainly not "happy hours" in the drinking senses . . . :P

Thank you for the clarification!! No matter what I'm in it's always hours of happiness! Can't wait to get this bird back with its Brothers and sisters and meet some fellow mooney owners! Seems like a pretty tight knit group!

The steel tubing is most likely all primed and painted on the outside on this plane.  The earlier planes had bare steel that tended to corrode.   The inside of the tubing was treated with boiled linseed oil prior to welding.  So not a big worry.

buy it.  fly it till it makes metal in the filter and have fun

You should think about replacing the Adel clamps that attach hoses to things the rubber has become hard an will rub paint away.

This is a 74 F, so he will have the zinc chromate and painted tubing. 

JK - I'm gonna drive by 4M7 this afternoon twice, to Clarksville and back. Any chance your around this afternoon? Like to check out your plane.

What time you think, I get off work around 5:30 or 6. I'd be happy to show you around

I have actual instruction time in a G from a instructor friend, the time put in the F is time me and the owner put on together to basically stretch its wings and check to see if everything ran properly, so no time in my log book since I wasn't PIC.

I'll ask David more about the magnet test.

There maybe variants in airframe, motor setup, or differences unknown by me.

When i say I'm located somewhere that's where I currently fly/rent from. 4M7 is visible from my house and that's where the mooney is. And M91 is closer than the current mechanic to the mooney.

No 182 hours may not be a lot, but you tend to hear a lot of hanger talk. And gain a bit of respect for the mooney G that I've been in that has nearly 8,000 total airframe time, and the cessna that I rent that has around 5,000, both used as trainers, when you see a plane sitting in a hanger getting a rebuild at 1,500 hours you kinda put 2 and 2 together.

The mooney space asked for a mooney and I hope to buy this one so I went ahead and put it in.

If you want some specifics like when I poop or eat my breakfast Just ask I'll help you out.

Wow!   Really kind of refreshing to get such a direct responsive,, response to so many questions.

Soooo,,,,   I am at a loss,,,,   except,  well maybe...

when...    do,,,,,    you poop?

Corn Flakes?     Really?

Your plane looks very stock, and nice, both in and out!

Fly it more,, Take your best PPI inspector  with you

I Really do wish you the best deal you can get out of this

you ARE paying Top Dollar!

BTW,,,   I AM an A$$...    I question,, I force thought, I want straight talk and thought,

I want You to be happy.

I want you to share stories about how happy you become!

Just my immediate, unfiltered reaction here:

Does it seem like recently we are getting a rash of people asking questions that have been tirelessly answered in the past?

Or has MS always had that condition and I'm just now paying enough attention to notice?

I don't really mean to be so rude, but there is a ton of information here, and it seems like lately no one bothers to read anything and make a well formed detail specific question before they post.

I remember when I first started looking for a Mooney and found MooneySpace.   It was rather confusing.  --Well it still is, I still don't know what the differences is between a "Statesman" and a "Super 21" .    As best as I can tell, it is was just a label they used that year.    A M20K is a 231, 252, a TSE, and an Encore.   A Bravo is a M20M. An Eagle is a M20S, which is like a M20R (Ovation), but with lower end avionics .  Don't ever buy a M20L, as Porsche doesn't support the engine.  And you probably can't find one for sale anyway.  --Very confusing. 

And it took some time to figure out that Mooneys come in 3 flavors:  Short (C,E), Medium (F,J,K), and Long bodies (Newer).     The older ones have either a carborated engine (C, G), a fuel injected Lycoming (F, J), or a turbo Continental (K).  Newer ones are all long bodies and the engine makes the distinction.  And then there is the Rocket, which is a M20K with a bigger engine.

My point is there is lots to absorb when starting out.  I have no issues with someone asking questions, even if most of us have seen the same question 50 times.

• Like 1

I'll probably be back before you are off work, but I would come back this evening when you could meet. Also, if it's okay I have a friend staying in Franklin who is an A/P and a pilot. He owned a V35 years ago and was a crop duster, too. And worked his way to DC9 for Eastern Airlines. I'd like to bring him along if your good with that.

I'll probably be back before you are off work, but I would come back this evening when you could meet. Also, if it's okay I have a friend staying in Franklin who is an A/P and a pilot. He owned a V35 years ago and was a crop duster, too. And worked his way to DC9 for Eastern Airlines. I'd like to bring him along if your good with that.

That's fine with me, send me your number so I can let you know when I get off for sure, I farm and I'm always on call at the fire department so my schedule can change pretty quickly at times.

I believe the throttle quad was just a few years around 1975.  Some love it, others hate it.

I had one in my 1970 F, and have instructed in many planes with them. Owners I have encountered all really liked it. One drawback, there isn't a vernier on the prop.

Very easy to go balls to the wall...

Here's your homework assignment. What is the difference between a Chaparral and an Executive? This is know your vintage Mooney's 101 stuff....

Not a Mooniac if you don't know OR don't care...

Man I love my Ranger!