Hello,

I'm in the market for a mooney (most likely m20c) and want to basically find one with no damage history and a relatively new engine, but that's it. My plan is to then get it painted, have the interior redone, and have new avionics installed. Has anyone had experience with this? And what mods are important/beneficial for a model c? I know there is a cowl conversion to help with cooling and speed, but are there any other ones?

Close the guppy mouth, for improved engine cooling.

Sabremech here is designing a whole new front end for improved cooling, better airflow and more speed.

Add the 201 windshield for better speed.

I've heard good things about the brake caliper reversal, "most bang for the buck." I'm thinking about this one.

Put in an IFR Approach GPS, for improved versatility and more options.

Look for...

Light weight starter

Alternator

Zeftronics voltage controller

JPI/EI/insight EGT/CHT monitor w/OAT

Fuel Flow monitor

Modern WAAS GPS

Paint, interior, tank sealant are nice.

These are the things I wanted when I had a C...

Best regards,

-a-

Well maintained mechanical gear gets much easier to use with experience.

• Like 1

Yes I'm going to fly in a model c next week to get the feel for it. Any and all suggestions for what to add on a m20 are much appreciated. I want to do a custom paint, new interior, and like a garmin 430 with an autopilot, and a two screen aspen. The cowl mod does look much nicer than the guppy mouth, does it make that big of a difference with hearing/cooling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hank, I had the brake reversal done on my J model and thought it was a waste of time,money and effort also I did not notice an increase as advertised, I think you have a C model and maybe that will be different, just giving my experience and if I could save you a couple bucks all the better, BTW after about a year I changed back to the way they were when new from the factory and did not notice a decrease..good luck..,Dan

One other question, is it actually possible to fit someone in the back seat? I'm about 6'1 if that helps.

Three people fit well. The back seater can sit on one side and use foot wells on the other side for more space.

I've made 4-adult flights before, but best limited to less than two hours. Check weight and balance--with 4 large guys, I was limited to 34 gallons of fuel.

P.S.--my electric gear go up and down in 3 seconds. I know guys with manual gear that are faster.

my e

One other question, is it actually possible to fit someone in the back seat? I'm about 6'1 if that helps.

My E is the same cabin as a C. The back seat is certainly usable, I have had 4 full sized adults aboard for flights of 2 hours or less. The manual gear takes a little practice but is very fast. The video link is going to SunNFun with 3 aboard including  6' friend in the back. I think you'll have to pay close attention to see me lower the gear.

I'll take a different approach to answering your question. My Dad had a 1964 C Model with a fresh engine, prop and paint job. he had the seats re-done and it was prettier than new. That airplane was a great performing airplane. In fact, Mooneys are known for providing the most cruise performance per horsepower of any certified, production airplane. I was talking to my Dad about the various modifications that I see owners have done to make their Mooneys faster. None of these mods are cheap by any means. Dad asked if it was really necessary. The stock Mooneys performed great as they were originally made. Most guys would be pretty happy with that performance. You'll end up spending a lot more money for a relatively small increase in speed. You'll need to decide for yourself if it is really worth it. Maybe it would be better to reserve some of those funds for the numerous maintenance bills that come with aircraft ownership and active flying.

Some modifications are driven by maintenance needs and are safety related items. Some you'll end up doing eventually if they haven't already been done to your airplane. It would be nice to purchase an airplane with the following modifications:

1) O & N fuel bladders versus tanks. More fuel capacity and less expensive future repairs. No more leaky integral wing tanks.

2) A no AD propellor hub.

3) Updated rubber shock doughnuts on the landing gear. Recent re-bushing of the gear is also a plus.

4) An airframe with zinc chromate versus one with no corrosion proofing.

5) ADS-B equipped.

These are just some thoughts from someone else that is giving some thought to doing what you are doing. The manual gear is quick and easy to use. I've flown both a C Model and a J Model and I'd take a good C with the manual gear any day.

