TSIO-360-MB1 for sale

Hello All,

I just looked up the STC for the "262" conversion and found out any M20K S/N 25-0001 to 25-0889 could have a TSIO360MB (any version) engine installed. Also the STC is transferrable per FAR # 14 CFR 21.47.

Maybe Coy Jacob's heirs or probate attorney can transfer the STC - just a wild daydream.

My engine repair shop is still trying to find parts for the broken starter adaptor. I found out from TCM that a starter adapter from a TSIO360MB4B, MB2B or SB2B version will work on my engine.

Jeff

Edited by Falcon Man
FOUND THE PARTS I NEED FOR REPAIR - YES!

On 8/17/2020 at 5:04 PM, Falcon Man said:

Hello All,

I just looked up the STC for the "262" conversion and found out any M20K S/N 25-0001 to 25-0889 could have a TSIO360MB (any version) engine installed. Also the STC is transferrable per FAR # 14 CFR 21.47.

Maybe Coy Jacob's heirs or probate attorney can transfer the STC - just a wild daydream.

My engine repair shop is still trying to find parts for the broken starter adaptor. I found out from TCM that a starter adapter from a TSIO360MB4B, MB2B or SB2B version will work on my engine.

Jeff

Can you post the STC or where you found it 

It may take some effort...

But one of Coy’s STCs is listed among all the Mooney STCs... RayJay turbo...

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/C5746DE68D84D98E85256CC10080DF0B?OpenDocument&Highlight= mooney

You might find a way to make your search a bit more specific...

Best regards,

-a-

Forgive the newbie question but whats the deal with these STCs. If I possess these pieces of paper and I can find a shop willing, then I can put an MB engine in my 231? I know the STC costs money but whats to stop someone from buying the STC paperwork and then selling it for a discount to others or even giving it away for free?

K Model Mooniacs: The STC number is SA3106SO. You can find it below or on on the FAA STC website. I only have the first page. The Atlanta Aircraft Certification Office might have all the other pages. Jeff

SA3106SO.pdf
That is the old mod works STC, there is also SA2445CE owned by Meier's Modifications.

1 hour ago, khedrei said:

Forgive the newbie question but whats the deal with these STCs. If I possess these pieces of paper and I can find a shop willing, then I can put an MB engine in my 231? I know the STC costs money but whats to stop someone from buying the STC paperwork and then selling it for a discount to others or even giving it away for free?

Outside of some avionics , STCs are issued by Hull # ... Thats the way it works...  The piece of paper means nothing , The permission letter is the real deal

• Like 2

Consider it aviation’s version of a copyright...

Somebody did the labor to design, build, test, and document the results....

FAA issues the STC to allow the writer of this doc the ability to earn his money for the honest work he did...

Coy was an artist(?) for generating such documents...

Where the Art was often cut and paste of existing Mooney set-ups being applied backwards to older airframes...

The FAA was fully in charge of whether they would allow another STC of a similar type... keeping some other company from doing the same thing...

A strange anti competitive situation... but a normal part of capitalism...

PP thoughts only, not a copyright expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, CharlesHuddleston said:

I would LOVE to do it! My -LB already has an intercooler. Couldn't we just remove it, and hang an -MB, then , like MikeA said, do a 337 or get a field approval?

From Wikipedia:

TSIO-360-MB
210 hp (157 kW) at 36" mp and 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 7.50:1. Same as the TSIO-360-LB except for intercooler, wastegate controller, maximum manifold pressure, and cluster manifold.[5]

What  I would really love to do would be to put a PBS TP100 on the front. Now we're really talking!

There are some other differences between an LB and an MB.  The MB included garrett turbo (more efficient)  instead of the rayjay, different throttle and the spider tuned intake manifold (same as a cluster manifold?) in addition to what is mentioned on Wiki.  The improvement in the turbo and the addition of the intercooler produced similar power at 5-6 less in Hg manifold pressure along with a significant reduction in head temperatures.  If I could find the parts I'd upgrade my LB over the winter. 

• Like 1