Airbus down in the Alps

It certainly seems to be a mystery.  For the professionals out there,  how automated is the plane.  If there was a loss of compression, would the A320 descend on it's own and set a squawk code?  Probably not?   Seems more likely that there was a loss of power, as the speed didn't change much on the way down and that is what the plane was trimmed for.   Why wouldn't they trim for best glide, unless best glide is 450kts at 38,000 feet?   Very odd that no audio is available?

The timing of this is accident is troubling. I'm in Barcelona, flying in from Germany yesterday on Lufthansa. There was a Lufthansa pilot's strike late last week through Saturday (their 10th since April). Although the primary focus of the strike was retirement plan changes, there was also some concerns over the expansion of their long haul routes by partners including Eurowing and Germanwing.

Hopefully an identifiable accident and not something else...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone want to pick me up. Suspect you may need long range tanks. 3262aad03eee92ec41d3da1549ac9992.jpg

BTW - interesting to see I am getting weather information in Europe. b93ebfb752cac1765a369e31f0f2ade0.jpg

Have a safe flight home Chris.

Have a safe flight home Chris.

Thanks Pete. I spoke to my wife last night. She knew I was headed there but wasn't sure of my schedule and said her heart leapt when she heard the news of the crash.

I asked her was the "leaping" because she thought she could now retire and start dating a Pilatus owner. :)

• Like 5

There have been multiple uncomanded pitch down incidents with different Airbus aircraft. They mention software design limitation in the flight control primary computer (FCPC.)

"...and a failure mode affecting one of the aircraft's three air data inertial reference units (ADIRUs). The design limitation meant that, in a very rare and specific situation, multiple spikes in angle of attack (AOA) data from one of the ADIRUs could result in the FCPCs commanding the aircraft to pitch down."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_72

http://www.aeroinside.com/item/4946/lufthansa-a321-near-bilbao-on-nov-5th-2014-loss-of-4000-feet-of-altitude

This could be another one.

According to CNN:

One of the pilots on Germanwings Flight 9525 was locked out of the cockpit when the plane crashed Tuesday, a senior military official told The New York Times, citing evidence from the cockpit voice recorder.

I wonder if the pilot locked himself in the cockpit as a suicide attack? Looking forward to the release of pilots names.

Neither Dave nor I. let's put Timmy back in his box, please.

What are the rules for pilot leaving flight deck in EU? What is cockpit re-entry protocol?

If the pilot was incapacitated, how was directional control maintained, how did climb level off, why did descent begin at less than loss-of-control rate then stop before hitting the (higher) mountain at apparent cruise speed?