TSIO-360-MB1 for sale

Dear all,

As some of you already know and was already mentioned on some of my previous posts on this forum, I still have a good Continental TSIO-360-MB1 for sale that was installed in my Mooney 252 for a few hours before being stored following a court claim (not related with the engine).

The engine is now at this engine shop being properly stored and inhibited.

https://www.facebook.com/Esefly.aircraft

On this Facebook page you can find some photos of the engine, and I have much more, together will a full documented history of the engine.

But this engine will eventually be dismantled if no buyers are found, and sold as parts for other TSIO-360 engines.

I personally think its a shame dismantling an engine as new as this one (although being from 1999, the engine is in proper storage since 2004 and flew 7 hours...).

The price being asked is low enough that a 231 upgrade is attractive for prospective buyers.

A full overhaul or a documented shock load at this certified engine shop can also be agreed with them.

Kind regards to all.

Goncalo Areia

Lisbon, Portugal

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
6 hours ago, Carsten Gott said:

Hello,

on the internet I found a post by you, offering a TSIO 360 MB or MB1 engine. I am very interested. Please get in touch with me under +491708677555 or by email to

Docgott@Phoenix-Immo.de

Thank you

C. Gott

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 7.15.49 PM.png

On 3/31/2015 at 4:01 PM, goncaloareia said:

The price being asked is low enough that a 231 upgrade is attractive for prospective buyers.

Obviously I'm late to the party but can an MB be installed in a 231 in place of an LB? I didnt think there were any other options for 231 drivers aside from a new or reman GB or LB. Rocket conversions are no longer offered correct?

1 hour ago, khedrei said:

Obviously I'm late to the party but can an MB be installed in a 231 in place of an LB? I didnt think there were any other options for 231 drivers aside from a new or reman GB or LB. Rocket conversions are no longer offered correct?

There were a couple of STC's back in the day to use an MB engine (a 262 conversion being one of them), but those have fallen by the wayside.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know Coy's kin well enough that they could see about purchasing it from the estate?  If they aren't going to perform it, its a worthless piece of paper to them (right?), and may be obtainable for a reasonable sum.  I'd be interested in getting a group together (under an LLC or something) and purchasing it then offering it out for sale on the market(do your own installation) to help recoup some investment.  After putting it on my 231 of course.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, N231BN said:

I would love to be able to perform these conversions. However, it would be very cost-prohibitive to build and PMA the parts required that Coy and others were able to just get from the factory.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the STC process. 

Im really not interested in the full “262” upgrade that he did. I just want the ability to hang a TSIO-360-MB on the nose and take advantage of the benefits of upgrades to the current TSIO-360-LB engine. [Side note: it blows my mind that even though they are the same basic engine on the same airframe I can’t do this to start with or with minimal effort] What does modifying a STC look like?  Could we use the info from his STC to validate a new one for just the engine?

Also could upgrading to the -MB be completed via a 337 if I found willing participants?  

Technically, the 252 has a different engine mount, air filter box, cowling, and baffles. You could probably modify your cowling to fit the new airbox but you would have to increase the exit area to account for the airflow through the intercooler. The baffles should be easy enough to make if you could find a set to copy.

I would LOVE to do it! My -LB already has an intercooler. Couldn't we just remove it, and hang an -MB, then , like MikeA said, do a 337 or get a field approval?

From Wikipedia:

TSIO-360-MB
210 hp (157 kW) at 36" mp and 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 100 or 100LL avgas, compression ratio 7.50:1. Same as the TSIO-360-LB except for intercooler, wastegate controller, maximum manifold pressure, and cluster manifold.[5]

What  I would really love to do would be to put a PBS TP100 on the front. Now we're really talking!

I can add an intercooler now without modifications to the exit area.

The 252 cowling, minus the cowl flaps, is not shaped that differently (if at all. I just tried to compare via photos on Controller) and I would be willing to bet it would fit the MB as is or with a field mod. 

The STC process has a legal aspect to it...

Similar to a patent or trade mark...

It protects the STC owner from having his work easily copied...

When Coy left aviation... his STCs seem to be put somewhere untouched.... as if he didn’t want them to be out...

There may be a time limit for STCs to go dormant, and then become part of the public domain...

Kind of a legal challenge more than anything else...

On the other hand... copying something the factory built... for all the variations of the M20K, seems to be a much simpler process....

PP thoughts only not a legal Eagle...

Best regards,

-a-

The engine will fit under the 231 cowling, you would just have to modify it to accept the 252 air filter box. The reason for the change here is the cowl inlets aren't large enough to supply induction, intercooler, and cylinder cooling air. The -MB has the intercooler in the right rear baffle above the starter, and moved the induction air inlet to the side of the cowl. You would need to cover up the large notch in the front right baffle where the 231 air box was.

This could all be done. However, the FAA will generally not issue a field approval for an alteration that already has an STC.

10 minutes ago, Falcon Man said:

My Mooney 262 is now a parts orphan. Just found out my engine shop cannot find starter adapter for my TCM TSIO360MB4B. If anyone knows of such an engine that is being used for parts or knows where I can find parts please let me know.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff that doesn’t sound right...

There would be dozens of MSers getting louder and louder...

You might be the first...

Let’s see if @M20Doc has insight on your starter adapter challenge...  and if a new adapter/starter fixes anything...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The lightweight starter broke the drive gear/shaft in flight and some pieces chewed up two sump gears is my understanding. Niagra can't get parts. Kelly Aerospace sold out to Boeing and Spruce is their distributer. Spruce lists a new drive for $13K and a OH unit for $7.5K but none are available. No other version of the TSIO360MB engine parts will work. Not sure yet why TCM said no bueno.

Jeff