Vintage Mooney Cowling Mod

Dave,

All comments aside as to how you  managed to keep your aircraft flying while developing your cowling mod, i can only congratulate you for your willingness and gumption to undertake such a task to a successful result. I just hope that one day i will be able to use it. You get my support.

Francis G

Hi Francis G, thanks much. I was going to do something as I couldn't stand the way the front of my airplane looked. 

Hi Carl, next step is the STC process. I still need to do some fitting of baffling and the air intake on an E or F model to help combine the models into one STC. 

Thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nicholas,

My BFR is now out of date, so I'm getting that handled and then back on to doing a performance run or two to see what I've gained if any over my original cowling enclosure which was an ARI mod. I'm not sure what I expect over my old enclosure, but I'm certain I'll see some speed gain. I'll have to get another cowling mod done on an airplane with a completely stock cowling to get a real comparison from stock to my cowling mod. Not sure if the weather will cooperate this time of year in Southeastern Wi, so it might be a while before some data will be able to be shared.

Thank you,

David

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks guys for the compliments on my cowling. I think I have a pretty good compromise working with a price constraint as I certainly could have done a completely new cowling, but then few people would want it at what it would cost. I have the 66  and up C & G cowling mod pretty complete and can proceed to building the STC package and get that submitted. The 66 and up E & F models, I still have the baffling to work out and the adapter to the air filter to make. I'm hoping to find an E or F near me to take some measurements then I can get that package going. 

I'll have some performance numbers for my airplane soon and will share that data, but I think the best comparison will be getting data on a stock airplane then install  my kit and run the performance again for real gains. I expect some, but I already had an ARI enclosure on mine, so my numbers are going to be compared to that and not stock. 

Thanks again,

David

• Like 3

Thanks guys for the compliments on my cowling. I think I have a pretty good compromise working with a price constraint as I certainly could have done a completely new cowling, but then few people would want it at what it would cost. I have the 66  and up C & G cowling mod pretty complete and can proceed to building the STC package and get that submitted. The 66 and up E & F models, I still have the baffling to work out and the adapter to the air filter to make. I'm hoping to find an E or F near me to take some measurements then I can get that package going. 

I'll have some performance numbers for my airplane soon and will share that data, but I think the best comparison will be getting data on a stock airplane then install  my kit and run the performance again for real gains. I expect some, but I already had an ARI enclosure on mine, so my numbers are going to be compared to that and not stock. 

Thanks again,

David

I have a '75 "F" in Poplar Grove. C77. You are welcome to take all the measurements you want!

I am about 10 minutes away. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Marauder said: As I for your F Guinea Pig... Oink oink. Or is that a different kind of pig?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trying not to make girlfriend joke...ugh. 

Dangerous tactic. Right up there with running lean of peak without CamGuard and landing at 82 MPH with your tail damaged because you used a tail weight during your annual and because your Garmin isn't talking nicely to your Aspen.

Did I cover all the threads?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 6