Want to replace the original attitude indicator M20D

Hello Gang! I have a Sigma-Tek 5000B-37 attitude indicator and a new 1" vacuum gauge that I want to replace the original AI with. Any helpful hints would be grateful. Some say I need a tilted unit and some say I do not. 

I also have a EDM 800 JPI that I would like to install where the clock is between the altimeter and the T&Bank. Don't know if it will fit. Thank-you for the help in advance! 

Ron 

post-8106-0-04509700-1425937590_thumb.jp

It looks like you have a vertical panel so you could not use a tilt. The 8degree gyros are to be used only in the older style panels that are angled.

-Robert

There is a fold in the panel visible in the image as a horizontal line in the plastic panel overlay.

On our old Mooneys  the top portion of the pilot's panel has 0 degree tilt.

The bottom part of the pilot's panel is folded towards the rear and has a tilt of around 14 degrees.  These angles are measured in flight in level attitude, not on the ground.   You can get an inclinometer app for your smart phone to confirm these figures.

SO, if you put the gyro in the top half of the panel (where it is now) a zero tilt model is correct.

There's a recent thread on panel tilt and on a solid state AI:

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/14709-panel-tilt-on-1989-bravo/

• Like 1