WX500 System Complete $2950 shipped

I have a really nice WX500 system for sale, like new antenna, high serial number processor with 430TT and no errors in the error log.  New antenna gasket, antenna cable and connectors. Installation and operating manual.  This is a great way to add a stormscope to a GTN650/750, GNS430/530 or Sandel HSI.  Other MFD's too.

Don  supercub180@gmail.com

• Like 1

From what I can read in the WX500 install manual, there are several options for heading input, including serial, synchro and stepper.  If 'stepper' is used the GTN650 will not display WX data on the map page but on the WX page.

The WX500 manual also says that a direct heading input is preferred, because the serial heading from MFD is slower and less accurate.  In the days of older GPS's or MFD's, I think this is valid.  But with more modern GPS's like the GTN, the track calculation is so quick that it would not lag the actual heading.

The WX500 can use either Hdg or Track from a MFD or GPS.  I have used a Sandel SN3308 to control a WX500, and it clearly has heading.  I assume it is sending Hdg to the WX500, but cannot be 100% sure that its not sending track.  You've got me thinking.  Practically it makes no difference as long as it works.

The WX500 will work with a MFD with only track.

So I think its more a question for your GTN650 installer to put to Garmin, whether the GTN650 will send track in the air data to the WX500.  It looks like it might not in the following Note in the GTN650 install manual:

>>Heading is not required by the GTN; however, to take full advantage of the GTN unit capabilities, an optional heading source is recommended to provided autopilot roll steering on ARINC 424 heading legs, to display TAS traffic and WX-500 Stormscope data on the moving map, and to calculate winds if airspeed is also available. 

1. FOR WX-500 DATA TO BE DISPLAYED ON THE GTN 6XX/7XX MAP PAGE THE GTN 6XX/7XX MUST HAVE A DIGITAL HEADING SOURCE, OR THE WX-500 MUST HAVE A SYNCHRO OR SERIAL HEADING SOURCE. A STEPPER HEADING SOURCE WILL NOT ALLOW WX-500 DATA TO BE DISPLAYED ON THE MAP PAGE. 

So, bottom line is I'm not sure.  It will still display on the Wx page, but maybe not the map page.   

• 2 years later...
  • Aerodon changed the title to WX500 System Complete $2950 shipped

I accumulated the parts for another complete system.  Yes I know you will see systems for less, but take into account it costs a lot to replace missing parts, and even more to repair.  Contact supercub180@gmail.com when you are ready.  Aerodon