Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Here's a list of spinners that will work with my modified cowling:

Hartzell 2 blade: A-2295-5, A-2295-5P

Hartzell 3 blade: A-2295-4P

McCaulley 3 blade: D-6504-P

David

David -- do you have any pictures of these spinners? I googled the Hartzell 2 blade spinners but could not find a picture of what they look like.

I also went through my plane logs to see if I could find out what was installed. No luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi David,

Is there much difference between the  Hartzell 2 blade: A-2295-5, A-2295-5P  spinner and  the newer  835-54(P) spinner for 2 blade scimitar Hartzell prop ?

What would be involved to get  the Hartzell scimitar HCIC2YR- 1BFPlF7497 2 blade  propeller and 835-54(P) spinner included in the STC  regarding cowling changes?

Thanks,

James '67C

41 minutes ago, jamesm said:

Hi David,

Is there much difference between the  Hartzell 2 blade: A-2295-5, A-2295-5P  spinner and  the newer  835-54(P) spinner for 2 blade scimitar Hartzell prop ?

What would be involved to get  the Hartzell scimitar HCIC2YR- 1BFPlF7497 2 blade  propeller and 835-54(P) spinner included in the STC  regarding cowling changes?

Thanks,

James '67C

Hi James, 

I'll talk with Hartzell and see if there are any huge differences that would impact it's use in my STC. I know the dimensions and clearances I need so I should be able to determine if it will work or if I need to change anything to make it fit.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

I'm gong to say, 99% chance that spinner won't work, Hank and Raptor...  if you look above, the spinners are for the 201 style cowl, not the old m20 style...  Look at the back of the spinner distance to the propeller.  This topic of old spinners was dealt with in the early parts of this forum.  The change of spinners is inherent to the ARI cowl mod on which this was based.

Add approx 1-1.2 AMUs to the price of the cowl mod for a new spinner, if my info from a recent ARI mod I know of is still accurate.

Edited by cctsurf
add last sentance

Just now, cctsurf said:

I'm gong to say, 99% chance that spinner won't work, Hank and Raptor...  if you look above, the spinners are for the 201 style cowl, not the old m20 style...  Look at the back of the spinner distance to the propeller.  This topic of old spinners was dealt with in the early parts of this forum.  The change of spinners is inherent to the ARI cowl mod on which this was based.

Add approx 1-1.2 AMUs to the price of the cowl mod for a new spinner, if my info from a recent ARI mod I know of is still accurate.

I agree with cctsurf. I found the -5P application chart on the Hartzell site. It said it was for the J models. I couldn't find the -5. David indicated the difference between the -5 and -5P was polished or not, it seems logical that the spinner is the pointed J model.

Hi Hank and Raptor,

Your current stock style spinner won't work with my mod. I need the extra space gained by moving the spinner backing plate forward in order to relocate the air filter in the left cylinder inlet. I'm working hard to keep the cost down to a reasonable amount for the kit. Still a ways to go but slowly plugging along.

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Guess it's time to dig through my logbooks and see which Hartzell spinner I have on my 3-blade prop . . .

image.jpg

Hank -- if you have some other pictures showing the clearance of your spinner with your cowl mod, I would like to see them. My cowl mod is pretty close to the spinner and I am seeing some scraps on it. Wonder if it is coming from it.

I wish I could use the oil cooler mod on the O360 but alas not available for the C. Was told that even though it looks like air would be forced into the cooler from the front it actually flows out backwards from what you would think. I like your work on this great cowl mod. Good luck with its future.

41 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Hank -- if you have some other pictures showing the clearance of your spinner with your cowl mod, I would like to see them. My cowl mod is pretty close to the spinner and I am seeing some scraps on it. Wonder if it is coming from it.

Yes, at some point there was some rubbing about the 5:00 position looking from the front. Don't have a good photo from that side, and lucky man that I am I get to work this weekend (1400-0200 Sat, then 1200-1600 Sun). Won't be much time to fly other than Sat morning, but that may not work. I'll get some soon anyway.

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Hi James, 

I'll talk with Hartzell and see if there are any huge differences that would impact it's use in my STC. I know the dimensions and clearances I need so I should be able to determine if it will work or if I need to change anything to make it fit.

