IPAD Air or IPAD Mini?

• 4 months later...

Yet another picture of an iPad mini with yoke setup. I just got this set up in the last couple of weeks. My onlyest problem with this setup is that the glare from outside light makes the iPad almost unusable.

I'll be experimenting with glare shields to remedy that. However, the mount itself is no problem seems to work well.

post-7101-0-92979100-1439905992_thumb.jp

Ryan,

There are fans of both sizes...

Will you be mounting it on the yoke?

Would you prefer it on the knee?

Will you be using it for other things like in the office or in the house?

It took a while for the Mini to get the Retina HD screen....

Follow-up questions....

1) does anyone use an iPhone 6+ To support their Nav needs?

2) (temporary) panel mounted weather and traffic would be nice?

Note on hardware crashing: Old IPads suffered some issues when the OS no longer got supported, but the Apps continued to grow in size and complexity. There is a useful life that is much shorter than what is typical of aviation nav/coms...

These are just ideas that come to mind, not recommendations...

Best regards,

-a-

I have an IPAD Air for my daily tasks, but bought an Ipad Mini for my plane, because it is smaller and more suitable for our cockpits than the Ipad AIr, which I never know where to put it. 

I have the Mini Ipad mounted on my yoke. I run Garmin Pilot and Jeppview for the charts.

Despite my presbyopia, I very much like my Mini Retina mounted  horizontally on the yoke in front of me. If I need to read the finest print, pinch/zoom works well. I'd put up with a too-big iPad for several years, usually somewhere inconvenient, either in my lap or my copilot's lap, because there was no room on the yoke for it. The bigger screen also required shifting my scan down or across, which had its own set of equilibrium problems.  I was concerned, though, that the smaller screen wouldn't be easy to read. Turns out it is, though, .and allows this short grandma who needs the seat all the way forward, to still see over it to the HSI and other useful gauges. Flaring is easier with the mini, too, given the space constraints. If you're 6'4, and most of that legs, the Air might be ok. Talk to your airport neighbors and try them both before you decide. The x-style attachment for the ram yoke mount also allows for better cooling, protecting against the overheat-shut-down, although I had to remove the bomb-proof case.

you guys using minis, any of you running wingx pro?

I prefer wingx to foreflight, but it seems that foreflight has a fullscreen mode for the chart, where wingx doesn't, or I can't figure it out. A friend with the mini said the approach plates fit really nice on the mini in fullscreen mode in foreflight. I might have to switch to a mini and the app. I think all the clutter on wingx makes the plate already seem a little small on a full size.

PV,

WingX is set up with three screens. User defined at a click of the buttons on the bottom of the screen. You decide what three pieces of info you want, in the order that you want them.

I prefer the airport data, vfr chart, and IFR charts all showing, add traffic and weather overlay...

Really it depends on the day...

An IFR chart, approach plate and airport data are all cool to have. Cycling through the flight, with the last plate being the taxi diagram.

So many details are available, they take years to learn and personalize.

Quick tutorial: push 'info' airport data shows up. Push 'screen', multiple screens show up. Pushing them in the right order gives you what you want, in the order you want it in, with the overlays that are available to you.

You can leave it on a VFR chart that fills the whole screen if you want to stay simple...

We used to compare features as they were released. Now we are comparing connectivity with all the various devices.

One thing that doesn't change, iPad apps are really low cost compared to the panel mount devices.

Best regards,

-a-

PV,

WingX is set up with three screens. User defined at a click of the buttons on the bottom of the screen. You decide what three pieces of info you want, in the order that you want them.

I prefer the airport data, vfr chart, and IFR charts all showing, add traffic and weather overlay...

Really it depends on the day...

An IFR chart, approach plate and airport data are all cool to have. Cycling through the flight, with the last plate being the taxi diagram.

So many details are available, they take years to learn and personalize.

Quick tutorial: push 'info' airport data shows up. Push 'screen', multiple screens show up. Pushing them in the right order gives you what you want, in the order you want it in, with the overlays that are available to you.

Best regards,

-a-

In wingx I normally run vfr or ifr chart on one screen and my plate on the other, then I can swap them, I don't generally run them in split screen mode.

What annoys me is when I go to the chart screen, I still have the banners at the top and bottom, on a mini I suspect this might take up too much real estate, I understand that foreflight doesn't do that and only shows the chart. I don't think I worded the question very well

With the banners there is some flexibility as well. If you can use all the features reliably, you earn a masters degree, I think...

A really useful banner, for some, shows your altitude with respect to mtns in front of you. Not helpful in Miami...? In that case, I turn that feature off.

I have the iPad and back that up with the iPhone.... The iPhone limits all the extras for the reasons you describe.

The modern iPad mini has a retina display so all that data will be readable if it isn't suppressed.

The hard part is what works for others may not work for you. There is a lot of personal choice involved.

Apple has new product announcements schedule for September release....

Having a plethora of cash or a future cash flow, a GTN with various boxes can talk to FF to upload your flight plan.

I have neither the plethora or the future of having that particular dough....

Back to the single aging iPad and preferred single App.

Nice thing now, WingX includes the black box to record your flight details. I used to use a completely different app for that...

Best regards,

-a-

Apple has new product announcements schedule for September release....

-a-

That's what I'm waiting for. Rumor has it a new mini will be announced in oct or nov, but probably not in sept. If I get an ipad air it's a little smaller overall then my ipad 2 but still too large to yoke mount most likely, if I get a mini it might be too small to read the plates easily. We'll see what they announce I guess.