Columbia Pilot rescue

I was on a trip this past weekend and was out at the airport on Sunday.  The gentlemen parked next to me was a Dr. in a fairly new Columbia 350 and try as he might, he couldn't get his plane started.  Seems that the Columbia uses some type of pressure plate / clutch starting system vice the teeth and gear set up we are all familiar with.  After a time, he was still parked there trying to get it to turn over, but after numerous attempts the prop would hardly budge.  I went over to see if I could help out.  He asked if I'd mind holding the breaks so he could "hand prop" it.  I didn't think that would work...and it didn't.  Anyway, to make a long story short, I grew up around planes and boats, and one boating tradition that I hold near and dear is never leave another boater stranded.  Well I figured the same applies to pilots so when he asked, (really he begged) for a ride to his home airport, I happily obliged…He had rounds early the next morning and was quickly running out of daylight.

Turns out this particular Dr. had never flown in a Mooney (of any type), even though he had over 1000 hrs. With a decent tailwind we were making 160+ over the ground on about 10.3 gph.  The 200 nm trip took just over 1hr 20min. During the flight, he politely asked me about some specs like cruise speed, useful load, FF and endurance.  It turns out that he’d been thinking about selling his Columbia.  He was so impressed with my “old” M20F; he said he had decided to put his plane up for sale and look at a newer acclaim or 201 MSE as a replacement.

Just goes to show you that once the competition flys a Mooney, even an old one like mine, they are impressed.

Very interesting story George. I was recently reading about the many misconceptions about the Mooney on another forum and was amazed at how far off base most of them are. It's the usual misguidance about them being hard to land, tiny cabin, expensive to maintain... Most of the guys that are making the comments are going off what they have read or what a buddy told them. Hardly any of it was first hand knowledge. It's good to see someone of another "faith" being so impressed with our wonderful line. I recently brought a life long Cherokee owner up and he was very surprised at how comfortable and spacious it was.

Quote: The-sky-captain

Very interesting story George. I was recently reading about the many misconceptions about the Mooney on another forum and was amazed at how far off base most of them are. It's the usual misguidance about them being hard to land, tiny cabin, expensive to maintain... Most of the guys that are making the comments are going off what they have read or what a buddy told them. Hardly any of it was first hand knowledge. It's good to see someone of another "faith" being so impressed with our wonderful line. I recently brought a life long Cherokee owner up and he was very surprised at how comfortable and spacious it was.

I have a friend here in Kona with a Cirrus SR20.  It is the same kind of thing.  His glass cockpit and spacious interior is really nice, like a fine sports car.  However, my M20J cruises about 8-10 KTAS faster, burns less gas, climbs better, longer range/edurance and cost almost $100,000 less, even after I put in all new avionics, paint and leather interior.

His Cirrus is very nice, but it is pretty cool to own an airplane that even makes owners of new fancy expensive airplanes a little envious Wink 

• 2 months later...