Door Seals

podair

Cliffy, I saved this reply for you...

The vasoline thing works on Corvettes, sort of...  Silicone grease has been used as well...

The side effects are the amount of dirt that gets collected...  and whose clothing gets stained when touching the dirty grease...

just never hit the post button. :)

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Cliffy, I saved this reply for you...

The vasoline thing works on Corvettes, sort of...  Silicone grease has been used as well...

The side effects are the amount of dirt that gets collected...  and whose clothing gets stained when touching the dirty grease...

just never hit the post button. :)

Best regards,

-a-

The newest best stuff for hardtop converibles (they have a lot of rubber) is a thick liquid containing DuPont Krytox. eBay is a good source. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GEE-BEE said:

You cant compare rubber foam to silicone foam.. ( Boeing spec )

The clear silicone cement in  2 Oz is worth 47.50 alone

Price depends on qty / group buy

The key is the design / duro/ fitment

We stock peerco 321 adhesive remover ,its also Boeing spec

35.00 for 16 oz

LATE CABIN - 1.png

Would this be better than the inflatable ones?

15 minutes ago, GEE-BEE said:

So, for planning purposes I'll assume somewhere between $200-$2,000?  

I'm doing my Interior in the next 6 months.  When do you think your seal will be available for purchase?

I’m not a fan of the Aircraft Door Seals products. I have installed them 3 times on the cabin door. Each time they began to crack after 8-9 months and had cracks all over at 2 years. At that point they had to be replaced.

Aircraft Door Seals replaced the first seal at no cost and asked I pat half price when the second one failed.  I thought that was fair.  But, with all the labor involved I’m looking for something that lasts more than 2 years.

I found out that Brown Aircraft Supply provides the cabin seals to Mooney.  Part number is T-11001. I’m going to buy their product when I change the seal the next time, which will probably be this spring.

1 hour ago, GEE-BEE said:

Andy, I will be happy to send you the first article to install in a few weeks for your fitment feed back

Iam sure we can get the cost down if we have a group buy of 25 or more assys

GB

I really like the design of the seal itself, and it looks like it should seal nicely without having to be "mashed" into place with brute force.  

Will send a PM.

13 hours ago, GEE-BEE said:

I paid for the tooling/ mandrel 

i will extrude 25 ft of first article for fitment

its based on the teardrop 912018-001

its a solid, softest Boeing spec 

stay tuned , I will send two assys out for fitment 

GB 

GB, you might want to touch base with Bruce Jaeger. He has the spatial interior STC and is doing a number of them. This would be an excellent add on for his package.

bruce AT Jaegeraviation.com

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

GB, you might want to touch base with Bruce Jaeger. He has the spatial interior STC and is doing a number of them. This would be an excellent add on for his package.

bruce AT Jaegeraviation.com

Yep, Bruce doesn't have a solution but recommends Aircraft Doorseal. I went the Jose CB route after my Field's died and they wouldn't answer my phone calls about buying a new one.

Would you recommend the Fields?  If they answered your phone calls, of course?

The Fields was installed in my plane in 1988 until it decided RTV life support wasn’t going to work anymore.

The seal works great for almost completely eliminating air leaks around the door. The only thing you need to watch out for is making sure there is a little air in it when leaving the plane on the ramp exposed to rain. Or if you are washing your plane. The manual bulb system makes it easy to put a couple of pumps into the seal and close it. But I found the best way was to place a bead of silicone on the door frame for the Field’s seal to close against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, GEE-BEE said:

The clear silicone cement in  2 Oz is worth 47.50 alone

Price depends on qty / group buy

The key is the design / duro/ fitment

We stock peerco 321 adhesive remover ,its also Boeing spec

35.00 for 16 oz

LATE CABIN - 1.png

Would this be better than the inflatable ones?

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

The Fields was installed in my plane in 1988 until it decided RTV life support wasn’t going to work anymore.

The seal works great for almost completely eliminating air leaks around the door. The only thing you need to watch out for is making sure there is a little air in it when leaving the plane on the ramp exposed to rain. Or if you are washing your plane. The manual bulb system makes it easy to put a couple of pumps into the seal and close it. But I found the best way was to place a bead of silicone on the door frame for the Field’s seal to close against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Fields door seal while not great is superior to the others mentioned, I've changed quite a few in an effort to quiet my Bravo, as Chris mentioned the don't answer the phone, after numerous calls I emailed them many times then all of a sudden I received the seal, it took 4-5 months to get through to them. It's be great to have an inflatable silicon seal.

• 1 month later...

I am happy with the OEM solution.... with the Mooney seal from lasar or your favorite MSC. Have done both door and baggage seals and they're holding up great.

One word about the job: the most difficult part of the job, to get a good result, is the elbow grease to clean the old seal glue off before you put the new one on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/27/2018 at 1:50 PM, GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS said:

Iam working on the die mfg now on a solid or hollow version

The spec will be a Boeing foam extusion , very soft

GB

Resurrection...

Is this a finished product yet? Anyone have feedback from an install of this product?

Thanks!