Klixon replacement switch covers

A few months ago, I had ordered two of the replacement 3D printed switch covers from Shapeways. The product appeared identical to the original but the fit was just a little bit loose. Day before yesterday I decided to email the product owner listed on the website and inquire if he could make an updated version with a better fit. The reply was a surprising "yes". He has now posted an updated version 0.6 for a slightly tighter fit. I have just ordered two of this version and expect delivery on 3/19. I will post an update as soon as I receive them to let the forum know if the fit is now better.

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there again Tim.

I have since made inquiries with LASAR and Dugosh.  I discovered the originals are not available and only the later models are, however the circuit breaker would also have to be purchased, which makes it very expensive.  This is in reference to an 80 model J.

Looking very forward to your Pirep.

Victor

Hi there again Tim.

I have since made inquiries with LASAR and Dugosh. I discovered the originals are not available and only the later models are, however the circuit breaker would also have to be purchased, which makes it very expensive. This is in reference to an 80 model J.

Looking very forward to your Pirep.

Victor

Victor -- are they saying the ETA switches are only available? The older Mooneys have the Klixon style and the ETA was introduced later. They are not interchangeable since the connection to the buss is different. You can still buy the Klixon. Just not the covers separately.

G'day there Marauder.

The covers that helitim is sourcing are Klixon style, but look more like the ETA type from what limited information I know.  Helitim might be able to elaborate further on this.

Victor

Good day! We have unfortunately discussed these switches for a bit. You can find details of the differences between the switch types in this thread: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/11420-rocker-switch-cover-replacements-3d-print-your-own/?hl=print

I posted several pictures of the differences between the switches and covers on pages 1 & 2. 

I should be more diligent with the search function.

Thanks for the link Marauder and particularly your pictures. Very helpful.

Victor

You're welcome. I have been on the quest for these Klixon covers for quite a while. I was hopeful that the 3D printing process would work and I could order up a set to replace my tired ones.

Has anyone found a source for the Klixon covers yet? 3D or otherwise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These covers arrived today. They are the Klixon variety. Total cost was $16.99 delivered for two covers. Still have not had a chance to try them on the plane yet so, not exactly sure of the fit. Will let you know.

If you need an ETA version, go to the Shapeways website and search ETA and it is available.$4.50 each

post-12162-0-74394900-1426648211_thumb.j

• Like 3

A few months ago, I had ordered two of the replacement 3D printed switch covers from Shapeways. The product appeared identical to the original but the fit was just a little bit loose. Day before yesterday I decided to email the product owner listed on the website and inquire if he could make an updated version with a better fit. The reply was a surprising "yes". He has now posted an updated version 0.6 for a slightly tighter fit. I have just ordered two of this version and expect delivery on 3/19. I will post an update as soon as I receive them to let the forum know if the fit is now better.

Tim

Never mind. Found it. Let us know how they fit.

These covers arrived today. They are the Klixon variety. Total cost was $16.99 delivered for two covers. Still have not had a chance to try them on the plane yet so, not exactly sure of the fit. Will let you know.

If you need an ETA version, go to the Shapeways website and search ETA and it is available.$4.50 each

They look like they have a matte finish. Do they have the glossy ones as the originals?

How about imprinting labels on them?

I was expecting them to be glossy when i received mine, but they are very rough and almost like packing peanuts. So i sanded them with 400 grit and went to the store and got clear labels for my printer and printed the label, then I clear coated the switch, I'm going out to put it on tomorrow. The font was the closest i could find, and its "duru sans" 8 size. I will post more pictures when i get back. I checked them with my digital caliper, and they are with in 100TH" to the original, so i hope they fit.  

post-7741-0-25838200-1426733944_thumb.jp

post-7741-0-61120500-1426733963_thumb.jp

post-7741-0-15765000-1426733971_thumb.jp

post-7741-0-15023700-1426734452_thumb.jp

• Like 2

As Marky_24 stated, they are a slightly rough finish. Follow his directions for sanding, labeling and clear coating. The new ones do fit a little bit better but, do not have the snug fit of the originals. What I wondered about is if the Klixon switch itself may have just a slight amount of wear that prevents the switch cover from fitting tightly. Next time I am at the airport, I am going to try a new cover on a different switch to test that theory.

• Like 1

I was expecting them to be glossy when i received mine, but they are very rough and almost like packing peanuts. So i sanded them with 400 grit and went to the store and got clear labels for my printer and printed the label, then I clear coated the switch, I'm going out to put it on tomorrow. The font was the closest i could find, and its "duru sans" 8 size. I will post more pictures when i get back. I checked them with my digital caliper, and they are with in 100TH" to the original, so i hope they fit.

As Marky_24 stated, they are a slightly rough finish. Follow his directions for sanding, labeling and clear coating. The new ones do fit a little bit better but, do not have the snug fit of the originals. What I wondered about is if the Klixon switch itself may have just a slight amount of wear that prevents the switch cover from fitting tightly. Next time I am at the airport, I am going to try a new cover on a different switch to test that theory.

Thanks for the update and the instructions. I would be interested in what you find out with the fit on other switches. As you know, some of those switches (pitot heat, Nav) should have a lot less activations than others. I suspect there is some wear involved.

Switch is installed, but the fit was very loose. I am thinking its more of a material problem, rather than a design. I will interested to hear how helitim's new ones fit. I think they plastic may have to much give in it, but I stuck a little duct tape in all the right places, and boom fits like a glove. Its a bit of work to get it looking good but over all I'M happy for with the results for $6. 

post-7741-0-63670400-1426826171_thumb.jp

post-7741-0-77098600-1426826179_thumb.jp

post-7741-0-75716100-1426826185_thumb.jp

Switch is installed, but the fit was very loose. I am thinking its more of a material problem, rather than a design. I will interested to hear how helitim's new ones fit. I think they plastic may have to much give in it, but I stuck a little duct tape in all the right places, and boom fits like a glove. Its a bit of work to get it looking good but over all I'M happy for with the results for $6. 

Have you gone back to the company who made them and let them know about the loose fit? I wonder if just a little squeaking of the CAD design couldn't just tighten it up a bit.

"Have you gone back to the company who made them and let them know about the loose fit? I wonder if just a little squeaking of the CAD design couldn't just tighten it up a bit."

Yes, if you view my original post it clarifies this point somewhat.

"Have you gone back to the company who made them and let them know about the loose fit? I wonder if just a little squeaking of the CAD design couldn't just tighten it up a bit."

Yes, if you view my original post it clarifies this point somewhat.

I just re-read the whole thread. Marky has version 1 and you just received version 2. I want to try a set but want to wait until you guys are happy with the fit.