Caravan formation flying clinic in Madison before EAA??? Any chance?

MooneyPTG

Kevin,

Passed it on to the Mooney Caravan group.

Bucko

On Feb 28, 2015, at 10:42 PM, Kevin Kuehn <kuehnprinting@gmail.com> wrote:

What about a formation course in Madison a day or so before every one arrives. How long does it take to get trained. I think this would be a great way to get more mooneys trained as well as to Oshkosh!

Kevin Kuehn

Kuehn Printing LLC

401 N Quincy St

Green Bay WI 54301

920 621 3471

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin,

Passed it on to the Mooney Caravan group.

Bucko

On Feb 28, 2015, at 10:42 PM, Kevin Kuehn <kuehnprinting@gmail.com> wrote:

What about a formation course in Madison a day or so before every one arrives. How long does it take to get trained. I think this would be a great way to get more mooneys trained as well as to Oshkosh!

Kevin Kuehn

Kuehn Printing LLC

401 N Quincy St

Green Bay WI 54301

920 621 3471

I would DEFINITELY be interested in something like this!! Yuma just isn't going to work for me this year, but I'd still love to be able to participate in the Caravan!

• 1 month later...

There will not be a formation course at Madison the day prior to leaving for Oshkosh.  The short answer is that the safety pilots are also element leads and will be taking their elements up for practice and will be working on special projects.  We have thought about this on repeated occasions, but there is too much activity to do a training clinic for newbies effectively the day prior to launch.  I suggest planning ahead and look at the Mooney Formation Clinic in West Virginia, a B2OSH clinic and/or contact the Caravan via the website.  Our goal is quality and not quantity.  So we take training very seriously and to do this properly, a weekend clinic is the best and proven approach.  

• 1 month later...

We are a volunteer organization. Cowboy and I probably have as much time volunteering to get pilots proficient as anyone, but Madison is our one chance for all of our Leads and safeties across the US and Canada to fly together and have fun. We are able to do things like our 10-ship C2Osh "salute" flight and advanced stuff. Given the Bo, Cherokee, Cessna and now growing Cirrus interest and sharing of events, there are plenty of opportunities for interested pilots to get to a clinic and become proficient. Many of our pilots fly with other groups and we accept their pilots at our clinics.

That said, if you are interested in the Caravan and for whatever reason cannot get to a clinic anywhere with anyone, we will get you proficient. But our limited resources (we aren't a paid group) forces us to focus on pilots who have registered and committed to fly the Caravan. To my knowledge no one who has committeed and registered has been turned away because they could not make a clinic, and we have had pilots register from Canada, Australia and Europe.

So if you're serious, sign up. Read the materials and study them. Watch the video'd class, and go up and practice some basic stick and rudder skills (land amd takeoff without flaps, take off at 70 knots, and try a flight or two looking outside and ignoring your gizmos). You'll be able to fly the Caravan after a few flights.

See you in Madison!

Larry "Joker" Brennan

N9201A 1978 M20J

• 3 weeks later...