Door Seals

podair

Patrick:  If you're going to get the seals from AircraftDoorseals, I'd highly recommend getting the model that mounts on the door.  The ones that mount on the frame work well, but they just dont hold up to traffic entering and exiting the plane, no matter how careful the pilot/passengers seem to be.  I had one of the frame seals on my plane for a about a year.  After patching it 3 or 4 times, I just ripped it off and installed a door seal.

• 2 months later...

I use the 1" x 3/8"" foam weatherstrip from Home Depot and it works very well for baggage and cabin door. Easy to replace and inexpensive. You can also use marine grade seal at West Marine stores. It works better and last longer than the aviation type and it is much cheaper.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone that has actually performed the "Aircraft Door Seals" seal replacement procedure on their Mooney door?  I spoke with them at Oshkosh and looked at the actual Mooney seal material.  it looks very good to me.  They offered a few tips, but always looking for actual experience from someone.

Thank you in advance.

Had the Aircraft Door Seals ones installed on my M20F a few monhs ago. No complaints from mechanic, so I guess the installation was pretty straightforward. I got the ones that go on the door, not the frame , and the ones for the baggage door. No complaints from the back seat passengers either, used to be quite drafty there. The cabin seems quieter too. All in, a worthwhile purchase and hassle free.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Quote: hansel

I did this replacement on my '79 J earlier this year.

http://www.aircraftdoorseals.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_51&products_id=305

Just take your time, use the recommended adhesive (also sold by aircraftdoorseals) and it should turn out fine. Removing the old seal was probably the most annoying part. It will also help if you use some spring clamps (Home Depot) to hold the seal while the adhesive cures as you work your way around the door. When you've finished the door will seem very tight and difficult to close, but with time it will form into a perfect fit. I give it an 8/10 on the rewarding do-it-yourself scale.

Don't know that this needs to be said, probably everyone knows, but there are two things being discussed in this thread, the door seal and the windlace.  The door seal is a (generally) black rubber strip.  The windlace is more decorative, usually is the color of the interior, and is made of vinyl or leather or a number of other finished type materials.  The primary defense against noise, water, and air is the door seal.  The windlace does quiet things a little, but you are not going to be able to make a water tight seal with just the windlace.  It is the windlace that gets banged up by people going in and out the door, if the seal itself goes it is usually age and wear from opening and closing the door, but I haven't noticed that passenger traffic has much effect on the seal. 

The seal goes on the door if I recall correctly (now I'll have to go look at the plane), and the windlace goes on the frame.

I don't have the inflatable seal so don't know the product, but from the pictures I have seen, that replaces the seal, not the windlace, so would not be subject to passenger traffic, just wear from the door opening and closing.

I rode in an M20E that had the inflatable door seal. I couldn't tell the difference between it and a regular seal. I would skip it. It also has the problem of the hand bulb you use to inflate it and it's curly hose takes up space in an already well occupied cockpit with no particular place to put it.

• 7 years later...

I'm bumping this thread all the way from 2010 to see if anyone has any further input.

Aircraftdoorseals.com?  

Bob Fields inflatable?  (I had one of these on my Aztec and it was really super.)

The Home Depot solution that is least expensive?

14 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I'm bumping this thread all the way from 2010 to see if anyone has any further input.

Aircraftdoorseals.com?  

Bob Fields inflatable?  (I had one of these on my Aztec and it was really super.)

The Home Depot solution that is least expensive?

I have the one from Aircraftdoorseals.com, if you are really really carefull you can make it 6 months before it gets torn somewhere. Seems to seal alright just fragile to the touch. Easy to repair with material found at one of the big box stores

I had an occasion a while back where my door seal tore and it was puling a LOT of air out of the cabin (say "its cold in here"). I was leaving on a trip the next day so, out of desperation,  I just removed the old seal and did the "Piloto" thing and went to the PMA isle at HD and found some "red-brown" D shaped weather strip a little more than a 1/4 in diameter and carefully put it on with its own adhesive backing right in the corner of the door and flange. Frankly it  has worked so well I just haven't gotten around to ordering the factory style one yet. I just keep forgetting to do it. Out of mind, out of sight? Wife likes no more cold air coming from the back at altitude. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

I had an occasion a while back where my door seal tore and it was puling a LOT of air out of the cabin (say "its cold in here"). I was leaving on a trip the next day so, out of desperation,  I just removed the old seal and did the "Piloto" thing and went to the PMA isle at HD and found some "red-brown" D shaped weather strip a little more than a 1/4 in diameter and carefully put it on with its own adhesive backing right in the corner of the door and flange. Frankly it  has worked so well I just haven't gotten around to ordering the factory style one yet. I just keep forgetting to do it. Out of mind, out of sight? Wife likes no more cold air coming from the back at altitude. 

Do you have a photo of that installed?

I was just thinking of this the other day, thanks for resurrecting. My mechanic has a roll of generic aircraft door seal.  I am not going to the airport till it gets up freezing so I don't know if his profile same as what is installed.  Certainly would be cheaper.