M20K Oil Dipstick

Does anybody have issues getting their oil dipstick to go back in?  Mine always hangs up with about six inches left and I have to press quite hard.  In fact I have to hold the metal about 3" below the top to stabilize the stick so it doesn't bend out from the downward pressure.  Wondering if this is common or if my dipstick needs to be modified/replaced.

Could be a Continental thing.....

Gently rotating it helps it slide by the structure it bumps into...

I have an IO550...

It's stick is 1/2 cable and 1/2 dip stick...

Best regards,

-a-

I think Byron may have had some advice for this situation...?

When I got my 231, it had a dipstick that appeared to be an automobile speedometer cable attached to the "handle" at the top, and a 6 or so inch blade with the quart markings apparently braised to the bottom. I assumed they were all that way, until a few years ago. I was at Dugosh's and they said they had never seen one like it.

I thought briefly about replacing it with a "stock" one, but finding out a used one was about $75, I decided since it worked fine for 10 years or so, I liked it fine.

Mine also has hard to read markings, almost like they were being worn off. But they are still readable.

Take your "worn out" dipsticks to a local craft show. (Clean it first!)

There will likely be someone with a laser setup to engrave photos onto wood, tile, etc., who can redo your numbers quick and cheap. Run the program twice, it will be deep enough to feel, and should easily outlast your engine.

Does anybody have issues getting their oil dipstick to go back in?  Mine always hangs up with about six inches left and I have to press quite hard.  In fact I have to hold the metal about 3" below the top to stabilize the stick so it doesn't bend out from the downward pressure.  Wondering if this is common or if my dipstick needs to be modified/replaced.

+1.  It reads pretty accurately after oil changes though.

If I remember correctly, the dipstick on my M20K would only go in one direction.  I would have to rotate it 180 degrees if I didn't put the correct side in the first time...hard to describe, but maybe you see what I'm saying...

• 5 months later...

No issue getting mine back in my 231.  What is an issue is I cant see the marks anymore at 8, 7, 6, and 5 litre indicators, they see to be disappearing on me.

I always noticed the "L" on the dip stick.  Does it really stand for liter?  Not that there is a significant difference between a liter and quart (5%).  It seems nothing else is metric on my plane.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some work done on the oil cooler on my 231, which required removing the tube that holds the dip stick.  I had never had any issues inserting the dip stick until the tube was reinstalled and suddenly I found it was hard to replace.  The mechanic had to slowly rotate the tube until it lined up with the hole in the block.  Had I not identified the issue on the ramp with the mechanic, I know I would be fighting that issue today.  The fix is very simple and only a small turn makes all the difference.

Tailwinds!