Brian

• Like 1

I live in Austin Texas, and own a Malibu based in Georgetown. I'm flying up to Iowa next week to visit a friend with an m20c. What do you think about your mooney? Any quirks that should be discussed?

Are you two twins?

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/14736-mooney-refurbishing/#entry200692

You and the finance guy (aka DAD) want to become familiar with...

1) Prepurchase inspections and who is the best resource for you...

2) transition training, Mooney specific good to know stuff...

3) you live close enough...go visit AAA (huge wealth of Mooney knowledge and planes that you can see up close)

http://allamericanaircraft.com/Default.htm

My thoughts...,

-a-

• Like 1

You and the finance guy (aka DAD) want to become familiar with...

1) Prepurchase inspections and who is the best resource for you...

2) transition training, Mooney specific good to know stuff...

My thoughts...,

-a-

No. 1 will save time, trouble and expense.

No. 2 will make you a safer Mooney pilot.

Like last year when I needed an IPC due to missed flight time while moving from WV to AL, I grabbed a local CFII. On the first takeoff, he was all eyes and drooping jaw, "wow, this sure isn't a Cessna." Gave me a good review on procedures, did several practice approaches, it worked as an intro to the area and nearby fields. But he really couldn't give me any pointers on what to do with my plane, or how to get the results that I wanted.

Join MAPA now and attend a PPP as soon after your purchase and transition training as possible. They will teach you Mooney-specific procedures and performance settings in your plane. When I went to my first one five weeks after finishing required dual, my instructor had timed out and overhauled the engine in his M20C twice and was well into the third one.

• Like 2

I live in Austin Texas, and own a Malibu based in Georgetown. I'm flying up to Iowa next week to visit a friend with an m20c. What do you think about your mooney? Any quirks that should be discussed?

Of course get the pre purchase inspection.  Pay particular attention to see if they did SB 208 for tubular structure rust/corrosion.  What took the longest on my plane during this last annual is this SB.  The last time time it was done it was just pencil whipped.  But now at least I know it was done right and I will post pictures soon.  So If I were you get the owner to agree that you can open up the sidewall by the pilot side and take a peek.

Very few people take good care of their planes.  Just expect that you will spend almost double what you pay for it to make it right.  If you have that much in cash reserve it will actually be an enjoyable project.  

I paid 28k for a plane that had 500 SOH and 300 on the cylinders due to an AD and an STEC 30w/alt and a scimitar prop and a garmin 300xl with GPSS etc etc.  It needed paint interior and almost every tube and push pull tubes have been sanded and zinc phosphated and painted.  I got rid of the shot gun panel and installed amsafe shoulder harness and put in intercom jacks in the back and did the cowl mod, new LED landing light and a 406 ELT, tempest finewires and left mag 500 hour inspection and the plane power alternator and all hoses firewall forward ACF 50, got rid of that wire antenna in the front of the windscreen, made both blade antennas match, also some shaw fuel caps from a junkyard,,they cleaned up like brand new,,also changed out an old  narco dme for a kn64,,,,so much more I cannot remember.....I am in to it for just over 40k now, actually I stopped counting after 40k.  And I still want LED nav/strobes and a one piece windscreen and ADS and many other things.....

As far as damage history, I would not shy away from a plane like a C that may be 50 years old if it had damage from a gear up etc.  Mine did in the 60's and it was repaired very well and its no issue.  Most of these older planes have a skeleton in the closet or two.

There is also a SB 20-2171...it is for cracks in a spar splice....If it was not done you can take a look yourself during the pre buy if the belly is open.

If you go this route you better have a company like LASAR on speed dial...there were so many parts we got from them....

Good Luck..

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks, if you have pictures of what to look for that'd be fantastic, how much was your paint job/where'd you get it done just out of curiosity?

I just had the base color (RED) and the gold stripes sanded and resprayed.  Did it in corona CA.  Was not the most perfect job but the price was right and besides its not a Piper Malibu.......

They did a nice job though....

Let me see if I can put up a before and after photo of my tubes under the pilot window...standby