Foreflight on Iwatch

Houman

Ok, I dropped my Citizen Eco-drive wrist watch a week ago and it has stopped working and the glass is shattered, so I was thinking of replacing it if it is not repairable ( it was a gift from my parents almost from 10 years ago, so has sentimental value ), anyhow, I have been looking at Citizen pilot watches and other brands.

I know it is a bit crazy, but with today's Apple Iwatch introduction, it got me thinking, can we get some piloting app on it, might be worth trying it... wondering how usuefull would it be ?...

ForeFlight and WingX should have interesting responses to this question.

I think a vibrating alarm on the wrist would be interesting...

Will it take a year or iwatch2?

Best regards,

-a-

The Garmin D2 ( direct to ) has all kind of alerts and alarms. It vibrates so it is hard to miss. Timers, altitude alarms, position alarms.

• Like 1

Ok, I dropped my Citizen Eco-drive wrist watch a week ago and it has stopped working and the glass is shattered, so I was thinking of replacing it if it is not repairable ( it was a gift from my parents almost from 10 years ago, so has sentimental value ), anyhow, I have been looking at Citizen pilot watches and other brands.

I know it is a bit crazy, but with today's Apple Iwatch introduction, it got me thinking, can we get some piloting app on it, might be worth trying it... wondering how usuefull would it be ?...

Well, if you are going to get one, you might as well get the $10,000 gold version! 

• Like 1

Stick to the Citizens Eco-Drive. I have the Blue Angels model for eleven years and never needed to replace the battery. Very reliable and accurate, it gains 11 seconds per year. A wrist watch is an important device in our daily life and you rely on it for most events. Two times when I was abroad the batteries failed on me on previous watches. You could miss your appointments, dates or flights if your watch fails. I fail to see where a smart watch would be better than a smart phone or even a winding watch. The screen is just too small for anything practical. You would need magnifying glasses and the battery last less than a day. Your daily routine will be around on where you can find an outlet to charge it and carrying the charger with you. Not to mention the different AC plugs for different countries.

José

Bob,

Does the Garmin watch integrate with the Garmin app?

They have a nice integration between iPad app and GTN... (So I've heard ...)

Best regards,

-a-

Yes. You can send the flight plan from the Pilot app to the watch ( wirelessly by bluetooth) and literally use it to navigate to the destination in case of emergency ( watch display size limitation of course) .

Also I just dropped my plane today at the avionics shop to get the GTN 750, GDL 88, new audio panel and FlightStream 210 that allows direct communication (flight plan upload) between iPad Garmin Pilot app and GTN750.

• Like 2

I love watches. Always have. Wish I could read the 2 point type that the aviation watches have on their face.

I spent $200 on a pebble steel and love it. Ties into WingX, but what I love the most is that you can get many watch faces, including some that constantly display local and utc. Absolutely impressed, and they just released a new model. I used to rotate among my watches. Have not worn anything other than my pebble since I bought it.

• Like 1

First I'll admit to being a full on Apple fan boy. I use a Macbook Pro, iPad Mini, and iPhone 6. I also like watches and have slowly acquired over the years a few including a Rolex, IWC, U-Boat, Omega and Citizen ecodrive. I have no interest in the Apple watch. I would like a Bell&Ross however.

I love my TAG, Breitiling and Rolex. The only one that's keeps the correct time is my TAG because it's the only one with batteries. All the others are alway a few minutes off. Very frustrating Troy

I don't get the iwatch - you still need to carry an iphone to use it. 

And its BIG and bulky, too small to really use, and as a watch it stinks since you need to charge it every day - every 18 hours - my Seiko Mickey mouse watch is very thin, and I replace the batteries every 18months or so. 

In other words Mickey-Seiko I put on my wrist and forget about it - I never take it off and never charge it - and if I want to know what time it is I look at it.  If I want to make a phone call I use my iphone - again I would be carrying my iphone anyway since the iwatch requires it.

If you are thinking the apple watch, try the pebble first.

www.getpebble.com

Much less expensive, available at major realtors (best buy / amazon).

After a few weeks, you'll know if you'll use it and if you are okay wearing something like that on your wrist.  If you are comfortable with it and use it, then sell it on ebay and get an apple watch.

The Pebble Steel, which is the better of the two, is $199. You can get them for less on Ebay.

This is what my cousin did, and now he's all amped up for the apple watch.

-Seth

I'm a CB but for some reason love watches like Danb. It does frustrate me that a 3,000 watch doesn't tell time. My fiancé got me a nice Eco drive citizen that's very nice. I will prob never buy another automatic watch due to the maintanance. Plus you have to have a watch winder for the automatics. Troy

Okay, I hereby relinquish my CB badge.

Like Tim Cook said, I've been wanting to talk to my wrist since I was 5. I had the original decoder ring and all that jazz.

As a bonus I imagine Foreflight's imaginative programmers will have the thing tapping me on the wrist with alerts such as:

"hey dummy, look out for those mountains" - "hey dummy, don't cross that runway" - "hey dummy, look out for that converging traffic"

What's the downside, other than the $399.00 I'm out? That's only about 1/2 the cost of OH'ing one round instrument, or about 2 weeks worth of fuel expense.

Cnoe

I love my TAG, Breitiling and Rolex. The only one that's keeps the correct time is my TAG because it's the only one with batteries. All the others are alway a few minutes off. Very frustrating Troy

I wore my Omega for 24 years, but didn't want to pony up > 1AMU for overhaul. So I bought a TAG for about 10% more. It's three times as heavy, five times as thick, and the time varies more in a month than the Omega did in three or four years including all of the daylight savings manual adjustments. It's functional, it works, but I'm not impressed, my self-winding Seiko kept better time in junior high.

Apple watch? Any watch that has to be charged more often than my cell phone? No. Too much maintenance, chargers, cords, has to always go to the one place. Do I charge it in the living room where I sit, or in the bedroom where my watch has always lived when not on my arm? Never had a problem with my automatic watches stopping as I wore it (almost) every day.

You so called Cheap Bast$&ds are really disappointing me! The watch on the left I bought in 1989 for $89. I wore it up to a couple of years ago when the second hand fell off. I bought one of these $19 Timex watches for $10 on sale. It finally died this year. Looking for my next Swiss watch. :)

e9af6120ac7e1f3985286f56637fb144.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Something that would appeal Smart Watches is if they had a built in camera on the bracelet. You could use the watch itself as a viewfinder. This way your camera is at hand without being noticed when taking pictures/videos of sensitive events. How come Apple didn't think about this?

José

The dumbest thing about the Apple Watch is it's not water proof. Absolutely stupid. An expensive digital watch you can't go swimming with. I doubt very much I'll ever buy one because of this, but I will check it out as Apple has a good track record of convincing the skeptic in me to fork over the cash... and not regret it.

I don't see the value at the moment and the one day battery life is quite disappointing. That being said, I can also see a multitude of features for aviation that will inevitably make their way into this watch. Some more useful than others. The built in barometer in the iPhone is quite excellent and I can easily see setting cruise altitude and having the watch gently tap my wrist if I deviate. For guys flying pressurized aircraft set an alarm if cabin altitude climbs above designated height. How about alerts for timed approaches, crossing over a reporting waypoint, switch fuel tanks, etc. how about traffic alerts? This is just the tip and there will be many other uses. The alert feature alone will be quite useful for some.