Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Hi David,

I have the Hartzell 2 blade scimitar prop (top prop)  would I need a different spenner with your Cowl mod ?

It is my understanding that the spinner falls  under the Propeller TC and as I understand it myself (as  a mechanic) or whoever can't be changing spinners a at whim without having some sort of STC or some other type paperwork involved. Is your Cowl STC is going to cover airframe for the cowling and spinner  under the  propeller TC's. Or am I missing somehting ?

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

I'm going to use Hartzell and McCauley spinners as part of my STC. I will have to provide documentation to the FAA covering the spinners and highly unlikely that I can use any spinner outside the TC for the prop.

As soon as I get my C model finished and flying, I'll start on the lower cowling for the E&F models. It's still a year away from getting the STC finished due to FAA and DER workload. I intend on submitting the paperwork for the C&G's to get that going while working out the other models unless my DER advises me to do them together.

It's easier to mod the airplane than do the paperwork.

David

• Like 2

I've thought about the RV spinner and haven't ruled it out. One concern that I'd have using one is that I'd most likely be required to carry out 100 hours of test flying just for spinner certification. I'm not sure the cost and time to certify a fiberglass spinner is really worth it. It's just easier and I think in the long run cheaper to use an already certified spinner in my kit.

Thanks,

David

• Like 3

it won't matter if it has an ARI, LASAR or is original. This mod will fit the 66 and later C & G models. 66 and later E & F models next and then the earlier models.

I need to do some research on a Mooney with the original spinner to see if I can come up with a kit that will work.

Thanks,

David

it won't matter if it has an ARI, LASAR or is original. This mod will fit the 66 and later C & G models. 66 and later E & F models next and then the earlier models.

I need to do some research on a Mooney with the original spinner to see if I can come up with a kit that will work.

Thanks,

David

How about those of us with Hartzell 3-blade props?

Hi Cliffy,

I'll include the D. It might not be in the first STC just like the pre 66 airplanes, but I do plan on doing an STC for the 65 and older birds. There's a cowling set on EBay right now I'm contemplating buying for the early planes at a reasonable price. I think I get them for the future mod. It will work with the three blade prop with the correct part number spinner. I'll work more on specifics of that later on in the mod.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. While I'm waiting on the fiberglass work I've turned my attention to the new baffling. I have another cowling I can put on to do most of the baffling except for the front two cylinders. The new prototype carb airbox is being fabricated and should be ready for installation and fitting in a few weeks. I won't have much for pictures for a while, but work is being done.

Thanks again,

David

• Like 3

Just purchased a set of pre 66 Mooney cowlings for future mod work. I'll look to buy more for different years and models as they become available or as I need them. It's going to take time, but there will be cowling mod options for most of the vintage Mooneys in the future.

Thanks,

David

• Like 10

While I wait for the cowling parts to be made, I stripped the paint from the top cowling in preparation for the new parts. I also received the pre 66 cowling parts for future modification. I find it interesting that Mooney used spot welds on the aluminum on these cowls. I've been working with spot welds on a Corsair restoration that's ongoing. The older cowlings will present a challenge to mod, but I'll get it done.
David

post-7497-0-24200900-1430702876_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-19513200-1430702892_thumb.jp

Learned something new about Mooneys today!

Spot welding aluminum and they don't come falling apart after 50 years of vibration.

The challenge with aluminum, is its ability to spread/transfer the heat you are trying to weld with...

Thank you David.

Best regards,

-a-

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the heads up on the other cowling design. I'll keep my eyes out for one of those or just need to find a volunteer airplane when the time comes. Still on track for getting the prototype done on mine by the end of the month. It doesn't look like I'll have parts to bring with me to the MAPA Homecoming. I'll bring plenty of pictures to show and look for input or answer questions if anyone has one or two.

Thanks,

David