Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

I almost finished the rear baffle panel on my upper cowl. Just need to put the flame resistant sealant on and it's finished. I also worked on a new air filter box today and am liking it so far. Much better than the fiberglass one I made for my airplane. I'll install this on mine and make sure it fits like I expect it to. 

David

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

• Like 6

Hi David,

So regarding the Hartzell scimitar HCIC2YR- 1BFP F7497 2 blade  propeller and 835-54(P) spinner what will allow me to move the larger 14" diameter backing  plate ?   would that be in your cowl mod STC  allow a '67C owner to deviate from P920 TC or ????

Just curious

James '67C

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I am praying to the Mooney gods that one day I may be blessed with this mod and alleviate me from the 420*F+ CHTs I see on climbout...in the winter...

If you have 420+ deg F CHT temps in climbout (in the winter no less) there are some serious holes in your doghouse.

Just sayin.......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I am praying to the Mooney gods that one day I may be blessed with this mod and alleviate me from the 420*F+ CHTs I see on climbout...in the winter...

1 hour ago, Oscar Avalle said:

I join you in your prayer! If you find a solution let me know, so I start praying to the same gods.

Per www.godchecker.com, I think the correct deity is Kui-Xing, the Chinese God of Official Documents and Paperwork.  I would ask if he has any sway with pushing Sabremech's STC paperwork through the FAA. Also tell him my engine burnt an exhaust valve for him recently as an offering :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

There are a lot of holes. I don't have the tools or expertise to combat them.

This is one of those times where, instead of selling your strengths (where you make money), you may be required to buy your stated weakness (lack of expertise and tools) to do it for you.

Like this.

The unfortunate consequence of this action is complete and utter loss of any standing in the CB club.

Sorry.

After overhaul 2.jpg

After overhaul 3.jpg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

This is one of those times where, instead of selling your strengths (where you make money), you may be required to buy your stated weakness (lack of expertise and tools) to do it for you.

Like this.

The unfortunate consequence of this action is complete and utter loss of any standing in the CB club.

Sorry.

After overhaul 2.jpg

After overhaul 3.jpg

It will be your choice, Raptor baby--buy some sheet metal work (took me two annuals' worth), or buy some new cylinders.  Nothing personal, that's just how it is . . . . 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

HI TTaylor,

I'd probably just need to buy them through Hartzell or get TCB Composites to manufacture composite spinners. I've been fairly focused on the new cowling and will need to get back on the spinner options again.

Thanks,

David

On 2/7/2017 at 7:30 PM, Raptor05121 said:

There are a lot of holes. I don't have the tools or expertise to combat them.

I've heard great things about a little RTV silicone used to fill holes lowering temps.  I need to see about that sometime myself.