IPAD Air or IPAD Mini?

Hello,

I am going to get an IPAD for flight software and was wondering opinions on the two different IPADs available. I am going to be using it to run FLYQ for inflight moving map and ADS-B in. Just wondering opinions on the size of the mini? IS it too small or is it just right? And one have any problems with running software on either of the IPAD's (eg. Programs crashing, video freezing etc.) I have been running stuff on a windows machine and have had good luck but unfortunately ADS-B for windows is not to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan Hoffman

Hello,

I am going to get an IPAD for flight software and was wondering opinions on the two different IPADs available. I am going to be using it to run FLYQ for inflight moving map and ADS-B in. Just wondering opinions on the size of the mini? IS it too small or is it just right? And one have any problems with running software on either of the IPAD's (eg. Programs crashing, video freezing etc.) I have been running stuff on a windows machine and have had good luck but unfortunately ADS-B for windows is not to be. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan Hoffman

Hey Ryan hope all is well I'm headed out to airport now. Going to shoot some approaches. As you know I have the IPad Air, I like it well enough but have also considered the Mini and may pick one up soon for the copilot side since I can run FlyQ on both without any extra cost.

Your welcome to come fly with and try my Air anytime.

Any chance you can join us in Yuma or Kerrville oe San Marcus?

Lacee

Ryan,

There are fans of both sizes...

Will you be mounting it on the yoke?

Would you prefer it on the knee?

Will you be using it for other things like in the office or in the house?

It took a while for the Mini to get the Retina HD screen....

Follow-up questions....

1) does anyone use an iPhone 6+ To support their Nav needs?

2) (temporary) panel mounted weather and traffic would be nice?

Note on hardware crashing: Old IPads suffered some issues when the OS no longer got supported, but the Apps continued to grow in size and complexity. There is a useful life that is much shorter than what is typical of aviation nav/coms...

These are just ideas that come to mind, not recommendations...

Best regards,

-a-

I started with the iPad and then bought the mini. I instantly fell in love with the iPad mini mounted on the yoke. The size of the mini is perfect for the yoke. I use the iPad for everything except in-flight. On the mini, I have installed as few apps as possible and use it almost exclusively in-flight. I don't like using the mini for email, web crawling etc, because, for those tasks, it is too small for my taste.

I have and use both. Air on the knee and mini on the modified suction mount and a pad attached in the corner of the pilot's window. It is perfect location for the mini. Right at the eye level and close enough to see every detail on the screen. I use Garmin Pilot App and GDL39 3D with battery backup. It connects to both simultaneously. So I can use synthetic vision on one and geo plates on second one for example. My second external GPS unit ( Garmin GLO) is ready and fully charged as a backup. I think the equipment itself and the software are very stabil in these days. Only issue you could experience is overheating and shooting down of the iPad if exposed to direct sun. It happened couple times. Now I am ready for that and I protect the iPad from the sun during taxing and in the flight I direct the air from the vent to the direction that cools iPad down.

I prefer the full size just because it's easier to read the approach plates. I still use my iPhone6 during flight to pick up metars and such. Regardless of your choice, I would highly recommend getting a generous sized back up charger. i.e.- mophie juice pack  On planes with 12v cigarette lighter chargers it just won't charge the iPad very well if at all

I have a mini on a yoke ram mount. I'm using foreflight, and I'd say it's perfect.

And just for contrast, I have a full-size iPad 3 on a yoke ram mount. I'm using foreflight, and I'd say it's perfect.

So, at update time, I'd probably go AIr rather than Mini. Like some others, I just like the bigger screen when I fly.

Just to throw in the other perspective. I have been flying with a Nexus 7 for over a year. Not paying the Apple tax is nice. Naviator is only $35/year with synthetic vision and Avare is free.

I like the 7" tablet on a yoke mount. I found trying to look down at a tablet in my lap was distracting.

I became dependent on my ASA kneeboard early in my flying and considered having it surgically attached to my leg.

When the iPad mini appeared along with Sporty's "MyClip" leg strap for it, I cancelled the surgery.

22659a.jpg

I prefer the mini and one of the reasons why, is it fits into my cargo shorts while I'm flying in the summer. Mooney cockpit is small already, the full size iPad takes up too much real estate!

You could try your EFB from work too ;-)

I prefer the mini and one of the reasons why, is it fits into my cargo shorts while I'm flying in the summer. Mooney cockpit is small already, the full size iPad takes up too much real estate!

Looks like the OP N757DL is a '64 E, probably with a Johnson bar. The full size iPad on your leg is not at all friendly with the bar.

I think you absolutely definitely must have a full size IPad. I just happen to have one for sale. It was just too big for a yoke mount. It covers up something you want to see, no matter how you adjust it. I got a Mini, but have not yet flown with it.

Mini is the best option if yoke mounted. ....... I like ForeFlight, SV and all of it on the Mini, on the yoke.

+ 1 from me too.

Ned Gravel

Lucky steward of C-FSWR, a '65 E model at Rockcliffe, Ontario, (CYRO)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the mini retina on a yoke mount, with Foreflight. But that's co-pilot side. I have a Garmin 796 with a GDL-39 on my yoke. The Mini and 796 are about the same size. I like the 796 for its brighter graphics in sunlight, but it does run hot. I use the ipad/foreflight as my EFB, essentially, while the 796 functions as my moving map and WX source.

I think the mini with foreflight is a good solution, and it's a great complement to a non-glass panel. Especially the Pro version so you can see your position on approach plates. Even if I'm vfr, I often use the final segments of an IFR approach to help find an unfamiliar runway.

Tom -- which clamp did you like on the center windshield post?

Sorry, I can't find a picture of one. it is an old serrated flange style. You loosen the bolt and the mating serrated flanges kinda "click" over each other to the angle you want. then you tighten the bolt. I have it screwed directly to the back of the ram mount for  the mini.  

• Like 1