Acclaim + 310hp = WOW!

FINALLY flew my Acclaim for the first time after getting the 310hp STC installed last December. All I can say is... WOW! I didn't do any formal testing or timing or measurements, but it definitely pinned me back in my seat more than usual on the takeoff roll, which was noticeably shorter. The climbout was breathtaking. With me, half tanks and 7,100' DA I was leaving the pattern at 2000fpm, and that was 15-20 knots over Vy just so I could see over the nose while in the class D. Once I got out over the prairie I was seeing 2,250fpm at Vy up to about 9,000', then it gradually decreased to "only" 1,800fpm at 13,000'.

Too bad Denver Centennial is pinned beneath the Denver Class B. It would be so awesome to be able to climb unrestricted to the flight levels when I head west. I'll have to go make some friends at Denver Approach.  :D

• Like 6

Too bad Denver Centennial is pinned beneath the Denver Class B. It would be so awesome to be able to climb unrestricted to the flight levels when I head west. I'll have to go make some friends at Denver Approach.  :D

Sounds like you need to give some controllers a ride, and then they'll really see the urgency of getting cleared quickly!

• Like 1

Wow awesome....so the acclaim runs 2700rpm stock right? Or is it 2600rpm? Regardless how are they getting the extra ponies and take a pic of true airspeed to share next time you take it upto fl 240 and put the peddle to the metal...it would have to run 250kts?

We did the same mod to an Acclaim and an Ovation both owners love the improvement. Now if we could just squeeze in an IO720!

Clarence

That would be quite a Mooney.  I have read about a guy who turbo charged his IO720 Commanche and claimed 260TAS at something like 24,000.

I would guess a similar engine setup in an acclaim-slick plane would give 270.  You could pass a turbo prop piper with that.

Is max cruise even faster than stock?

Maybe a little (5-7 knots), but the primary purpose of the mod is to reduce takeoff roll and increase climb rate.

Wow awesome....so the acclaim runs 2700rpm stock right? Or is it 2600rpm? Regardless how are they getting the extra ponies and take a pic of true airspeed to share next time you take it upto fl 240 and put the peddle to the metal...it would have to run 250kts?

Stock Acclaim redlines at 2,500rpm. The mod replaces the propeller governor and bumps the redline to 2,700rpm. 2,700rpm at cruise is awfully noisy, so I dial it back to 2,400 or 2,500rpm... same as I've always done... so I should get my usual numbers in cruise. However, I'll try it once going all out to see if there's much of a difference.

Roberto Tohme posted detailed before and after performance figures a few years ago here on MooneySpace but I can't find them at the moment. His findings supported the premise that the mod is primarily for takeoff and climb performance, not increased cruise speed.

• Like 2

That would take a commitment...

The Hardware and installation would run near $100k...

Engine, prop, exhaust, pair of snails replete with exhaust and inter-coolers, a newl cowl, and a new set of instruments. A couple of STCs to cover the 310hp and TopProp.

Then you would need the extra STC, for the turbo installation installed on the R.

The S and R may be the same airframe, but their paperwork makes them "different".

These are the kind of questions you ask when you are doing a complete firewall forward project...

Now, If that last STC was available...

Best regards,

-a-

Wonder if someone will come up with an STC to TN an Ovation? Seems possible since it's the same engine and airframe. I wouldn't mind some of that performance! Very impressive.

I heard rumor at some point that the good folks at Tornado Alley who made the Bonanza TN system had/have been considering the concept of turbo normalizing the Ovation since it is the ideal engine comparable to their home-run successful Bonanza systems.  I don't know if they actually will.  It would be at least the match for the Acclaim.

So pardon my ignorance on this, but how would that differ from the Acclaim as it already is? Is that something other than turbo-normalized?  I always thought that's what the "TN" stood for in the model designation.

So pardon my ignorance on this, but how would that differ from the Acclaim as it already is? Is that something other than turbo-normalized?  I always thought that's what the "TN" stood for in the model designation.

Higher compression pistons. Acclaim is actually turbo charged, not TNed. About 1.5gph difference at lower power settings. That's about it. Also, if Tornado Alley actually built it, it would be much higher quality setup than anything from continental. Their Cirrus setup is a work of art compared to the Continental TSIO powered Cirrus. Everything is just better thought out. Little things, like hoses, heat shields, etc, etc, etc...

• Like 4

Not much but it would prevent you from having to sell and purchase a new plane. Taxes, de-squawking and loss of upgrades make that appealing to me. Plus my useful load would be greater. Like I mentioned Screaming eagle is perfect for me but the performance of the TN and the ability to run LOP is appealing.

Higher compression pistons. Acclaim is actually turbo charged, not TNed. About 1.5gph difference at lower power settings. That's about it. Also, if Tornado Alley actually built it, it would be much higher quality setup than anything from continental. Their Cirrus setup is a work of art compared to the Continental TSIO powered Cirrus. Everything is just better thought out. Little things, like hoses, heat shields, etc, etc, etc...

That's it.

That Tornado Alley setup is reputed to be fantastic in all aspects.  If it existed, I think the Tornado Alley Ovation 550TN would be more desirable than an Acclaim.

• Like 1

So, sorry to hijack this thread, but for some reason I didn't see Andy's original post because the system said I had chosen to ignore posts from him. No offense, man...I don't remember ever choosing to ignore anybody, and yet I can't figure out how to turn that setting off anywhere.  Anybody help with this?

So, sorry to hijack this thread, but for some reason I didn't see Andy's original post because the system said I had chosen to ignore posts from him. No offense, man...I don't remember ever choosing to ignore anybody, and yet I can't figure out how to turn that setting off anywhere.  Anybody help with this?

Maybe had something to do with the "Little Timmy" thread aka where we were all "a..holes" to one another (not you specifically, just the general atmosphere). I'm actually quite civil everywhere else and in real life ;-)

They have the Acliam as a 550G, I didn't know the it had lower compression pistons. Good to know.

Yes, TSIO-550-G is  7.5 engine vs 8.5 for the natural aspirated and/or TNed IO-550. The A36/G36 when turbo normalized become quite spectacular aircraft, just as fast as the Bravo on quite a bit less fuel. Plus they are load haulers. 1600b useful is not unheard off on the older ones and 1200 seems the norm on the newer ones. One the other hand, a great Bravo can be had for under $200K, a TA 36 will run closers to $400K. If I had to move children around (which I just found out, I will be in the near future), I'd move to a A36 if I didn't move to a turbine.