Thanks,

David

Please me too!  I have the top prop with 835-58P spinner

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sabremech said:

Hi James, 

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

While you're talking to them, can you please mention IO3582F2 also?  it is long and pointy like the 201 and just wondering if it could work with only a different back plate or something?  on my plane, it already appears sit out pretty far from the cowl compared to OEM spinners that came on F models.

thanks

craig

HI Craig,

Will you be at Oshkosh at all this year? Not sure if I saw you saying you were on the other threads. If you are, we can try my upper cowl on your aircraft to see how my mod would fit or not with your spinner.

David

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

HI Craig,

Will you be at Oshkosh at all this year? Not sure if I saw you saying you were on the other threads. If you are, we can try my upper cowl on your aircraft to see how my mod would fit or not with your spinner.

David

Hi David,

i wasn't planning on going to OSH, as its tough breaking away from the fam for that long and im probably still a little green for that anyway.    My focus right now is finishing up my IR.  I was thinking about triple tree though, as its only an hour from here. ;)

thanks!

craig

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orionflt said:

Hey Dave,

Do you still want the early C lower cowl that I said I would send to you last yr? 

Can't believe a year has gone by already.... if you want it I will bring it out to Osh with me.

Brian

Hi Brian,

If you don't mind bringing it, I can still use it.

Thank you,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I think you had mentioned earlier, but couldn't find it...   Regarding the oil cooler, are you offering a lower cowl option that is just smooth down there for folks who have the oil cooler relocation mod?  I've been thinking about doing that mod because there is a certain airspeed in cruise that stops air flow through there and my oil temp gets high pretty quickly... but this is based on my oem cowl... perhaps your cowl improves oil cooling because of the smaller inlets??

Also, very interested to hear about your discussions at OSH about spinners!

Thanks

Craig

On January 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM, carl said:

I just pulled this off Coy Jacob's Mooney mart page( are they closed?). I was amazed at the price, expensive ,maybe cause i'm just poor.

carl 

Change Your Pre-201 Into A M20J/MSE (FWF) At A Fraction Of Trading Up

This Factory OEM; (Original Equipment Mfg.) Cowl Mod completely changes your Pre-201 Firewall Forward (FWF) into a Mooney Factory 205/201 clone! Increase cruise 5-6 MPH & lower Oil & Cyl. temps!

In order to insure resale, ease of maintenance, and acceptance for years to come, we use an extensive list of Genuine Mooney (OEM) Factory Parts and duplicate the factory installation exactly.

Don't be confused by non-factory (non-OEM) or PMA (homemade) look-alike Mods!

Mechanics and owners alike love this mod because of the increased accessibility to the vital engine components. Included are: new (or pre-owned) upper and lower Mooney Factory M20J Cowls and cowl flaps, new air box and filter assay., spinner and bulkhead, all new engine baffling, and relocating the oil cooler and landing light assay's. etc. In general, all your old pre-M20J parts FWF which are subject to vibratory wear and fatigue are replaced. This mod is not an expense, but an investment! And, it is one of the main mods to turn a pre-201 into a M20J and it's resale value is documented in the BLUEBOOK!

Notes: Besides this being one of the most dramatic 201 up-grade mods available, unfortunately it is also one of the most expensive if all new components are utilized! Therefore, we have elected to offer this mod on a special order basis and in an attempt to keep the costs down, we will offer this mod with used and/or re-manufactured components as removed from OEM M20J aircraft when available. Electric MSE Cowl Flaps and the special 205 pilots side blister cowl flap are popular options.

#101MM: 201/205 OEM Factory COWLING MOD:
(for all 200hp M20's) Installed (exchange).
(w/some used components)
(OEM new components)
$11,900+/-
$18,795+/-
Reman O/Hauled OEM 201 Cowl Assy:
*Notes: Call for exact quote and used parts availability on your specific Mooney as the supply is limited of re-man cowls.
$12,900+/-

That's cheap to make a 201 clone. Those look like mid 90s prices.

Hi David---

Very excited about your work on this cowl.

I've not seen you mention that your cowl will work with the spinner for the MT 3-blade----have you checked that one?

I am a new Mooney owner so pls forgive if that spinner is the same as the ones you've already mentioned.

Thanks!

Edited by Aviationinfo