Continental low oil pressure

DonMuncy

JS,

There is a conversation going on that may interest you..?

It is regarding oil and start-up to T/O wait.

It has some interesting things in it from some knowledgable people that have given some knowledgable references....

you may find that your OilT really cuts the oil's viscosity.  The engine RPM really cuts the gear pump oil output.  The combination of warm oil and low pump rpm also has higher back leakage internal to the pump.  Pressure builds with higher flow or increased restriction to flow.  Since the restriction doesn't change, the pressure doesn't stay in the green...

Your oil T and P are remaining in the green in flight and yellow ranges under low power on the ground on the gauges?  Acceptable from how I understand the gauges....(?)

make sure the oil level is where it should be.

PP ideas, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, Jsavage3 said:

Does my bird have a problem? I had my oil press relief valve spring & plunger replaced as well as tried adjusting (increasing pressure) the oil pressure itself...all with no change. I'm still seeing about 40 psi in cruise flight and well down into the yellow (estimate 10 psi) after landing and taxiing in with 800 to 1000 RPM. The oil pressure responds immediately to an increase in power with the throttle. Side note...the oil was changed and the filter was clean.

Now what? Any ideas? Live with it as in that's normal for a 252?

Informational...1175 TSN, 375 SMOH and no engine monitor so my indications for from a peanut gauge...

I'm thinking check the gauge for accuracy. Thoughts?

Install an engine monitor...I know, it's on my list...

Your input is appreciated. 

Before doing anything you should confirm the ships gauge against a known test gauge.  Continentals general run lower oil pressure than Lycoming engines.  Hot idle on a Continental can be quite low, oil type and viscosity can effect the reading.

Clarence

• 2 years later...

My 1984 231 has similar problems as mentioned above in these threads.  I purchased new spring, plunger and gasket but there is also pitting in the seat of the valve.  Does anyone have information on how to lap the seat of the valve?  Is there a special tool available?  Would appreciate any help and I will gladly follow through with results from our exercises at this end.