Who made this intercooler

chrisk

It looks like my Turboplus, but I wouldn't bank on it as the other model, cant remember the name, may look the same.  Ithink its a turboplus as it has the cooling rad facing the side were the cowling has been cut it, I didn't think the other model had the cowling mode.

That is what I was thinking.   It looks like it is in the right spot for a TurboPlus intercooler.  But it is a pretty  ugly looking intercooler, and the ones on TurboPlus' website look much nicer.   

In any case, I am on the hunt for an Airflow systems intercooler.   Mostly because it seems like a lot of work (and cost) to add the TurboPlus intercooler.   I can easily see spending $5K to get a TurboPlus intercooler installed. All kinds of things need to be modified:  the cowling, the cowl flaps, some paint, the heater control, and a new elbow for the waste gate.  --I'll ask Don Maxwell for his opinion when I take my plane in for its annual next week.

I don't think it is a Turbo Plus.  It is not designed quite the same.  What does the 337 say?

Don't bank on finding an Airflow Systems Intercooler.  They stopped production at least 4 years ago.  There have been numerous teasers to the 231 Community that they would start production gain if they had some orders ... but they never moved off the mark.

The Turbo Plus is not that hard to install.  My AP and I did it in a little more than a day.  The heater box mod is very simple.  Everything else is very straightforward.  Yes, you'll have to paint the lower cowl and touch up the cowl flaps.  If you don't have a fancy paint job, it shouldn't stop you. 

I don't know anyone with an Airflow Systems Intercooler so I can't compare performance but, I would think the NACA duct in the Turbo Plus installation will deliver more cooling air than the blast tube design that Airflow uses.  At cruise altitudes I frequently see over a 100 degree drop between CDT and IAT.

I got a new radiator for my Yamaha RD 350 Motorcycle made by a company that was doing similar things in China It was a THIRD of the price of the same thing from Europe...

There's heaps of low price car intercoolers on the market and it really gets me how the aviation community gets stung by manufacturers for the essential same product. I

to me it just looks like a rectangular intercooler with custom fabricated ends on it!

I'm not trying to make it sound like a bargain, but the TurboPlus kit comes with the intercooler, induction plumbing, some gauges, and a duct for the side of your cowling.    You are also getting some assurance that flight testing was done and that something horrible will not happen by installing it.

Unfortunately it's an estimated 30 hours of install time, plus paint work.

You are not paying for the parts. You are paying for all the engineering that has to be done to FAA standards, the work done to get it through certification. the FAA manufacturing quality system that has to be in place to make the thing. All that cost is spread over a few hundred parts.

I would say it is a wonder it is so cheap!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 7:00 AM, chrisk said:

That is what I was thinking.   It looks like it is in the right spot for a TurboPlus intercooler.  But it is a pretty  ugly looking intercooler, and the ones on TurboPlus' website look much nicer.   

In any case, I am on the hunt for an Airflow systems intercooler.   Mostly because it seems like a lot of work (and cost) to add the TurboPlus intercooler.   I can easily see spending $5K to get a TurboPlus intercooler installed. All kinds of things need to be modified:  the cowling, the cowl flaps, some paint, the heater control, and a new elbow for the waste gate.  --I'll ask Don Maxwell for his opinion when I take my plane in for its annual next 

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 2:49 PM, chrisk said:

I'm not trying to make it sound like a bargain, but the TurboPlus kit comes with the intercooler, induction plumbing, some gauges, and a duct for the side of your cowling.    You are also getting some assurance that flight testing was done and that something horrible will not happen by installing it.

Unfortunately it's an estimated 30 hours of install time, plus paint work. 

And it now comes with a 5 year warranty and 24/7 live customer service phone line.

20170923_124129.jpg

Edited by Jeff Shapiro

On 3/23/2015 at 7:00 AM, chrisk said:

In any case, I am on the hunt for an Airflow systems intercooler.   Mostly because it seems like a lot of work (and cost) to add the TurboPlus intercooler.   I can easily see spending $5K to get a TurboPlus intercooler installed. All kinds of things need to be modified:  the cowling, the cowl flaps, some paint, the heater control, and a new elbow for the waste gate.  --I'll ask Don Maxwell for his opinion when I take my plane in for its annual next week.

That is not a Turboplus intercooler. View the quality craftsmanship that goes into all Turboplus components at

Www.Turboplus.com

20170923_120012.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeff Shapiro said:

20170526_092608.jpg

I'd love to have one of these.  But I'm not sure I am ready to take the hit for the install and purchase just yet.  --Maybe it is just me, but I want things done properly on my plane.   I've found to many mechanics that do sloppy work.   I'll have to consider it when my plane goes back to Maxwell's. 

Where are you located?  My AP at KSUT has done several including mine. Quality of workmanship is excellent. Installation will take about a day and a half not 30 hours.  If you have a simple paint scheme he may be able to take care of that too.

PM me if you want any additional info. 

Yes, the Airflow Systems would be a more simple install but they are no longer manufactured and you can not monitor effectively. 

• 4 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:13 PM, CaptRJM said:

Where are you located?  My AP at KSUT has done several including mine. Quality of workmanship is excellent. Installation will take about a day and a half not 30 hours.  If you have a simple paint scheme he may be able to take care of that too.

PM me if you want any additional info. 

Yes, the Airflow Systems would be a more simple install but they are no longer manufactured and you can not monitor effectively. 

The Turboplus intercooler gives you temperature readings throughout your entire flight with a kit supplied Davtron differential gauge mounted on the panel.  Advantage with the Turboplus system is that you have options; Fly Cool,  Fly Fast,  Save Gas. all because you can set your MP as you choose; because you can see your cooling benefits and fly as you desire.

Our Temperature Gauge;   

Fly Cool - Fly Fast - Save Gas 

IN (up position) Turbo to Intercooler inlet

OUT (down position) Intercooler out to engine

CENTER POSITION  (Differential Temperature Display)

The Airflow intercooler cooling temperatures cannot be visually verified in flight.   You fly how they tell you to fly...

Davtron IC Gauge.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They never supplied a gauge with their intercooler kit.  They gave you corrected settings on how to fly with their intercooler. And we know, not all engines perform the same. TURBOPLUS Intercooler kits come with the differential gauge so you know exactly where your corrected MP should be set.

Edited by Jeff Shapiro
  • Like 1